What's new

Lather bowls

Got the Pereira lathering bowl recently. TBH, when this first came out, I was dubious, but having used it, I consider it one of my best shaving purchases in the last year. YMMV and all that, but it has been terrific in use for me.

IMG_0866.jpg

Nice. You could superglue some steel washers to the bottom and be good to go!
I find the various bumps and ridges some bowls have to be a bit overrated. I did try sticking down some adhesive silicon, soft stops available from the hardware store. These made a nice bumpy surface in the bottom of my stainless steel bowl. It made the lather slightly faster but not any better. It also didn’t look very good and it might not be great for the brush either. I don’t think that bumps and ridges are absolutely necessary.

Silver is the way to go. Current bowl is below. Ideal size and shape. Heat transfer is phenomenal. Good thermal mass. Also happens to have a few ridges in the bottom from the shape of the base. Shines like anything. It’s probably overkill but I like it.

3A3A06F6-724C-4A5F-93C9-4C6304A1F3CB.jpeg

I have the Pereira bowl (what a scam!), a plastic apothecary mug and the one I use most when I bowl lather is a Parker Ox horn bowl, just love the looks and how my pure badger feels lathering in this beauty...
IMG_20200301_115036_453.jpg

Cheers..

Very nice. Are there any issues getting this bowl wet? Smell, distortion etc.

Thanks! At first it smells when wet but it goes away with use (it´s how you know its horn and not plastic) I polish it with beeswax every 2-3 months (sometimes more) and never leave it with water after the shave or use hot water (boiling water). I bowl lather every week and never had a crack or peel...

Cheers

I have been using the Fine brand bowl for a couple years now with excellent results. If I had one improvement as for my taste, it would be for the bowl to be deeper as the lather runs over the sides sometimes.
67D7A482-2E20-46DB-A7FB-C9D5AD3BC75B.jpeg

Bowl depth is a very fine balancing act. Too low, you loose later. Too high, you hit the sides with handle. 55mm seems to be the sweet spot. Steep sides and a flared lip seems to help too.

Bowl depth is a very fine balancing act. Too low, you loose later. Too high, you hit the sides with handle. 55mm seems to be the sweet spot. Steep sides and a flared lip seems to help too.
I would gladly tolerate some clinking, if it meant I didn't spend the whole lather session trying to keep the lather in, instead of mixing it. For me, the Fine bowl is unusable because of those low sides.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I have this ceramic ice cream bowl from a “paint-your-own” place. I roughed you the glaze inside with some sandpaper for better lathering, but I usually have a soap puck stuck down in the bottom. The base makes a pretty ergonomic handle and I haven’t dropped and shattered it yet.

840D3700-8D4C-4FC5-89A9-8B3AB32E8FF0.jpeg

I also picked up this handmade clay soup mug a couple weeks back. $3 from a thrift shop. It’s massive and has the characteristic pottery ripples in the bottom that help with building a lather.

CF7C8B78-FAFE-4D17-829E-9DD2E92E9749.jpeg

Both options perform well and I like their uniqueness.

The Pereira bowls looks similar in design to my Fine Accoutrements lather bowl, maybe even superior. As I understand it, it is made of plastic? If so does it retain any heat if you pre-warm it with hot water for a warm lather? That is one thing I like about my Fine ceramic lather bowl-it warms up nicely with hot water. OTOH, being ceramic it is slippery and chips easily. Mine has lots of chips in the rim from dropping it into the sink!

Pereira seems overpriced as hell to me. I use Timeless when i bowl lather these days and I'm very satisfied. It works much better than plain ceramic bowl or mug.

Well my rubber folding pet bowl does a nice unbreakable job as is my 3lb stone mortar.
But something decent looking, easy to clean, unbreakable, comfy to use
Is lacking.
I love the stoneware but I do not want stuff that is breakable in the bathroom.
Paa travel scuttle might be interesting.
In the end all have premium shipping costs.

Broke my Captain's Choice ceramic bowl this morning, so guess I'll read back through this thread. I'll be using my hammered Turkisk copper bowl until I decide on which bowl to buy that I don't really need. Maybe the new CC copper bowl...

Top Bottom