What's new

Manboobs! (lavender/tea tree) ?

So this is an offshoot of another post which somehow ended up talking about tea tree oil causing manboobs. It didn't really fit with the original topic of the thread, and so I am starting this thread to address this issue specifically.

So when my girlfriend got wind of some men's shaving products having lavender fragrance she got weirded out and told me that it makes men grow breasts. I had never heard of this, and there certainly are a lot of lavender shaving things. And as of today I am reading that tea tree oil has been found to have a similar effect. A surprise to me, because I have been avoiding lavender, but have regularly been using aftershave with tea tree oil in it.

So the condition is called gynecomastia, and I guess has only been documented in prepubescent boys. Though it seems to be that lavender and tea tree essential oils are in some cases acting to suppress natural androgen levels and promote estrogen. Even if you didn't develop distinctly feminine features, this wouldn't necessarily be a good thing for any male, prepubescent or otherwise.

Here is a link:
http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/jan2007/niehs-31.htm

In fairness, these boys they mention in the article might be one-in-ten-million instances. And they may have been completely smeared in leave-on lavender lotion 24/7. There are enough lavender and teatree products out there if the effect was so significant they would not be able to sell them.

Anyways, its some food for though. I'm interested to know if anyone else has or has had concerns about this.

I remember catching wind of this back in '06, and in my well-paid expert opinion, these assumptions are based off inconclusive and flawed studies. If I can find the original report again, I could give a point-by-point analysis -- but I distinctly remember not being convinced at all that it had any implications for the rest of us who use the occasional lavender or tea tree oil-containing products.

However, if in light of this information any members wish to rid themselves of any lavender or tea tree oil-containing products (especially Coates TT Oil cream if anyone still has it), PM me for my address and I'll be sure it's disposed of in accordance with local and federal guidelines.

I remember catching wind of this back in '06, and in my well-paid expert opinion, these assumptions are based off inconclusive and flawed studies. If I can find the original report again, I could give a point-by-point analysis -- but I distinctly remember not being convinced at all that it had any implications for the rest of us who use the occasional lavender or tea tree oil-containing products.

+1 This sort of nonsense pops up periodically.

Whoever said it was all happening in pre-pubescent boys hit the nail on the head. There haven't been enough studies for any of this to be conclusive, but anyone who is currently on the cusp of hormonal development would do well to know what they're slathering themselves in.

For us adults, it's not applicable for the most part.

On a somewhat related subject (ok, it's a stretch), I read in today's paper (really!) that the good folks over in Japan have invented a solar powered bra (presumably for women, not boob-ified men). It contains solar cells and a power cord which then could be used to power your cell phone or mp3 player.
The article went on to admit that it probably wasn't as useful as it may sound since the solar cells (presumably) would be covered up most of the time and not able to store light energy. But, if ya got manboobs.... well, that's a whole different story isn't it? Solar Manzier, aisle 8 next to the hunting socks.

there have been similar statements about consumption of soy products.

I'm with rabid...my rack is gonna look SWEET (no touchee, guys...unless you got cold hard cash).

there have been similar statements about consumption of soy products.

I'm with rabid...my rack is gonna look SWEET (no touchee, guys...unless you got cold hard cash).

The anti-soy argument, I find convincing especially given that they use soy as a natural treatment for peri-menopausal women. The lavender/tea tree issue is probably not a problem for anyone who has begun puberty, but I still avoid them anyhow.

I am not convinced of any realistic impacts to adults either. I avoid lavender as I stated, because my girlfriend is overly concerned about it's effects, and because there are other smells I prefer anyways.

Similar to the soy stuff mentioned above, I have also heard that eating large amounts of poultry is bad for men because of the hormones they use to grow them big is similar to estrogen.

I suppose pretty much anything is bad for you in excess. Remember studies where they showed sugar substitute was dangerous because they stuffed a lab rat so full of it that the thing died. If you drink enough water you can die.

<running and hiding from any further involvement in this line of thought>

hey, I ran and hid here first, find somewhere else....
"can't sleep, clown'll eat me....can't sleep, clown'll eat me...."

/end topic hi-jack....sorry

I'd heard the "results" that TTO had this effect, but not lavender

First of all, this paper was published in the NEJM, so I don't think that anyone can dismiss it as rubbish (unless that person can back his claim with relevant data which has been published in a refereed medical journal).

But the only thing that this paper tells us is that certain essential oils might contribute to the occurence of gynaecomastia in pre-pubertal boys.

There is practically no scientific validity in suggesting -based on the findings of this research paper- that cosmetics containing those essential oils will cause gynaecomastia to adult men.

So, in my opinion, you can continue using your lavender and tea tree creams, soaps and aftershaves without any fear that you will end up like poor old Bob Paulson :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom