What's new

Let's see your Spyderco's!

My EDC. As you can see, it is carried and used daily. Spyderco Delica 4 British Racing Green ZDP-189

IMG_3828.JPG
IMG_3827.JPG

On a semirelated note, just picked up the Spyderco Sharpmaker - a system that works, according to many - for a paltry $25 at wallyworld. Had been $58, and THAT was on sale.

AA
Whaaaaaat??! I didn't know they even carried it. Just bought one on Amazon for about $55. What a deal!
I was browsing Cabelas yesterday and they had them for $70-80.

On a semirelated note, just picked up the Spyderco Sharpmaker - a system that works, according to many - for a paltry $25 at wallyworld. Had been $58, and THAT was on sale.

AA
That is an amazing deal. I paid $63 from BladeHQ. I've heard good things about the product. I read somewhere that it was the first Spyderco product, before they made their first knife.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yup- for any calling Bravo Sierra (and I wouldn't blame you), I have saved the receipt ... :001_tongu I have to watch the DVD and figure the thing out. Instructions are first class; even shows a khukuri - my spirit blade - being sharpened.

Both WWs locally have dumped clearance stuff from their sporting goods sections. They had 3 Sharpmakers left at $58 and I wanted one, but. Needed other things (cough, cough .300 Blackout ammo) so I didn't bite. One left at $25; you bet I grabbed it. (I stink at *consistent* sharpening. It is a curse placed upon me)

They had a Kershaw Firestrike knife for $10! Down from $30, but knives, I have ...

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Also, I need to put up some Spyderco knife pix.

Forum bud traded me a Native a long time ago; love that knife. I also have the big Salt in H-1, and a really good Hawkbill; forget that one's name ... it's all-metal.

AA

Yeah that's a beauty. Looks like a loved knife! Just picked one up in the same steel, haven't had to sharpen it yet. I heard it's pretty tough stuff and kind of a beast to put an edge on.

It is very hard so it is harder to sharpen although you can send it in and they will sharpen it for you. I use the Lansky Diamond Sharpening System. It works although I don't like how the bevel looks using the fine diamond hone that comes with it. I probably need the ultra fine hone, or use my DMT or some other hone to get a nicer and smoother bevel.

The ZDP-189 steel is also more brittle than some of the other steels so.......be careful and no prying with your blade. :117:

It is very hard so it is harder to sharpen although you can send it in and they will sharpen it for you. I use the Lansky Diamond Sharpening System. It works although I don't like how the bevel looks using the fine diamond hone that comes with it. I probably need the ultra fine hone, or use my DMT or some other hone to get a nicer and smoother bevel.

The ZDP-189 steel is also more brittle than some of the other steels so.......be careful and no prying with your blade. :117:
Thanks for the tip! I was actually reading up on that last night, different steel properties and such. It's pretty interesting for a dork like me. It seems like there are a lot of trade offs when it comes to manufacturing steel; hardness traded for toughness, corrosion resistance traded for ability to hold an edge and so on. The pursuit for a "perfect" knife steel has yielded some interesting products.

Yup- for any calling Bravo Sierra (and I wouldn't blame you), I have saved the receipt ... :001_tongu I have to watch the DVD and figure the thing out. Instructions are first class; even shows a khukuri - my spirit blade - being sharpened.

Both WWs locally have dumped clearance stuff from their sporting goods sections. They had 3 Sharpmakers left at $58 and I wanted one, but. Needed other things (cough, cough .300 Blackout ammo) so I didn't bite. One left at $25; you bet I grabbed it. (I stink at *consistent* sharpening. It is a curse placed upon me)

They had a Kershaw Firestrike knife for $10! Down from $30, but knives, I have ...

AA
Man I might have to go check that out and grab a spare for a friend or two.
I still need to use mine, I did hear the video that comes with it was very useful. I bought it to replace a $15 Lansky ceramic rod set (which I was really happy with).

Native 5 Lightweight just came in. S35vn is some nice steel. Knife fits my hand nicely. Also, while not G10, the FRN scales seem nicer than those on my old Delica.
DSCN1478[1].JPG

I really like the feel of the FRN scales. I didn't realize they were going to be so solid feeling, seem tougher than they look.
The FRN on my Delica has served me well, but they also have liners. The Native Lightweight does not so I wasn't sure how sturdy they would be. They seem just as strong, but they also look and feel a little nicer, maybe they spec'd a little higher quality to compensate for making the knife linerless. Of course, this could just be my imagination, but I am definitely pleased with this knife.

Last edited:
Just busted out the sharpmaker, super impressed. My Yojimbo had gotten pretty dull, wouldn't shave arm hair.
I set a double bevel on it (30 degrees then 40) with 20 strokes through all 4 steps just like he recommends in the video. Got it sharp enough to just brush off arm hair. Zero effort. I've never gotten a knife so sharp so easily.
The video is really good. Sal himself guides through how to sharpen most anything with this and explains it all very clearly.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Finally I shot some pix ...

H1 Salt, older (FRN) Native and the hawkbill one ... forget what it's called, but made in Seki City Japan, and we know that's good.

full

Also the $25 Sharpmaker- which I haven't even touched yet.

full

The Native has the CPMS30V steel - easy to sharpen and long-lasting edge.

AA

Top Bottom