What's new

Minimalist Multitool?

I apologize if this is the wrong subforum; however, since all the pocket-knife and multi-tool related threads seem to be here, here is where I am posting.

I'm looking for recommendations for a minimalist (small, lightweight, few moving parts) multi tool to put on my keyring and carry in my front trouser pocket. I've found the following ones which I like the look of:

The Machine Era Multi

and

the Keyport MOCA

Of the two above tools, I like the design. But I haven't been able to find detailed reviews from users. As to the Machine Era Multi, I'm worried about the flat-headed screwdriver being sharp enough to tear up my pocket. As to the Keyport MOCA, I'm mainly concerned about how well the functions work just on my keyring (not in the Keyport Pivot, which it is designed to fit into). Anyone here have either of these?

Let me give a little background regarding how I arrived at my decision to go with a keyring multi-tool. For years, I've carried a solid steel one-hand open pocket knife with a 3.5" blade. The thing is solid and weighs around 4.16 ounces, and about 4.5" closed. I don't really notice it. Usually. It's a good, solid knife and over the years, I've used it for various tasks. I have used it is a pry-bar and a staple-remover very successfully. Less successfully, I've used it to turn flat-head screws, Phillips screws, eyeglass screws, and (least successfully, actually resulting in a minor injury) as a bottle opener. Those functions I just listed are things I try to use my knife for often enough that I realized I'd much prefer to have extra tools on my knife dedicated to these functions.

My first thought was that there has to be a Swiss Army Knife that will do the trick. Usually, however, I find that SAK's have too many tools; I really only need screwdrivers (flat, Phillips, and preferably a jewelry-sized one), a bottle opener, a locking blade, and the ability to open the knife one-handed (I really like that function on my current EDC knife; that's why I've carried it for the last decade). Yet, you'd be surprised how difficult it is to find such a knife. After extensive research, I had almost decided on the Centurion. It had everything I was looking for except blade that can be opened one-handed. There were some very similar knives that did have one-hand open versions, but they had an extra layer making the knife thicker and heavier: the One-handed Trekker, and the One-handed Parachutist. Both of these tools had a serrated main blade, which does not interest me. I'd almost talked myself into the Parachutist (I could see myself using the belt-cutter more often than a saw), but found it had been discontinued.

It should not be this hard to find what I want, especially when I'm this close.

But then I had a realization. I remembered seeing this Swiss-Tech Utility Key years ago. It actually contains all the functions that I would like, and I could carry such a tool on my keyring while I continue to carry a regular pocket knife. I would have stopped there, but the Utility Key has a blade, which means I couldn't take it through security, which means I wouldn't keep it on my main keyring because comes with me through security checkpoints at government buildings multiple times a week. While it's easy to leave my pocket knife in my car, I don't want to be constantly removing my tool from and reattaching it to my keyring. Also, I'm tired of having to be without some kind of tool with a cutting edge when I fly, so I'd like a tool that can do light duty cutting (opening envelopes, packages), but will also make it past the TSA. So my search began again, this time for multi-tools. I'd prefer as few moving parts as possible.

So, to recap, I want a tool, ideally, that will do the following:

-Pry things like staples paint-can lids, etc
-turn flat-head and phillips-head screws
-open boxes/packages
-open bottles
-turn a screw in a pair of glasses

The above features are the only types of things I regularly encounter that I get frustrated not having a tool for.

I can live without a jeweler's screw driver since I can usually use the tip of my knife blade in a pinch. An incorporated ruler is also a nice feature, but not vital.

The following features are also necessary:

-TSA compliant
-small enough to carry on my keyring without adding noticeable bulk
-will not tear up my pocket

Does anyone here have a tool they like that might be what I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance.

Have you looked at the Leatherman Style PS? Also, they have a class of wearables that could be put on a keychain. See HERE

I had not. It's a little more tool than I need on a regular basis (e.g. when I'm out and away from my real tools). However, I note that it's smaller than I imagined it might be. It might do the trick... except I'm not sure about the scissors. If the local government security people won't let me carry a nail clipper, scissors might also be out.

But then again, that carabiner would make clipping/unclipping it to/from my keyring a fairly easy exercise.

I like that it's TSA compliant.

I think I'm going to just order the MOCA and test it out. Although, after your suggestion of the Leatherman Style PS, I've watched several videos and I'm sold. I may buy one even if the MOCA doesn't work out. (The Machine Era Multi is out of stock).

