What's new

Mayweather vs Canelo: your pick?

Oh c'mon man, give credit where it's due. Floyds defense is amazing and he made canelo miss badly when he was in the pocket with him and he didnt "run" the whole fight. I dont even like mayweather because of his attitude, but i can admit that he is a truly amazing boxer.

Canelo has conditioning issues, but he's still very young that he can fix them and have a great career.

Saul had no footwork,if you can't keep up with the dancer,make him come to you,Saul chased him and never could catch him long enough to do damage.I don't see Sauls foot speed increasing anytime soon.

Oh c'mon man, give credit where it's due. Floyds defense is amazing and he made canelo miss badly when he was in the pocket with him and he didnt "run" the whole fight. I dont even like mayweather because of his attitude, but i can admit that he is a truly amazing boxer.

Canelo has conditioning issues, but he's still very young that he can fix them and have a great career.
I give Floyd credit for the fight, but i think that skills and heart go together. Floyd should have stayed inside and took some shots. Floyd did make him miss but that was about all of his strategy, stay away and score on the run. He knew Canelo was a bit inexperienced and Floyd did all he could to use that and his evasive skills, not boxing skills.

I give Floyd credit for the fight, but i think that skills and heart go together. Floyd should have stayed inside and took some shots. Floyd did make him miss but that was about all of his strategy, stay away and score on the run. He knew Canelo was a bit inexperienced and Floyd did all he could to use that and his evasive skills, not boxing skills.

Being evasive is part of boxing skills, floyd schooled canelo last night and put on a great boxing performance.

Saul had no footwork,if you can't keep up with the dancer,make him come to you,Saul chased him and never could catch him long enough to do damage.I don't see Sauls foot speed increasing anytime soon.

He admitted that Floyd was evasive and hard to catch, he said that with a sarcastic look too. Even in the middle rounds Canelo put his hands up in gesture as to say stop running away.

I could park a car between the gap
View attachment 368477View attachment 368478View attachment 368479View attachment 368480View attachment 368481

Exactly. Take a look at the early Ali fights before he had refused the draft. He did the same thing. I thought Saul's footwork was good, in fact, good enough to beat almost anyone else except maybe Martinez, but Floyd was just in another league. Floyd could move away from Saul's jab, but Saul couldn't stay away from Floyd's.

Alex, the multi-quote in this reply is in your honor.

I wish we could sit down and watch the fight together. I think you're being unfair to Floyd saying that all he did was stay away and score on the run. I distinctly remember a bunch of times where he squared up in the middle of the ring and invited Alvarez to come get him. Did it a few times against the ropes as well. The young boy grew wary after the first few rounds of coming inside because of the jab.

Should we start a B&B sponsorship of Floid for Floyd?
He doesn't need any of our money.

Being evasive is part of boxing skills, floyd schooled canelo last night and put on a great boxing performance.

My wife asked me if I was satisfied with the fight last night and after I thought about it, said yes. It was a clinic or an exhibition of what a genuinely gifted boxer can do with a merely talented and physically strong opponent. Canelo has a future ahead of him and it may include the hall of fame but there was and is nothing he can do with Floyd.

I would add to what George says that being evasive isn't just part of boxing, it's the most important part. I wish I could remember who said it, but I think it was a trainer who said that any fool can hit another fool, but if you want to win and last in the ring, then you have to learn how not to get hit. The great ones knew this. Especially the ones who fought a long time. Archie Moore, Sugar Ray Robinson come immediately to mind. I think both had well over 100 fights.

I don't think there's anyone left for Floyd to meaningfully fight unless he went way up in weight to fight Martinez and I don't see that happening.

Exactly. Take a look at the early Ali fights before he had refused the draft. He did the same thing. I thought Saul's footwork was good, in fact, good enough to beat almost anyone else except maybe Martinez, but Floyd was just in another league. Floyd could move away from Saul's jab, but Saul couldn't stay away from Floyd's.

Alex, the multi-quote in this reply is in your honor.

I wish we could sit down and watch the fight together. I think you're being unfair to Floyd saying that all he did was stay away and score on the run. I distinctly remember a bunch of times where he squared up in the middle of the ring and invited Alvarez to come get him. Did it a few times against the ropes as well. The young boy grew wary after the first few rounds of coming inside because of the jab.

He doesn't need any of our money.

