What's new

Modern GEM razor

Hipster razors. if PAA can do one in aluminum for under $75 I'd do that but this other stuff is ridiculous. Quality of the shave is oblivious to frame materials with a GEM blade. Your money.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I recently got a Gem Featherweight in unused condition for $11. Since it's not made of zamak, I don't think I have to worry about breakage and it works really well, especially with Gem carbon steel blades. I don't see the cost benefit of shaving with the same blades, using the Rocnel for $210. The head of my $11 Gem may even be made of stainless steel, I'm not sure.

I just looked at a video of loading a blade. I honestly do not like the looks of this razor, so will pass. I have an ATT head on pre order, and will stick with that and save the difference.

I know appearance has nothing to do with shave quality, but if it does not look good I just would not like it. I doubt if it would perform any better than my 1912.

Hipster razors. if PAA can do one in aluminum for under $75 I'd do that but this other stuff is ridiculous. Quality of the shave is oblivious to frame materials with a GEM blade. Your money.

Blade exposure and angle can still vary considerably so that shave characteristics can. A Gem MMOC and a Gem Bullet handle are quite different aggressiveness razors even though both are in the Gem Micromatic razor family. Then toss in different designs like a CV Heljestrand or a Henckels Rapide used with Gem blades and the shave can vary a lot. Overall about as widely as with different DE razors.

Blade exposure and angle can still vary considerably so that shave characteristics can. A Gem MMOC and a Gem Bullet handle are quite different aggressiveness razors even though both are in the Gem Micromatic razor family. Then toss in different designs like a CV Heljestrand or a Henckels Rapide used with Gem blades and the shave can vary a lot. Overall about as widely as with different DE razors.
All true but I don't hear people getting excited about angles and exposure. I suggested only that materials and mass are of diminimus value. I'll credit OneBlade for at least incorporating some innovation in it's pivot mechanism.

All true but I don't hear people getting excited about angles and exposure. I suggested only that materials and mass are of diminimus value. I'll credit OneBlade for at least incorporating some innovation in it's pivot mechanism.

I have not actually seen or handled one but how does it's head pivoting mechanism differ from the mechanism in the Gillette Mach 3 or the Fusion? The Mach 3 pivoting head has now been around for 19 years so the concept is certainly not new and is out of patent protection. I personally think that the OneBlade is a dumb design from the standpoint of using a very obscure blade that has very limited availability in the USA rather than using the Gem blade which is basically similar size and far more readily available from many sources. The blade had not had a razor made for it by an American company since about 1946. I do have the newly announced plastic OneBlade version coming though I still wonder why even the discounted price I paid is 3 to 4 times that of a Gillette Proglide for a plastic razor. One of my big criticisms of the OneBlade is I consider it a ripoff for a "Made in China" razor in either version. Just my personal viewpoint of course.

I have not actually seen or handled one but how does it's head pivoting mechanism differ from the mechanism in the Gillette Mach 3 or the Fusion? The Mach 3 pivoting head has now been around for 19 years so the concept is certainly not new and is out of patent protection. I personally think that the OneBlade is a dumb design from the standpoint of using a very obscure blade that has very limited availability in the USA rather than using the Gem blade which is basically similar size and far more readily available from many sources. The blade had not had a razor made for it by an American company since about 1946. I do have the newly announced plastic OneBlade version coming though I still wonder why even the discounted price I paid is 3 to 4 times that of a Gillette Proglide for a plastic razor. One of my big criticisms of the OneBlade is I consider it a ripoff for a "Made in China" razor in either version. Just my personal viewpoint of course.

I believe you posted this in the wrong thread but I will briefly answer it.
Any further posting on this subject belongs in another thread about the new OneBlade.
The pivot is different from the Mach 3 and the blade is much sharper than a Gem blade.

Now in stock at Bullgoose per an email I just received. $210. They are also stocking the PTFE blades in a bulk pack for $25 per pack of 100.

You're correct, I didn't mean to suggest they invented the pivot, only that they were clever enough to incorporate it into the SE design. Whether it's a dumb design depends on your perspective. If you're someone who has trouble getting a BBS shave without irritation from other designs then the razor has obvious value in spite of the ongoing cost of the Feathers. I don't believe for a second that the razor couldn't have been designed to use GEM blades and since I'm not one of those people who has issues with other designs this rather will have to deliver pretty exceptional performance for me to want to hang onto it.

Top Bottom