What's new

My First Razor... Adjustable or Fixed?

I would recommend the Merkur 34c.

This is by far the most recommended razor. I'm curious though if people recommending it are aware the 38 is the same razor with just a longer handle (I have fairly large hands)? If they are, does the 38 present some type of issue for them I'm not hearing about?

I began DE shaving with the Merkur 34c, then bought a Muhle r89 and then a Feather AS-D2. All superb razors and just great to start out with, but personally I am at the point where I get my best shaves from a straight or a more aggressive DE or SE razor.

Best of luck with your shaving endeavors.... it really is a fun hobby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get whichever one you like the look of most. Some shavers in the past started out with adjustable models, while others used two or three piece razors, and they all managed. With all the advice available here, the process should be even quicker for you than it was for them. The important thing is to start, because any DE razor is better than carts or electric as far as I'm concerned.

Except the futur. It may look sexy but it bites like a starving mongoose, not the best to start with.

Welcome aboard, I started with Micro touch one. It. Was a good starter razor, mild but with a sharp blade quite efficient. I soon moved on to an adjustable, Gillette Super Adjustable. I now have many vintage razors and a lot of choices at shave time. Each one shaves differently, some took a lot of practice to get my technique right. Take your time find what works for you, take advantage of this forum. Tons of great advise from very knowledgeable people. As for blades I hope Voskhod is on your list...

I concur with the recommendation of a vintage Gillette. But not an adjustable to start. Take away the temptation to play until after the technique has a little time to mature. A tech or a SS.

Perfecto 100% Pure Badger Shaving Brush

Perfecto Deluxe Chrome Razor and Brush Stand

Blade Sampler: 5 FEATHER Hi-Stainless (Japan) 5 Gillette Platinum (Russia) 5 DERBY (Turkey) 5 ASTRA Superior Platinum (Russia) 5 7 O'clock Super Stainless (Russia) 5 Silver Blue (Russia) 5 SHARK Super Chrome (Egypt)
Just my experience...

Don't go with the Perfecto Brush. I had a very bad experience with one. Mine had no backbone (stiffness when you press down). For the same $$$, start with a synthetic (I've got a RazoRock Plissoft for the Italian Barber - awesome brush, and there are other comparable ones). I loved the feel of the Perfecto handle, but the brush was lousy.

I have the Perfecto Razor and Brush stand in black and love it. Fits my razor nicely, and my brush fits on top (I slide the bristles into the holder and the handle rests on top nicely)

For blades, for me, GSB blades were the standard that I measured other blades against, and still having a great time getting blades from all over the world. 5 blade of any kind will give you enough experience to know whether you like them or not. Use only 2 or 3 and save the others to revisit after your shaving skills matured. You may find that technique makes a blade much nicer and your opinion may change.

I like all razors, but I love adjustable razors.

A Gillette Slim adjustable or a Gillette Super Adjustable short handle (or long handle if you have huge hands) is an outstanding razor, generally modestly priced, and ideal whether you're a newbie or a veteran shaver.

Resist the temptation to be constantly fiddling with the adjustment of the razor. Find a setting that is a good compromise between comfort and efficiency and leave it on that stetting. At that point, pretend it's no longer an adjustable, and then focus on technique, different blades, and soaps.

I actually have spent the last hour since Lightcs1776 suggested that looking at adjustable slims. I'm sure that's a great suggestion but I'm not sure what's a good deal, if something is going to be wrong with the razor that I can't see, etc I am thinking, get that later and stick to one of the 2 I mentioned but I'm not certain.
Check out the Buy-Sell-Trade section. Folks are generally very reasonable in the prices they are looking for and often provide a more accurate description of the items. It will at least get you started in the right direction.

Sent via mobile

Use only 2 or 3 and save the others to revisit after your shaving skills matured. You may find that technique makes a blade much nicer and your opinion may change.
I like all razors, but I love adjustable razors.

Resist the temptation to be constantly fiddling with the adjustment of the razor. Find a setting that is a good compromise between comfort and efficiency and leave it on that stetting. At that point, pretend it's no longer an adjustable, and then focus on technique, different blades, and soaps.

I really do think this is great advice and what I believe I'm leaning toward.

I've been looking at Gillette Slim Adjustables all afternoon. I will probably go with one of those or the Parker Variant and then pick up a Merkur.

Check out the Buy-Sell-Trade section. Folks are generally very reasonable in the prices they are looking for and often provide a more accurate description of the items. It will at least get you started in the right direction.

Sent via mobile

Thank you, I will.

Hello Everyone, I'm new to the forum and I've decided to take the plunge into the DE world of shaving. I have my eye on a couple of razors but mainly wondering if an adjustable would be a good way to start out. The 2 razors I'm looking at are the Merkur 38 Hd Classic and the Parker Variant. I know there is a pretty good difference in price and I will probably wind up buying them both in the end but which would be a good way to start?

Thanks!
There's no problem starting with an adjustable. You just start with the razor at it's mildest setting. Ignore the advice about Slims and Fatboys. They are OK but not great. The Parker Variant is a great way to go. Don't bother with the Merkurs. Just get the Variant.

It will serve you for a long time, and you can always increase the level of aggression. Check out my review of it and the Mergress. Also, I describe the optimum way of using an adjustable razor.

By the way, not the Merkur Futur; too aggressive for a beginner. Don't bother with EJs, other Parkers, or Gillette vintage razors. Plenty of time to dabble later. Get your technique down first. The Variant is a great way to go, but if you don't want to spend that money get a RazoRock German 37, for under $20, and ignore all that old guff about slant bar razors being too hard to handle for beginners. The German 37 is smooth and forgiving.

I also recommend Stirling synthetic brushes, and Arko shave sticks. Easy, reliable, user-friendly and cheap. Astra SP blades are friendly to most razors. So are Rapira Platinum Lux. Send me a private message if you have questions or concerns. I'm not a vendor!

Last edited:
At what point can you say, "that's too high" on the cost of a used vintage Gillette Slim Adjustables? I'm looking at 1962s and 64s mostly is what I'm seeing.

At what point can you say, "that's too high" on the cost of a used vintage Gillette Slim Adjustables? I'm looking at 1962s and 64s mostly is what I'm seeing.
Don't bother. The Slim is OK, but not great. You'll do better with the Variant. If you get a Slim that's not in great shape you'll regret it. Believe me

Don't bother. The Slim is OK, but not great. You'll do better with the Variant. If you get a Slim that's not in great shape you'll regret it. Believe me

I will say you're reaffirming my initial decision to go with the Parker Variant...

It's probably best to start with a fixed razor, but I started on a Fatboy and have no regrets. I say go with what appeals to you the most. :thumbsup:

I know I probably sound too absolute, but there's no point beating around the bush. You don't have to follow the conventional road of Merkur 34Cs, EJs, Parkers (not the Variant) etc., There are better options than there used to be.

It's probably best to start with a fixed razor, but I started on a Fatboy and have no regrets. I say go with what appeals to you the most. :thumbsup:

I understand the advice I'm being given to go with a fixed razor (and I appreciate it, keep it coming ) but I think MAYBE a lot of that advice is assuming if I get an adjustable that I will constantly be fiddling with adjustments to correct problems I may run into. Honestly I don't think that will be a problem for me. Once I find the right setting I think I would/could really focus on technique and not adjustments to address issues.

Top Bottom