What's new

Metal detecting

Something problematic at house sites are old nails. They can help you find the building, but unless they're something like handmade nails, completely unremarkable, and I think could mask other items.

Noticed there's pointer detectors now. Considering the time I've spent sifting through a pile of dirt to find a small item, they look like they'd be worth it.

Around old house sites with tons of iron in the ground, a small coil helps a lot. I have 5" "hockey puck" coils for every detector I own. The aftermarket 5" coil on my Eurotek Pro never comes off, as a matter of fact. That detector has a super fast response time, plus with the adjustable iron volume, it does really well for me in iron-laden sites. I have mine set up to cherry-pick coins out of trashy areas, and it excels in that role.

If you don't have a pinpointer, you really, really need to try one. I wouldn't hunt without one, they are that handy.

I just got an email from Kellyco; through Dec 15 they are giving away free pinpointers with the purchase of certain detectors, including the Garrett Ace 250 ($212), Fisher F2 ($299), and Teknetics Eurotek Pro ($299). That is a good deal on entry level detectors. Pinpointers are $100 - $120 by themselves. Anyone in the US looking at detectors can get a deal right now.

Just passing it along.

Guys! Thanks for reviving this thread! Although I've never gotten into it, I LOVE metal detecting and hearing about others finds!

Around old house sites with tons of iron in the ground, a small coil helps a lot. I have 5" "hockey puck" coils for every detector I own. The aftermarket 5" coil on my Eurotek Pro never comes off, as a matter of fact. That detector has a super fast response time, plus with the adjustable iron volume, it does really well for me in iron-laden sites. I have mine set up to cherry-pick coins out of trashy areas, and it excels in that role.

If you don't have a pinpointer, you really, really need to try one. I wouldn't hunt without one, they are that handy.

Thanks for the info. No, never had a pinpointer. Spent a lot of time sifting through dirt just to turn up junk.

Guys! Thanks for reviving this thread! Although I've never gotten into it, I LOVE metal detecting and hearing about others finds!

For anyone who gets into it, the metal detector is only part of it. I had an old Army Surplus bag large enough to carry a small gardening spade and a larger entrenching tool. Divots are an issue, which is why many ban metal detecting (historic sites have other reasons, of course). I always cut a rough circle through sod and try to pull it up intact, and fill it pack in and replace when done. Has anyone here tried dumping the dirt on plastic or canvas to make it easier refilling the hole? Thought about it, but never did it.

It's been mentions in the thread, but always check the legalities of metal detecting before bringing one to a site, and always get permission first. There was beach I wanted to use mine on once, but fortunately checked first, and found they weren't allowed.

I managed to get out yesterday morning and spend a few hours in this beautiful weather we are enjoying right now. Found some assorted clad and also a few keepers: on the left, three wheat pennies (two from the 50s, one from the 40s) and a worn 1940 quarter.

The difference between silver coins and modern coins is very evident in this pic; when you find a silver coin you know it instantly. Nothing like that dull silver gleam to get your blood pumping.

$IMG_20151213_114645.jpg

Nice finds, especially the quarter. The only preclad quarter I've ever found was in change and happened to noticed it sounded different clinking against another quarter as I was about to put it into a drink machine.

I've been doing it for years, and have found some interesting things. Please,please please use some common sense. You take your trash finds with you, learn how to cut a plug, don't use a garden shovel in public areas. If you find something decent, smile and move on. If you find a honey hole, you tell no one. Learn the law in your area,especially historic sites.

Most important,remember that it's a hobby.

Never tried metal detecting myselfbut we do have a brilliant TV comedy show about it here in the UK! Called the Detectorists and written by Mackenzie Crook who was in the Brit original version of the Office and was also a regular pirate in the Pirates of the Caribbean films.

Here's the trailer. I should warn there is a touch of bad language! We get that in our comedy shows!

It is very British humour though and I doubt it will appear over the pond. If it does, it is brilliant

Gareth

Last edited by a moderator:
Would love to see it over here. Since your country has been around a lot longer, there are some really old things to find. The PAS system seems to work well.

Top Bottom