What's new

Museum style resto.

Legion

Staff member
Well, I just shaved with the razor, and it worked really really well. Very smooth and easy. To say I'm pleased, especially after the trouble I had honing it, would be an understatement. The coolest part was, while I was shaving away I thought to myself about the last time this razor was used. Probably, what? 180? 190 years ago? There's not much wear on it, other than age. From an Australian perspective that is almost convict times. It is well before the American Civil War. And with a bit of elbow grease it still works like it should, and I did not have to replace a thing. It gets my imagination going, that's for sure.

It probably won't use it all the time. I have too many razors for that. But it is nice to know that if I wanted to I could, and it shaves just as well as a brand new razor after almost two centuries.

Last edited:
Well, I just shaved with the razor, and it worked really really well. Very smooth and easy. To say I'm pleased, especially after the trouble I had honing it, would be an understatement. The coolest part was, while I was shaving away I thought to myself about the last time this razor was used. Probably, what? 180? 190 years ago? There's not much wear on it, other than age. From an Australian perspective that is almost convict times. It is well before the American Civil War. And with a bit of elbow grease it still works like it should, and I did not have to replace a thing. It gets my imagination going, that's for sure.

I probably won't use it all the time. I have too many razors for that. But it is nice to know that if I wanted to I could, and it shaves just as well as a brand new razor after almost two centuries.

When you're long gone someone may find it and do the exact same thing that you've done. It's good you kept it orginal and saved it for the future. Not everyone can own and still use something so old.

That pouch is awesome, you've got great craftsmanship and real artistic flair! It shows in all your work

Bravo!
Not every razor is well served by "restoration", and some are just crying out for preservation. This one is a perfect example of that.
IMHO, it would have been a shame to have tossed the scales and polished the blade. Granted, there are some out there with crappy plastic scales that aren't affected by a new set, but the odd one needs a little less and benefits tremendously from it.
Good call. Nice work too.
:thumbup:

Top Bottom