My wife asked me if I was satisfied with the fight last night and after I thought about it, said yes. It was a clinic or an exhibition of what a genuinely gifted boxer can do with a merely talented and physically strong opponent. Canelo has a future ahead of him and it may include the hall of fame but there was and is nothing he can do with Floyd.

I would add to what George says that being evasive isn't just part of boxing, it's the most important part. I wish I could remember who said it, but I think it was a trainer who said that any fool can hit another fool, but if you want to win and last in the ring, then you have to learn how not to get hit. The great ones knew this. Especially the ones who fought a long time. Archie Moore, Sugar Ray Robinson come immediately to mind. I think both had well over 100 fights.

I don't think there's anyone left for Floyd to meaningfully fight unless he went way up in weight to fight Martinez and I don't see that happening.
Thank you for the multi quote honors:001_tt2:............I do give credit to Floyd, he is a gifted fighter still kicking butt past his prime. I am from Philly [ considered boxing capital of the world] I would like for Floyd to do old school Holyfield, Ali, Tyson and go inside take a beating and earn his props/respect. Canelo would have pummeled him if Floyd was not so evasive through out.. Yes Floyd did go toe to toe on few occasions but it was just spurts to score points on ring leadership. I guess when all is said and done Floyd will pick his next predictable opponent to beat. Maybe Manny? Go down to welterweight to get Garcia?

Last edited by a moderator:
If "footwork evasion" lets a boxer win the fight,that is to his credit,he still must tap the body to get points to win.Staying away from your opponent while scoring points is as honorable a way to win as a good knockout punch,it's just not as exciting to the crowd...

If "footwork evasion" lets a boxer win the fight,that is to his credit,he still must tap the body to get points to win.Staying away from your opponent while scoring points is as honorable a way to win as a good knockout punch,it's just not as exciting to the crowd...

It was his only strategy, he needed to take some of Canelo power and he ran away.

So....is Manny next for Floyd ???

Maybe Manny?

I very much doubt that. The appeal of this fight was gone after Marquez put the stamp on manny.

Go down to welterweight to get Garcia?

i don't think garcia is ready for that.

People keep doubting him though, and he keeps winning. His last 5 wins have been great.

i wouldn't be surprised if they made this fight next.

If only Gennady Golovkin fought at welterweight, what a fight that would be against mayweather.

Thought this was funny:

proxy.php

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'd love to see Manny give it to Floyd. Sadly, the fight we really want to see there was five years ago and never happened.

Should we start a B&B sponsorship of Floid for Floyd?

Or is he just another Bay Rum bum?

:001_tt2:

Thank you for the multi quote honors:001_tt2:............I do give credit to Floyd, he is a gifted fighter still kicking butt past his prime. I am from Philly [ considered boxing capital of the world] I would like for Floyd to do old school Holyfield, Ali, Tyson and go inside take a beating and earn his props/respect. Canelo would have pummeled him if Floyd was not so evasive through out.. Yes Floyd did go toe to toe on few occasions but it was just spurts to score points on ring leadership. I guess when all is said and done Floyd will pick his next predictable opponent to beat. Maybe Manny? Go down to welterweight to get Garcia?

That isn't how fights are these days. Holyfield, Ali and Tyson fought at 220lbs+. That weight class doesn't exist anymore in premier big stage boxing. Floyd fought at 146. LOL he and anybody at that weight would be an IDIOT to think that their strategy should be to taking a beating and wear down the opponent. His skills sets is quickness and endurance.

But in this fight, he absolutely stayed close and sparred with Canelo. Whenever Canelo got a solid shot in, Floyd landed an even bigger one. Floyd countered the hell out of Canelo. He wore canelo out. The guy who gassed after the first few rounds. Floyd barely broke a sweat. That is his game. He is also a genius in finding the holes and attacking when the guy opens up slips up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to see Manny give it to Floyd. Sadly, the fight we really want to see there was five years ago and never happened.

Or is he just another Bay Rum bum?

:001_tt2:
Manny wanted it, but Floyd did not make it happen by wanting Manny to submit to all kinds of drug test. Manny had to sue Floyd for defamation of character after allegations of Steroid use.

Floyd knows how to pick his fights, he will never pick a fight he knows that he will lose. He is a pretty boy boxer, in Philly we eat them up.:popc:

Top Bottom