What's new

Mosquitoes! I HATE THEM!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
http://skeeterbag.com/

$230104-R1-06-6_007.jpg
$DAWSONDONKEY.jpg

Citronella doesn't work. Period. At least in the candle version.

The plants work. I used to have a tomato plant patch a decade or two ago, a 15x15 area in the corner of the yard.
About 10 citronella plants were planted in there and it made a huge difference; as soon as you went a few feet outside, there they were... Inside the "zone" though there were just a few.

CO2 gas which attracts the mosquitoes

I have heard this many times, and have even heard (not tried yet) that if you plan on having a party outside or something of that sort, that setting a couple of blocks of DRY ICE a good distance AWAY from you will attract the little critters as dry ice is compressed CO2. it won't kill them, but it will keep them out of your face for a while. again, I have not tried this, so feel free to shoot this down if it sounds like poppy **** to you. sounds good to me though.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
what are you supposed to do with this when your done? set it on fire? all I see in my head is turning that fan off and a legion of angry skeeters comming after you with a bone to pick.

Captured mosquitoes dehydrate and die within 12 - 24 hours.
You can speed the process by spritzing them with a 50/50 solution of 70% isopropyl alcohol and water.
Then just turn it inside out and dump 'em in the trash can.
An alternative for the squeamish is a shop vac with 1/2 inch of said 50/50 solution in the bottom.

And for those who want a natural repellent, he suggested oil of lemon eucalyptus, which has been recommended by the Centers for Disease Control.

what ? that there is prime fish food, dump that in the cement pond and your fish will be a happy eatings.
Then you get more fish.

We have a new place in Ohio that opened up this year called Skeeter Treaters, they use what looks like Echo leaf blowers to disperse some sort of bug spray. Seems like a neat concept, my neighbors used them and I think it pushed them over to my yard.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
bug zappers are more fun. 6pk a beer and a bug zapper and i'm good for a couple hours.

You can speed the process by spritzing them with a 50/50 solution of 70% isopropyl alcohol and water.
An alternative for the squeamish is a shop vac with 1/2 inch of said 50/50 solution in the bottom.
50/50? 100%! would make excellent bug spray. Just have to find the right sprayer.

Hate flys too. Hate, hate, hate.
Got me three of these today woke up to find about twenty in each bag. Also filled one up via their bait and made a homemade fly trap. Simple clear plastic cup with cellophane over it and a funnel. Dang that worked too. Have about ten in there so far.

Attachments

• $thumbnail.jpg
    $thumbnail.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
The Thermacell device really works. I don't have the foggiest what's in them but they do keep the biting bugs at bay. I've been on hunts where we get the animal down and are swarmed by mosquitoes, then someone turns on the thermacell and within minutes there is a wall of bugs that can't get in.
The downside is they work best if you're staying in one place. They don't work so well if you're walking around. Sadly in that case, deet is still the best bet.
+2
Mosquitoes love me. Last month I spent a week camping and packed some deet repellant. My friend pulled out two of these Thermacells and fired them up. The Thermacell is the first device that actually works well in my experience. I don't know how detrimental they are for humans.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
50/50? 100%! would make excellent bug spray. Just have to find the right sprayer.
I think the concern is that using 100% alcohol near the fan or shop vac motor might result in cremating them (and your house) rather than dehydrating them.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Definitely vile insects. I wonder why Noah didn't leave the two mosquitos behind?

He tried to ... and spent 40 days and 40 nights swatting at the bittle luggers but to no avail.

Top Bottom