What's new

Most overrated shaving product.

ANY multibladed cartridge razor
ANY pre shave oil, I read somewhere that shaving oil is every salesman's dream - using 2 products when 1 will do !!

Hear! Hear! Adam.

Multiblade.. pfft. I don't know how much cash I burned using those over the years.

Penhaligon's blenheim bouquet and pecksniff products. Infact I find most British EDT/EDP/EDC and aftershaves to be below average when compared with Italian or French products. Soaps and creams are a different story.

Hear! Hear! Adam.

Multiblade.. pfft. I don't know how much cash I burned using those over the years.
I remember reading an article in a newspaper 15 years ago about packing everything for a weekend business trip into a briefcase
Reading between the lines, I thought at the time that what they were really trying to do was to sell an innovative new product called "Somersets Shaving Oil", which cost a lot more than I was prepared to pay!!
To be fair, shaving oil does what it was originally intended for - used instead of shaving soap, cream or foam it's slick enough to shave with, but if anybody had to travel extra light, a shaving stick and a brush takes up hardly any space anyway.
I'd hate to see the state of a multibladed cartridge after using shaving oil..........
I tried using Floid Shaving Oil for extra slickness before lathering, but soon gave up on the idea because it matted up the bristles on my brush and I had to use baby shampoo to degrease it.
I also tried using Floid Shaving Oil instead of lather once, but it was so greasy that it even gunked up a shavette, so I soon went back to using lather on it's own !!

Clay scuttles. I only desire warm lather in the winter. I float an inexpensive stainless camping bowl in hot water in the sink and don't have to worry about it breaking or chipping.

Expensive shave brushes. There are a great number of very nice boar and synthetic brushes for $20 or less on the market that work for me.

Bulbous head twist to open razors. Many seem to be unbalanced, being head heavy. I don't find any advantages over a three piece razor. The thickness of the head makes it less precise to maneuver.

Adjustable razors. I found a few non-adjustable razors that work the blades I use, so adjustment isn't necessary for me.

These are things I would consider overrated for me.

I'm gonna say that I have an issue with derby blades. Great smooth first shave, not the sharpest out of the box but using a shavette I rather like a blade that is smoother than it is sharp.

Ive found that derby blades barely manage to hold a decent edge for more than two shaves, after this I feel like the blade is ripping out my hairs.

Brilliant first shave but just wish I could get a few more shaves out of each half.

Last edited:
I'm gonna say that i think most modern DE razors are overhyped . They are pricey, and honestly don't shave any better than my vintage ones. Hell, I have a Chinese razor I bought from EBay for $1.80 that out performs all but my post-war tech.

I don't see a reason for pre-shave oils. I guess they work for some people, though.

I refuse to buy any soap over $10 any more. The only one I bought more than that, MWF, is mediocre.

For me, it's Clubman Pinaud. I'm in no way saying that it's bad; I'm saying that I believed it's unnecessarily hyped when there are so many other great products in the Clubman lineup (ie. Clubman Vanilla and Bay Rum).

This thread in summary.
proxy.php

+1 on feather blades. Got some from a PIF, and they were... Alright. They didn't live up to the hype for me. Highly subjective, though.

1. most products that are popular because our dads used them.
2. most of Gillette's blades (though Silver Blue is nice)
3. most products that cost 2-3+x the price of other products which get great reviewers.
4. martin de candre (i havent tried it, but probably...)

Pre shave does nothing for me. Totally disagree about Feathers. Sure you can get a great shave with other blades and I do. Gillette Platinums, 7:00 blacks, etc. Feathers are sharp and smooth. Best blade I have tried.

I don't have a badger brush, but I do have a boar. And considering the $10 Maggards synthetic brush has worked perfectly for me both with soaps and creams, bowl lathering and face lathering, I am going to say expensive brushes of any type are over rated. I have a feeling Alum is too, though I have never used it.

Top Bottom