What's new

Luc DE Blades Review Project

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I received today what was missing from the best-selling blades. At least, what I thought was interesting to test as I did not re-order a full sampler but only a few missing tucks. Wiki updated. Tests with the first replacement are almost completed. I'm currently on shave #5 (#6 tonight). The second replacement is a razor that I know but it's in transit.
IMG_1958.JPG

Luc

Staff member
I was testing the last razor of the lineup when I noticed an issue with it. I am currently trying to fix it so I will shave with a Gillette Tech (made in Canada) until the razor is either ready or declared not worthy. I have a backup plan stuck in customs at the moment...

Luc

Staff member
As a quick update, I tried a few variations for the final razor(#5). It took more time than anticipated but I shaved every day and enjoyed it so who's complaining? I will update the Wiki page as soon as I'm ready to Rock'n'Roll!

Luc

Staff member
I was going to post this tomorrow but there's nothing like right now!

The lineup for the reviews (left to right)
  • Merkur 38C (barberpole)
  • Gillette Tech with a RazoRock UFO handle
  • RazoRock Game Changer .76 with an HD Handle
  • Gillette Super Speed Y1
  • Fendrihan MKII Scientist

IMG_2016.JPG

First, shave tonight. The packaging changed a bit for the Astra Superior Platinum (Made in India) with my Merkur 38C.
IMG_2014.JPGIMG_2015.JPG

I should probably specify what I'm looking for.

I am looking for a blade that is sharp and smooth (aren't we all) in all 5 razors. I would also want something that I can use for 7 shaves in all 5 razors (so that I can change the blade weekly). Finally, this one probably won't get it but if those glue spots aren't there, I would be happier.

I know, that I can use the old blade to scrape the glue spots off. I could also buy some of the known blades that are not glued in the packaging. I did not want to limit the options too much so the glue spots are nice to have.

I will try to aim for 7 shaves and report back.

For the last razor, it was close. I find that the Super Speed Y1 is giving me better shaves than the Gillette Super Speed Blue Tip and the Gillette Super Speed Black Handle. I tried the Schick Krona that came in a lot that I bought. It's good but the Y1 is better for me. I wanted a TTO for this as I don't usually use them.

The wiki page is updated to reflect the lineup and control group.

Luc

Staff member
Post-shave #1 with Astra SP (India) + Merkur 38c. I see what everyone means regarding the Astra SP (Russia) vs Astra SP (India). To be honest, I don't know if I would say that the one made in India is sharper or not. They are not distant cousins. They are brothers sharing a room! Both blades are *very* similar. If it wasn't for the packaging, I probably wouldn't notice. I find them identical. It's a good start but it's been 1 shave so I won't say right now that the experiment is done (I still have a good stack to finish).

I'm looking at my list and I see that I lack Chinese blades. Since China is a player in blade production I have blades to test from nearly every country except China. I should look at getting 1 or 2 tucks from China. I need to do some reading as I don't know which ones are worth it yet.

I re-updated the wiki page to include my objectives (i.e. what I want in a blade).

Funny story, Google is listening. I got a 70s advertisement (UK) on YouTube yesterday regarding Personna Stainless Steel blades. They had someone trying two razors, one with the Personna and the other one with another blade.

Post-shave #1 with Astra SP (India) + Merkur 38c. I see what everyone means regarding the Astra SP (Russia) vs Astra SP (India). To be honest, I don't know if I would say that the one made in India is sharper or not. They are not distant cousins. They are brothers sharing a room! Both blades are *very* similar. If it wasn't for the packaging, I probably wouldn't notice. I find them identical. It's a good start but it's been 1 shave so I won't say right now that the experiment is done (I still have a good stack to finish).
Best Friends Bff GIF by reactionseditor

• Haha
Reactions: Luc

Luc

Staff member
I think that the Blade conspiracy is real.

If I look specifically at :

PERSONNA – LAB BLUE vs PERSONNA – MED PREP.

They are both labeled on RBC as:
  • Manufacturer: American Safety Razor
  • Coating: Stainless
  • Blades not packed
The Lab Blue is way cheaper. Is there an actual difference? Fortunately, I have some Lab Blue in my stack to test. I had to label them as they came in a small bag without anything written on the paper. My overall experience with Personna was always good but I have a few modern iterations to test.

Back to the Chinese Blades. I saw on RSC:
  • BAILI – SUPER BLUE (BP005) - Currently N/A
  • BAILI – SUPER BLUE (BP003) - Available in 100
  • BAILI PLATINUM BP001 - Available in 1-5
  • CLOUD SUPER STAINLESS - Available in 100
  • CLOUD BRUCE LEE - Available in 100
  • CLOUD BLUE B2004 - Available in 100
  • GILLETTE – LONDON BRIDGE - Available in 100
  • GILLETTE – PLATINUM NEW (CHINA) - Available in 100
  • GILLETTE – SUPER BLUE - Available in 100
  • GILLETTE – SUPER THIN PLATINUM (CHINA) - Available in 1-6-30
  • GILLETTE – SUPER THIN PLATINUM (VIETNAM) - label as China so I'm guessing it's the same as the above version but for the Vietnamese market. - Available in 100
  • GILLETTE – WILKINSON SWORD (CHINA) - Available in 100
  • RIMEI – SUPER STAINLESS - Available in 100
  • ROCKWELL - Available in 100
  • YING JILI RED - Available in 100
  • YING JILI BLUE - Available in 100
The sudden interest comes from the fact that Chinese Schick blades (Injector) were always the best of all the injector blades that I tried. So maybe (I say maybe here), there might be a double edge that is above average and worthy.

This thread from 2017 seems to point out that I should not waste any time on them. However, this thread from 2024 (the process was refined maybe?) will possibly help identify the good from the bad, I shall follow it!

There's a good chunk of threads regarding the Wilkinson Sword made in India vs made in China. It seems that the consensus is that the ones made in India are superior (I have some of these).

The Cloud ones are fairly cheap compared to the other blades but the package is the only pretty thing from what I understood here.

I have seen a few Gillette London Bridge floating around but I do not know if they are part of an experiment (review) or if they are worthy. @ajkel64, I'm looking at you here :)lol:).

Anyway, I might align myself with Balin's Blade Bonanza if we match blades when I'm ready to switch and they also switch.

Luc

Staff member
Out of curiosity, is there anyone located in Canada who ordered from RazorBladeClub that was hit with a customs fee? If so, how bad was the shaveapocalypse (it goes by declared value usually)? I had to pay a tax on imported goods before and often, the tax is higher than what I purchased (which is ridiculous).

To maximize my purchases, I would order what I want (if I reach that level one day) but I would like to avoid 10 transactions of 100 blades. So far I have done maybe 120 blades in 1 shipment without issues.

Luc

Staff member
I’ve completed 7 shaves with the Merkur.

Next, Gillette Tech (RazoRock UFO handle) with Astra SP (India). This is going to be tonight.
98ED1615-869B-40BE-B0FA-EB736B49D176.jpeg

Luc

Staff member
2 shaves in with the Gillette Tech. The angle is slightly different compared to the Merkur. I can barely feel the blade but it's shaving my beard all right. So far, DFS on shave 1 (the angle was a bit off) and BBS on second (yesterday).

Top Bottom