What's new

Lotion Bar for Dry Hands

My hands get dry occasionally throughout the year and very dry and cracked in the coldest winter months. The problem is I hate lotions that leave a greasy feel; just can't stand it.

@Captain Pre-Capsize mentioned lotion bars in this thread on blade banks (post 42, does that mean lotion bars are the answer to everything?). I didn't want to derail the thread any further than I already had so I created this one.

Just curious to learn more about lotion bars and any preferred brands. They aren't a product I'd ever heard about before but based on a quick Google search it seems they might be ideal for me. I'd also be interested in learning about any non-greasy lotions that are also moisturizing that B&B members enjoy. 🍻

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
My hands get dry occasionally throughout the year and very dry and cracked in the coldest winter months. The problem is I hate lotions that leave a greasy feel; just can't stand it.

@Captain Pre-Capsize mentioned lotion bars in this thread on blade banks (post 42, does that mean lotion bars are the answer to everything?). I didn't want to derail the thread any further than I already had so I created this one.

Just curious to learn more about lotion bars and any preferred brands. They aren't a product I'd ever heard about before but based on a quick Google search it seems they might be ideal for me. I'd also be interested in learning about any non-greasy lotions that are also moisturizing that B&B members enjoy. 🍻
I use CeraVe moisturizing lotion a lot with 3 essential ceramides(fats?) and Hyaluronic acid. It is like a balm but seems to work fairly good, where I live it gets extremely cold in Northern Alberta Canada(-40C for weeks sometimes) and hands tend to dry out and skin will crack from regular washing hands also. It is does help a lot but it is not fool proof. It does not leave a oily skin and I use it also for a aftershave balm + scentless. Excellent lotion and resonably priced for what you get.
Make sure what ever lotion you buy it has Hyaluronic acid because it is a game changer for any moisturizing lotion.

Another excellent moisturizing lotion I bought last year to test for winter skin cracking on my hand areas is Neutrogena Hydro boost Lotion with good success also, it is slightly more oily at first but dries quickly as compared to CeraVe Moisturizing lotion. These are the 2 lotions I use with reasonable success, Cold will dry the skin + we also use forced heat fan furnace and that also contributes to drying out the skin and will crack skin beside the finger nails is where I get the worse problems it seems.
(Some old archived photo's, click photo to enlarge)

Z-CeraVe shave products  (2).jpg
Neautrogena lotion.jpg

Another thing that might help is to buy a jar of lanolin.

Honestly, I had never heard of a lotion bar until the OP brought it up.

Consider checking out brands like Beesilk, Honey House, and Lush's Lotion Bars. They're all highly commended for their non-greasy yet very moisturizing effects. Plus, they are easy to handle (no pun intended), just glide them over your hands like a bar of soap and rub in the lotion.

One thing I noticed is that in order to get some of these lotions into a bar form some add wax. I wonder if this leaves hands and skin feeling waxy?

Another thing that might help is to buy a jar of lanolin.

Honestly, I had never heard of a lotion bar until the OP brought it up.

I hadn't heard of them either until 2 days ago. It blows my mind how something can be totally under the radar in 2023 with the internet and all that connectivity.

I appreciate the recommendations and look forward to trying out these various products to see what works best. 🍻

Top Bottom