What's new

Canada Shaving Soap Longevity Test

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have finished the CSS longevity test. I like to think of longevity in terms of a year's worth of daily shaves, but I'll try to break it down several ways.

First, it's a lovely soap. It loads well and lathers well. The shaves were great and I'd definitely put it in the top tier category. I don't know that the maker would appreciate this characterization, but it is as close to an MdC clone as I could imagine. Since many shavers here have used MdC I will attempt to describe the differences. MdC loads a little faster - but only a meaningless few seconds, MdC lathers a tiny bit faster - but again, only a few seconds. I typically use MdC almost every day and never cover the jar. For this test I've been using CSS daily when home and didn't use the cover. Near the end of the test it did dry out to the point where it took considerably longer to load. This was no big deal as a little blooming eliminated the problem. I like the MdC lather slightly more, but it was close enough that I'm sure some shavers will say the opposite.

Longevity: CSS - 720 passes. 8 months of daily 3 pass shaves. A year of 2 pass shaves. Pretty darn good.
MdC - 1,154 passes. About 13 months of 3 pass shaves. 18 months of 2 pass shaves. Obviously better longevity.

As a comparison, most artisan soaps last me around 4 months, SV lasts longer and B&M considerably shorter.

I purchase MdC two at a time to save shipping, so if you purchase CSS in pairs it will cost $48.25 per puck, or $64 a year for daily 3 pass shaves. MdC runs $45 a year. CSS puck is only 175g, MdC is 200g.

Since I find them so close in performance it's unlikely I'll spend $64 instead of $45. But I just purchased a puck of SV, which cost me around $135 for a year of daily 3 pass shaves - it's expensive, but I like it. So there are good reasons to consider purchasing CSS.

You might want to support a small family run operation that makes a fine product.
You might like it more than MdC and think it's worth the extra money.
You might live in Canada and have a sense of national pride supporting fellow countrymen.
You might not care about a $19 price difference over the length of a year.
Maybe you had a bad experience with high school French and just don't want to purchase anything from that country.

I hope that helps. Enjoy your shaves.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have finished the CSS longevity test. I like to think of longevity in terms of a year's worth of daily shaves, but I'll try to break it down several ways.

First, it's a lovely soap. It loads well and lathers well. The shaves were great and I'd definitely put it in the top tier category. I don't know that the maker would appreciate this characterization, but it is as close to an MdC clone as I could imagine. Since many shavers here have used MdC I will attempt to describe the differences. MdC loads a little faster - but only a meaningless few seconds, MdC lathers a tiny bit faster - but again, only a few seconds. I typically use MdC almost every day and never cover the jar. For this test I've been using CSS daily when home and didn't use the cover. Near the end of the test it did dry out to the point where it took considerably longer to load. This was no big deal as a little blooming eliminated the problem. I like the MdC lather slightly more, but it was close enough that I'm sure some shavers will say the opposite.

Longevity: CSS - 720 passes. 8 months of daily 3 pass shaves. A year of 2 pass shaves. Pretty darn good.
MdC - 1,154 passes. About 13 months of 3 pass shaves. 18 months of 2 pass shaves. Obviously better longevity.

As a comparison, most artisan soaps last me around 4 months, SV lasts longer and B&M considerably shorter.

I purchase MdC two at a time to save shipping, so if you purchase CSS in pairs it will cost $48.25 per puck, or $64 a year for daily 3 pass shaves. MdC runs $45 a year. CSS puck is only 175g, MdC is 200g.

Since I find them so close in performance it's unlikely I'll spend $64 instead of $45. But I just purchased a puck of SV, which cost me around $135 for a year of daily 3 pass shaves - it's expensive, but I like it. So there are good reasons to consider purchasing CSS.

You might want to support a small family run operation that makes a fine product.
You might live in Canada and have a sense of national pride supporting fellow countrymen.
Maybe you had a bad experience with high school French and just don't want to purchase anything from that country.

One note: Amazon has CCS off and on...and if you have Prime... It's $32 with free shipping... I've bought a couple back-ups when they had it in stock. I've never used MdC...though I know it's highly regarded.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I purchased my tub on Amazon for $34 as I recall. It's a great soap at that price. I haven't seen it since, but I'll have to keep looking.

Okay so its 6 ounces, and unscented...thats the only soap they make right? As in the facility only makes one soap that is unscented? I am going to have to give this one a go...I was not happy with the sticker shock, but if it is truly a hard milled soap 6 ounces should last a good amount of time.

Thank you for crunching the numbers - fascinating!

If I was poor as dirt, I would not buy CSS or MdC and instead would buy a clothespin and a case of Arko. Thankfully, I am not.

My takeaway is that if you really enjoy it, "luxury" cream/soap is a bargain when compared to many other things that we buy - like grocery store food, eating out, gas, movies.

I say treat yourself to a tub of whatever cream/soap you really want to buy and walk or hitchhike to work.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Since I scoop or flake off the hardest soaps into my CaYuen shaving bowl, the CSS is actually the easier soap I have to use. I have to smear the softer soaps around the bowl until they are thinned out... the flakes? I just spray in some hot water and let the sludge sit will I shower.... I have a few other unscented soaps I love but they are more messy to prepare.

I wouldn't be suffering if I only used CSS until I'm not longer around. <eg>

Thank you for this excellent descriptive comparison @musicman1951 I’m in Europe and CSS is nearly impossible to get our only at a steep premium. I think it doubles in price after VAT and duties. MdC on the other hand is readily available as you can imagine. I currently have too many soaps as it is but these are high on my list of future buys.

Cheers,

Guido

Very interesting, and thanks for the data for us nerdy, geeky types! Out of curiosity, how are your numbers generated? Or did you really do 720 passes from a new tub to an empty tub? Inquiring minds wan to know!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Very interesting, and thanks for the data for us nerdy, geeky types! Out of curiosity, how are your numbers generated? Or did you really do 720 passes from a new tub to an empty tub? Inquiring minds wan to know!
Yes, I do them all. I keep a pencil and piece of paper in the den and put a tick mark for each use. I generally use the soap I'm testing just about every day until it's gone. I'm more curious than anyone.

Top Bottom