What's new

Museum style resto.

Legion

Staff member
Let me start by saying that I know a lot of you guys wont like the way this razor looks, and you are going to call it another one of my "ugly razors". In my defence, I have spent a lot of years working for museums and archives in conservation sections. When I started working on this razor I was fully intending to give it the full monty. Sand off as much pitting as I could, shiny new scales, the works.

But, as I was standing in front of my drill press, getting ready to drill out the pins, my museum background kicked in, and I just couldn't do it. I mean, those dirty bent scales are older than a lot of the relics in Australian museums, and I was just going to pull them off and chuck them in the bin. Wrong.

So I decided to do this restoration as if I was a conservator rather than a customiser. Just the bare minimum to get it working, but still as original as possible.

I left the scales on place (those pins and washers are part of the artefact too) and hand sanded up to a satin finish, removing all rust and grime, but leaving most of the pitting.

Using rubber bands, wooden wedges and steam I was able to straighten the warped scales. I stabilised the cracks with CA glue and lightly sanded the surface. I rehydrated the horn with mineral oil and gave it a coat of renaissance wax, inside and out, for protection. I tightened the pins and fixed the lead wedge back into place.

Honing was a major PITA because of the uneven edge and spine, but once all the corrosion was sanded away the edge was remarkably free of pitting and the steel was quite good. After unsuccessfully trying every trick and hone I had to get it sharp, it was a small barber hone sized coticule that was able to do the job. The bevel is quite uneven, but that is to be expected with a blade this old, I suppose. I haven't shaved with it yet, but the edge looks clean under magnification and it is passing all the sharpness tests, so I think it will be OK.

I guess if this razor was any younger I probably wouldn't have gone this way with it. But, at the end of the day, the thing has lasted nearly 200 years, and who am I to be changing it? If someone ends up with it after me they can do what they like, but because I haven't destroyed or removed anything, when I shave with it I really will feel like I am using a museum piece, and that's pretty cool.

Before
proxy.php

proxy.php

After
proxy.php

proxy.php

Legion

Staff member
Oh, I made this pouch for it as well. It is kangaroo leather. Gotta try and use all those off-cuts which I can't bare to throw away. :001_tongu

proxy.php

proxy.php

Excellent :w00t:

I absolutely love your approach!

But I know there is only a few of us around in this hobby that likes our razors this way..

Superb work!

Excellent :w00t:

I absolutely love your approach!

But I know there is only a few of us around in this hobby that likes our razors this way..

Superb work!

Nice! With a brother that been archeologist (marine) and worked in museums for the last decade and some more, I can certainly appreciate the urge to preserve as much as possible of an original item!:thumbup:

That is lovely. There certainly is a place for the shiny perfect razors, but sometimes a well-earned patina deserves to be preserved.

The wear around the edge of the scales looks really cool to me. I wouldn't have changed it at all. I believe in keeping them as orginal as possible too, it's the reason we buy the super old ones. 200 years is a long time.

How many hours did it take? I know it took a while to get that blade to look that way. The scales look great, fixing them while attached must have been a chore, but well worth the extra effort.

I have a similar razor and no case for it. I really like the leather wrap you made, especially the extra long strap holding it shut. Mind if I borrow your idea? LOL

Love the way it looks.. but I am also one of those people who like to "see" the age of my razors ( as long as it doesn't affect the shave ) and not have people think they are brand new because of how shiny they are.

My dad being a fairly well known gunsmith,and growing up in his shop taught me an important lesson early on,less is more.
Congrats on your conservation.

Interesting. I would have said restore that piece of junk and give it a new coat. Then I saw the pictures. You did a great job.
It would look perfectly in place in a collection.

Nice case too. It fits the theme well.

:em2400: That is awesome! I need to do some more studying, you know lots of tricks! I want to keep my Pipe razor just like that too. I like that it is a piece of history.

Lovely, gentle job. I'm of two minds on what to do with old razors and I appreciate both approaches. While I have nothing at all against a major rebuild if done in the spirit of the original, a few of the really unique pieces should be left as close to original as possible and you have made good work out of it here. I have a 150 yo Elliiot soaking in neatsfoot oil to get the horn scales back in shape. Normally I chuck em since they are chewed on by mice and cracked and split, but something stopped me this time and, although restoring badly weathered horn is a pain, I do like seeing it all as it came from the craftsman who made it.

Well done.

Legion

Staff member
It's beautiful. Nice work and thank's for the pix.

is it a RooWrap or is it a WrapaRoo? Raparoo?

I think just "The Pouch?" :lol::lol::lol:

I wont be storing the razor in that permanently. Leather and long term storage of steel are not a great idea. But I think it is a nice accessory that looks period. And I'll be making more when I travel. A lot of my custom scales are bigger than normal ones, so my razors wont fit in most commercially available travel cases. This is "one size fits all".

Last edited:
Top Bottom