What's new

Lather bowls

I have a timeless bowl, a PAA scuttle, a singing bowl, a mug and a suribachi bowl. I’ve begun face lathering. I’m very curious about the SV Shaving Grail...but it’s $60...View attachment 1060394
This is a nice-looking item, but it would last about five minutes in my bathroom -- I just picture knocking it over and shattering it. Also, I couldn't bring myself to pay $60 for what is essentially a stoneware bowl glued to a candlestick. The best thing to use, IMHO, is a durable bowl that you can hold in the palm of one hand.

This is a nice-looking item, but it would last about five minutes in my bathroom -- I just picture knocking it over and shattering it. Also, I couldn't bring myself to pay $60 for what is essentially a stoneware bowl glued to a candlestick. The best thing to use, IMHO, is a durable bowl that you can hold in the palm of one hand.

The SV bowl is made from wood, and the handle is removable. I have one and it is a very nice bowl. I'm not sure it's worth the money, that's subjective, but it is a very nice bowl to use.

I also use the Timeless bowl frequently, and I like that one as well.

The SV bowl is made from wood, and the handle is removable. I have one and it is a very nice bowl. I'm not sure it's worth the money, that's subjective, but it is a very nice bowl to use...
I like that they used wood, also a removable handle, that's very nice.

I like that they used wood, also a removable handle, that's very nice.

The handle is inserted through the top of the bowl and passes through a hole in the bottom. When lathering in the bowl, the lather is actually produced on the top of the handle which has some dimples in it to help.

There's an o-ring to seal around where the handle passes through the bottom of the bowl.

The handle is inserted through the top of the bowl and passes through a hole in the bottom. When lathering in the bowl, the lather is actually produced on the top of the handle which has some dimples in it to help.

There's an o-ring to seal around where the handle passes through the bottom of the bowl.

Thanks for elaborating. Would not have guessed that from the photo. Interesting design choice. While that's nice for storage at least, I think I would prefer a design where the handle attaches to a solid bowl so you can choose to use the bowl without it. You're also relying on that seal to keep soap and water from dripping down the handle.

Does it balance easily? While a wooden bowl won't shatter I'd still worry about knocking it over and making a mess of lather everywhere. It's nice to look at though!

Thanks for elaborating. Would not have guessed that from the photo. Interesting design choice. While that's nice for storage at least, I think I would prefer a design where the handle attaches to a solid bowl so you can choose to use the bowl without it. You're also relying on that seal to keep soap and water from dripping down the handle.

Does it balance easily? While a wooden bowl won't shatter I'd still worry about knocking it over and making a mess of lather everywhere. It's nice to look at though!

I enjoy using it. I find the handle makes it very quick and easy to pick up off a countertop using a single hand with no fumbling around. The removable handle makes it easy to clean in a shallow sink. I've never had a significant problem with knocking it over.

I will say that I paid nowhere near 60 dollars for it. More like 24 bucks.

Outstanding, let me know how it goes! Didn't know Maggard stocked them at all!
Its great.
The size and weight are perfect. I had originally wanted the heavy one but am completely happy with the regular 7oz. The heavy is 10 oz so its not really double the weight. It really was noticeable the way the lather built up quickly compared to what I was using before. No regrets! I hope it lasts forever....it sure seems like it will. Packing was excellent too. Impressive all around. Is like to give a shout out to Maggard. I ordered a la toja shaving cream and there was a crack in the bottom of the tube and it was leaking all over the place. It was in a box but I just threw out the box at work and tossed the tube in my bag. So it seeped la toja all over my backpack. Anyway, I emailed them last night and they have already shipped the replacement as of this morning. Great customer service.

Last edited:
After reading this thread, I was in my local Walmart store and picked up a plastic salsa bowl for a buck and a half. Brought it home, roughed up the inside with coarse sandpaper, and for good measure, used some epoxy to attach a few pennies to the inside.

Good grief! The lather exploded out of nowhere.

Good thing is, since it's $1.50 worth of plastic, I can take it on the road with me with no worries about breaking it.

Its great.
The size and weight are perfect. I had originally wanted the heavy one but am completely happy with the regular 7oz. The heavy is 10 oz so its not really double the weight. It really was noticeable the way the lather built up quickly compared to what I was using before. No regrets! I hope it lasts forever....it sure seems like it will. Packing was excellent too. Impressive all around. Is like to give a shout out to Maggard. I ordered a la toja shaving cream and there was a crack in the bottom of the tube and it was leaking all over the place. It was in a box but I just threw out the box at work and tossed the tube in my bag. So it seeped la toja all over my backpack. Anyway, I emailed them last night and they have already shipped the replacement as of this morning. Great customer service.
Cool, thanks Juno! I mailed them and they told me they had no plans to stock the heavy
...I had my heart set on it but for 3oz the difference can't be too much?! On the surface looks like Maggard will be cheaper to ship to me here in Ireland than Captain's Choice themselves, must check it out fully...if it is, I'll go for the regular copper! Just love the idea of the copper, very sunken treasure-esque!

Cool, thanks Juno! I mailed them and they told me they had no plans to stock the heavy
...I had my heart set on it but for 3oz the difference can't be too much?! On the surface looks like Maggard will be cheaper to ship to me here in Ireland than Captain's Choice themselves, must check it out fully...if it is, I'll go for the regular copper! Just love the idea of the copper, very sunken treasure-esque!
I ordered it with some other stuff to get free shipping. After having looked at them closer, I decided I liked the rolled edge better. I don't think you will be disappointed in the weight. I was quite happily surprised. The weight and dimensions are perfect. Not sure how expensive their international shipping is, but they are probably your best bet.

I ordered it with some other stuff to get free shipping. After having looked at them closer, I decided I liked the rolled edge better. I don't think you will be disappointed in the weight. I was quite happily surprised. The weight and dimensions are perfect. Not sure how expensive their international shipping is, but they are probably your best bet.
They've much cheaper shipping than Captain's itself so happy days!

Check out a product called Shavebowl. I think it works great.
5C5721F2-CB3F-4C10-9CF0-74396A9B1054.png

Ordered that last night! 😀

My first bowl, Captain's Choice. Pros: Excellent weight & balance, perfect fit in my hand (size L gloves), raised circular ridges build an excellent lather. Cons: I'd like a bit more depth to the bowl to prevent the foam from spilling out/over. YMMV
Haul 12 28 19 sm.jpg

Top Bottom