What's new

Middle range stone. Your preference.

Hello there,

Another question on stones, but for those 3000 - 6000 grit.

Which one is your preferred stone for this level of grit? Why?

Cheers

Synthetic would be a Chosera 3K

Natural probably a coticule with slurry.

If not that it would be a Coe Bethesda Black.

Interested in this as well. I'm not in love with current setup. It's OK, not brilliant. Jki 3k, naniwa Hayabusa and naniwa 5k pro.

For naturals I think a Dalmore blue isn't bad, or a good washita/soft Ark.

Reactions: Wid
Shapton glass 6k for synthetic. Tenjou on my jnat for natural. Other than jnat edges everything is normally synthetic until finishing (maybe a natural prefinisher if doing an ark edge).

I like my shapton 5k synthetic, it's a workhorse, I don't think i've ever read anything bad about them.

For Jnats I like my tsushima Black Nagura, gives me a range that I would consider in the synthetic world from 3k to 6k.
That being a natural it will depend on the user as well.

The job of a mid-grit stone is to transition from grinding/bevel setting, (cutting a flat bevel, to the correct bevel angle and bring the bevels to meeting) to polishing and removing all the deep bevel setting stria.

Which stone grit, or brand you use, does not matter all that much as long as it removed the deep stria, a 2k stone even works for this as does, an aggressive 8k.

That one stone is faster, smoother or leaves a finer finish does not matter because you will not be shaving off this stone.

I typically use a vintage King S-3 6k, from an 800 or 1k, then an 8 or 10k that leaves a mirror finish/no stria and then, finish on a natural.

No need to over think this, no one will ever know or can tell which transition stone you used, if finished properly.

We are really fortunate now, compared to 25-30 years ago, there are so many great aggressive and finishing synthetic stones available at very affordable prices.

My go-to is definitely the Shapton Kuromaku 5K although it seems to be developing something unexpected on the unused side.

No issues on the working side though…

Attachments

• IMG_7841.jpeg
    IMG_7841.jpeg
    803 KB · Views: 23
vintage King S-3 6k
I have one of these from the late 80’s maybe early 90’s - after many years of use it is still polishing steel. A good bit different than the other kings of that era (and now)
We are really fortunate now, compared to 25-30 years ago
Big golf clap to this! The synths people won’t consider now, were the best then 😝

Synthetic - Cho 3k, 5k
Tsushima nagura is a fun hone if not doing Mikawa Nagura progression.
But my preferred is Coti on slurry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wid
Top Bottom