It's hard to say. On the one hand, they didn't allow a nail clipper; but I'm pretty sure they were objecting to the pointy end of the nail file attachment (based on what I remember them saying). They almost didn't let me being my fountain pen in once--they really seem to care about tapered pieces of metal ending in a sharp point. So I'm worried about the scissors on the Leatherman Style.

They did let me bring in my zippo lighter, though, so they don't care about fire.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
It's hard to say. On the one hand, they didn't allow a nail clipper; but I'm pretty sure they were objecting to the pointy end of the nail file attachment (based on what I remember them saying. ... So I'm worried about the scissors on the Leatherman Style.

They did let me bring in my zippo lighter, though, so they don't care about fire.

So if you notice that your fingernails are a bit too long, you just singe them of ... ?

Not to get too far down the "blame the victim" rabbit hole, but if you get done in by the business end of some nail clippers, you probably had it coming.

So if you notice that your fingernails are a bit too long, you just singe them of ... ?

Not to get too far down the "blame the victim" rabbit hole, but if you get done in by the business end of some nail clippers, you probably had it coming.

I recently completed the New York State licensing course for security guards. I am presently working in the field. I can't emphasize enough there are gray areas which are 'subject to discretion'. There are also key and subtle differences between 'rights' and 'priviliges' pertaining to public or private property which elude many of us. Considering this, I think it is foolish to not understand rules as 'guidelines'. Some are hard and fast. Others are not. In fact, we use the term guidelines exclusively. If you have doubts, leave it at home. Vet with direct supervision beforehand. Not some person on the phone.

I recently completed the New York State licensing course for security guards. I am presently working in the field. I can't emphasize enough there are gray areas which are 'subject to discretion'. There are also key and subtle differences between 'rights' and 'priviliges' pertaining to public or private property which elude many of us. Considering this, I think it is foolish to not understand rules as 'guidelines'. Some are hard and fast. Others are not. In fact, we use the term guidelines exclusively. If you have doubts, leave it at home. Vet with direct supervision beforehand. Not some person on the phone.

I took some time this week to chat with dome of the security guards. They can't even allow a pair of scissors under their guidelines.

7AC9B05C-E752-480C-A7C1-C9E4FE8D6C1C.jpeg
C64DEEE5-6D28-49C6-926E-F0BC14165E4D.jpeg
702837A8-C8FD-4B29-9910-D78D8CBC2BFA.jpeg
726EE697-7743-49AD-BBBB-DC9A3DC97914.jpeg

TSA compliant?......just not worth trying to figure it all out.
#4 is seemingly OK with TSA. #2-#3 apparently are not.
#1-flew all over the US and a good part of Europe with this in my wallet. Never an issue. I have quit trying to figure it all out.

I am in a similar boat. I have landed on the Nite Ize DoohicKey. I hate how carry a lot of keys in the pocket wears a a spot on my pants front pocket so I like to keep it compact. I have two house keys, one car key, and the DoohicKey on a key ring and I find it compact enough for my liking. It is about the size of a key, it has a flathead/pry capapbilities, bottle opener, three wrenches and a 2 inch ruler. I find that I don't need a knife often at home or at school, so I would prefer something small and TSA compliant to keep in my pocket. When I am at my second job, I do use a knife very often and that is when I keep a mini griptillian in my back pocket.

Dear Keyring Multitool Manufacturers:

"Lucky Lotto Scratcher" is not a function serious people shop for in a multitool. That is all.

(Been doing market research on the various offerings; you'd be surprised how often that's listed as a function)

So, update. I'd added the MOCA to my amazon cart. I put it off a few days while I added other items/gifts I was getting for people. Yesterday, there were 12 available. I didn't order in the afternoon because I was working. In the evening, I was focusing on picking up a vintage Case knife on ebay. After the auction was over, I went to place my Amazon order. And somehow, in six hours, all 12 MOCAs had sold out. I can still pick it up from the manufacturer, but that adds about $4 onto the cost with shipping.

On the other hand, Acmemfg has got me looking at credit card multi-tools. Now, I carry my keys more places than my wallet, so I'm still in the market for something like a MOCA. However, I did just do a major clean out of my wallet and discovered that I have a lot of extra room where I used to carry unnecessary credit-card sized cards, so I could carry such a tool without incident. Also, the one I'm looking at is TSA friendly, AND does everything I would want from a one-piece multi-tool and more.

proxy.php

Top Bottom