What's new

Merkur progress or Parker Variant?

How come?
Well I hesitated to say. When I had the Variant the lack of blade rigidity bothered me and I felt it didn't give a good shave. I know they are said to be the same and appear to be but I don't seem to get the lack of rigidity or chatter with my progress. Can't explain why and people can debate it but it is what it is for me :thumbup1:

I have both and like both I prefer the progress just used it today on 3 with a 7’Oclock yellow 2nd use and bbs shave I would love to have a mergress they are supposed to be nice but I’m not ready to part with that much for that particular razor yet

I use my Variant with a Merkur top cap. Better under the nose like the Progress, smooth, more aggressive per setting and looks pretty darn sharp.

T
I have both and prefer the Progress for the following reasons

-it goes a lot lower in aggression level and I can use it above my lip. The Variants I have start at about a 3 on a Progress
-has a chrome finish that slides better than brushed metal
-the head on the Variant is taller and harder to use under my nose
-the shorter length is preferable to me

I used to a have Progress years ago but I replaced it because the blade wasn’t lining up straight. I bought a new one last year and it’s great. I read Merkur updated their molds.

I would say the Variant is like Parker trying to combine Merkur Futur and Progress in to one model.
Thanks for the tip. I have a variant coming in and I'll be sure to try it on setting one first.

Top Bottom