What's new

Mayweather vs Canelo: your pick?

It's not like I want to "defend" Floyd here or anything. I'm just suggesting that "toe to toe" is a boxing style ... an option ... rather than a requirement to be a great boxer, regardless of whether Floyd is a great boxer or not.

:wink2:

Very much agree on that. Well said Doc4.

I dislike floyd because of his attitude, but i really can't deny the fact that he's a great boxer. His skills/work ethic are second to none. His record proves this.

Very much agree on that. Well said Doc4.

I dislike floyd because of his attitude, but i really can't deny the fact that he's a great boxer. His skills/work ethic are second to none. His record proves this.

George, lets be real now. Skills and work ethic go hand in hand, and he has never been hit hard because his skills involves evasive maneuvers that us boxing fans detest. A real boxer accumulates a real man record of fights, not evasive maneuvers of wins. Why didn't he fight when the opportunity arose? Because Manny would have tracked him down and scored inside hard.

Hagler vs. Hearns=boxing awesomeness.

In your face boxing is where is at
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
George, lets be real now. Skills and work ethic go hand in hand, and he has never been hit hard because his skills involves evasive maneuvers that us boxing fans detest. A real boxer accumulates a real man record of fights, not evasive maneuvers of wins. Why didn't he fight when the opportunity arose? Because Manny would have tracked him down and scored inside hard.

So according to you, you're not a real boxer/figher unless you agree to stand in front of a power puncher and take his punches? great idea for a long career there.

And not all boxing fans detest his style, i know plenty of people that like to watch floyd fight. The guy is a master at work and i can't hate him for shutting his opponent offense. I know styles make fights, but look what floyd did to marquez, and look how the marquez/pacquiao fights worked out. Floyd would defintely work pacquiao.

I don't know Floyd well enough to comment on whether or not he's a bragging pretty-boy, but I can certainly agree with you that bragging pretty-boys are annoying.

Let me comment on the last two sentences ... in general, I don't have a problem with boxers who adopt a fighting style of not going toe-to-toe with their opponents. I appreciate a boxer who understands his strengths and weaknesses, and who maximises the former and minimises the latter. Maybe that means avoiding toe-to-toe, or maybe it means trying to get there, depending on the boxer.

Let's assume for sake of argument that Floyd's style of fighting is designed by him and his trainers to maximise his strengths and minimise his weaknesses (IMHO a reasonable assumption for that level of boxing). I'm guessing that if he HAD done a lot more toe-to-toe fighting over his career, his won/lost record would not be as good.

It's not like I want to "defend" Floyd here or anything. I'm just suggesting that "toe to toe" is a boxing style ... an option ... rather than a requirement to be a great boxer, regardless of whether Floyd is a great boxer or not.

:wink2:
You seem to be a very perceptive and intelligent boxing fan. I respect your opinion and insight but you seem to be ignoring one factor here. Boxing is a brutal sport that many do not appreciate and would want to ban it as a spectator sport. I can emphasize with the masses but in retrospect we have to be aware that nobody wants to pay a large amount of money to watch a boxer avoid being hit. We pay to see a fight not a avoidance spectacle.

Boxing has evolved through the years and if new generation trainers set up run away tactics as a approach to boxing then i feel deprived of my spectator sport as a whole. I would appreciate new training techniques by trainers that would make boxing more like a real fight.

i dont have anything against Floyd, i just dont like the way he wont go toe to toe like like these few past in your face fighters.

i can solve your problem...

just don't watch his fights and your life would probably be better. Since his style bothers you so much. You don't have to watch mayweather school some of your favorite fighters.

just don't watch his fights and your life would probably be better. Since his style bothers you so much. You don't have to watch mayweather school some of your favorite fighters.
It doesnt bother me at all, i am just having a conversation about it and sharing my insight with others. I dont dislike Floyd, i have said that many times. I also dont favor Canelo over any other boxer. I am just having an expressive chat about the last fight in this post.

The way you keep discrediting his wins, simply because he won't stand there and take punches from his opponents say otherwise.

This is my approach. His style is like watching paint dry to me, so I don't watch anymore. However, he has never schooled any of my favorites.

The way you keep discrediting his wins, simply because he won't stand there and take punches from his opponents say otherwise.
George, it is my opinion. Thats all. I have already stated my insight and why. It is up to you if you agree or disagree. I dont agree and i would love to hear more about it. I am on my Bodybuilding site and the consensus agree that he is not a true fighter, but at this time in boxing he is the only draw......maybe Manny may have luck and KO Rios and set up a pay day with Floyd. If Floyd picks Amir then he may be in for a big one. Amir will chase him down and not get tired.

George, it is my opinion. Thats all. I have already stated my insight and why. It is up to you if you agree or disagree. I dont agree and i would love to hear more about it. I am on my Bodybuilding site and the consensus agree that he is not a true fighter, but at this time in boxing he is the only draw......maybe Manny may have luck and KO Rios and set up a pay day with Floyd. If Floyd picks Amir then he may be in for a big one. Amir will chase him down and not get tired.

Khan has the speed no doubt, but his chin is what i'm worried about. I would pick floyd to win by TKO in the late rounds.

Look man, i have been wanting floyd to lose for a long time. The guy is very skilled. And he's beaten some of my favorite fighters along the way. If you don't appreciate his boxing style fine. I have no problem with that (my cousin hates his style and therefore doesn't watch his fights). But really man, you are coming across as a floyd hater when you discredit his wins and say he runs and is not considered good because he doesn't stand in front of his oppponent and take their punishment. I really don't see why any boxer would want to do that anyway.

Sometimes you take a few to land a very good one, and floyds style allows him to take very little to no damage. No need to discredit the guy.

Last edited:
Khan has the speed no doubt, but his chin is what i'm worried about. I would pick floyd to win by TKO in the late rounds.

Look man, i have been wanting floyd to lose for a long time. The guy is very skilled. And he's beaten some of my favorite fighters along the way. If you don't appreciate his boxing style fine. I have no problem with that (my cousin hates his style and therefore doesn't watch his fights). But really man, you are coming across as a floyd hater when you discredit his wins and say he runs and is not considered good because he doesn't stand in front of his oppponent and take their punishment. I really don't see why any boxer would want to do that anyway.

Sometimes you take a few to land a very good one, and floyds style allows him to take very little to no damage. No need to badmouth the guy.
I am not bad mouthing anyone. Saying that a boxer is not going to toe to toe is not bad mouthing. I have not said anything out of context. I am sure anyone can agree that i have not bad mouthed anyone.

So according to you, you're not a real boxer/figher unless you agree to stand in front of a power puncher and take his punches? great idea for a long career there.

And not all boxing fans detest his style, i know plenty of people that like to watch floyd fight. The guy is a master at work and i can't hate him for shutting his opponent offense. I know styles make fights, but look what floyd did to marquez, and look how the marquez/pacquiao fights worked out. Floyd would defintely work pacquiao.
Then he should have made that fight happen, but too bad he knew better.

Top Bottom