What's new

MDC now sticky?

I have used and liked MDC for 2+ yrs. Was using the "original" soap and last 2 days it has suddenly produced a sticky lather. I used 2 different brushes, synthetic Muhle (that I don't use often). I started both times with more water than usual, and noticed the lather would dry quickly. Added more water still sticky and by sticky I mean the razor would NOT glide freely....would skip/jump. I tried 2 different razors with the same results. The only other soap I have had the same issue is Fitjar.....that one is also sticky. Water, I have hard water.....but I tried filtered water and same problem. The only different thing I can think is: I had NO AC for 3 weeks.....and temps inside house were 90-99F, did this ruin the soap(s)

Well not sure what to try, I did wash both brushes w shampoo after this....they were also sticky..... And both times I aborted the use of MDC and just used a non lathering cream to finish (with no issues).....

I could try a different brush, bottled water or just pick a different puck of MDC.....let's hope not all went bad.....

Any input is welcome....

I've not encountered this with MdC, but given the heat, you could try putting it in the fridge overnight and see how it lathers the next day.

Maybe it has not dried out as much as normal due to higher humidity inside the house, causing one to load too much soap since it is softer and easier to load up, leading to a stickier lather. I have never used MDC but have suffered from a sticky lather from loading too much soap.

Only time I get sticky lather with MdC is if I load too much and don’t use enough water. My water is very soft. I don’t think the temp in my house ever got to 90 though but I would imagine for people ordering these in the summer that kind of temperature is routinely reached on shipping/postal delivery vehicles.

I always lather with hot water.

How long do you typically let your soap dry, if at all, before covering it again with a lid? I used to let my MdC soaps dry somewhere between 12-24hrs like I do with all my other soaps but I found leaving them uncovered actually benefits the lather quite a bit. If I'm not mistaken, this is also what the brand recommends.

Yeah it definitely sounds like an issue with humidity.

If it's not being as "slick" as you like, the above mentioned refrigerator method might help.
Or (and I really hate to suggest this) is maybe add a drop or two of glycerine to your bowl/mug when lathering.
Or look for an oil-based preshave.

Thanks for the replies.
I "think" I have found the possible root to this problem.
Tap water where I live. To start it is hard water, BUT something changed in the past weeks.... ; it has been > 100F now for 7W and close to where I live I have seen 5 water leaks. Then I went to the reporting site and I am not exaggerating: they show more than 1000 (very large area).
Used bottled water and shave was fine, BUT when I rinsed the brush , using tap water....the brush was left w a sticky feeling, residue.
I guess this areas will now have more bursted pipes.....hot in summer (wasting all that needed water) and then in winter some freeze and break.....

How long do you typically let your soap dry, if at all, before covering it again with a lid? I used to let my MdC soaps dry somewhere between 12-24hrs like I do with all my other soaps but I found leaving them uncovered actually benefits the lather quite a bit. If I'm not mistaken, this is also what the brand recommends.
I never put the lid on. It sits open on the bathroom vanity.

Soooo, I usually either rinse the top of the jar (Agrumes) and then put the cover back on when it's a bit wet, or not even rinse it (like this morning) and cover it with lather still on top (it's still firm despite covering it wet). My assumption is/was that leaving it uncovered to dry would hasten the loss of scent. For the price that I paid, I appreciate the fact that the jar is filled to the top, but you can't load the brush without getting lather/soap all down the sides resulting in me rinsing the soap from the lid threads and putting away wet. I've had the jar a bit over a year (granted, I don't use it all that often/enough), so it's only now just to the point where you can load without soap spilling over the sides.

Soooo, I usually either rinse the top of the jar (Agrumes) and then put the cover back on when it's a bit wet, or not even rinse it (like this morning) and cover it with lather still on top (it's still firm despite covering it wet). My assumption is/was that leaving it uncovered to dry would hasten the loss of scent. For the price that I paid, I appreciate the fact that the jar is filled to the top, but you can't load the brush without getting lather/soap all down the sides resulting in me rinsing the soap from the lid threads and putting away wet. I've had the jar a bit over a year (granted, I don't use it all that often/enough), so it's only now just to the point where you can load without soap spilling over the sides.
Yes the scent will get weaker over time if it’s left open. But it’s not very appreciable. If you are using the soap everyday there will be plenty till the last time your use it. If you don’t use it daily it might be better to wait till it is dry before placing the cover. Remember they sell bowls which don’t even have a cover.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I use only one puck until it is done and never replace the top. I load about five seconds with a badger as wet as possiblle without drbbling off my neck and onto my clavicable. For the second and third passes I hit the tip of the bristles with the slightest possible splash of hot water, mainly to keep it warm. It is always slick, and I have not had anything remotely sticky.

Top Bottom