What's new

Lambda Athena Cap and Baseplate Pass Around

First shave, with a Gillette Silver Blue blade. I have never held a higher quality razor. Just wow. I'll echo what others have said in comparing the Athena to the Overlander: the Athena is slightly more efficient, the Overlander is slightly smoother. I'm jazzed I have this opportunity to see how the other half lives. Tomorrow will be a Wizamet day, then off to the next member.

First shave, with a Gillette Silver Blue blade. I have never held a higher quality razor. Just wow. I'll echo what others have said in comparing the Athena to the Overlander: the Athena is slightly more efficient, the Overlander is slightly smoother. I'm jazzed I have this opportunity to see how the other half lives. Tomorrow will be a Wizamet day, then off to the next member.

Interesting that you say slightly more efficient. I have and like both as well. I find the Athena to be a significant step more efficient. If you aren't already, listen to when the Athena is making the most noise, that is a little bit more steep than when it first engages. Then it gets more efficient in my experience.

Interesting that you say slightly more efficient. I have and like both as well. I find the Athena to be a significant step more efficient. If you aren't already, listen to when the Athena is making the most noise, that is a little bit more steep than when it first engages. Then it gets more efficient in my experience.
I'll experiment more next time and use a sharper blade.

I’m with you. The Athena is considerably more efficient than the Overlander….and way more fun to shave with IMHO.

Great to hear you like the razor. You do know that you can keep the head for up to two weeks, correct? No need to pass it on just yet if you don't want to.

Edited to add: I can't remember if I ever stated in the thread how long each member gets, but so far it's two weeks. If several more people sign up it might go down to 10 days each, but we'll just see how it goes.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Yes. I'll get three shaves in and then send it along, which is plenty for me. I wanted to experience the Lambda more than anything else, and what's immediately apparent is this thing is on another level.
It's nice to hear from other people.... but when you get the chance to try it for yourself, you end up realizing.... Most of us, not all, experience the same things with Theo's two razors... the Athena and the Ares.... I might end up owning an Ares one day... or a stainless steel Athena.

I hate making pronouncements of my absolutely favorite razors... but if forced, I would say, the Athena is my top DE razor...and the La Faulx is my top AC razor.

Edited to add: I can't remember if I ever stated in the thread how long each member gets, but so far it's two weeks. If several more people sign up it might go down to 10 days each, but we'll just see how it goes.
Aweful nice of you to give everyone that much time with the razor. I believe most pass arounds allow like 5 days with the razor before moving it on. That gives the user 3-5 shaves with it.

Boy, wish I could join in. Looking for my next razor and this made the list.

Does anyone know what kind of availability there is? Are they to order, or first come first serve?

Does anyone know what kind of availability there is? Are they to order, or first come first serve?
I emailed Lambda last week about that. Next batch should drop probably this week. I think you can get on the waiting list through Lambda's web site or via email. Last batch sold out in a week or 2 I think. He'll also have a small batch of SS and TI Athenas in a couple of months.

It's nice to hear from other people.... but when you get the chance to try it for yourself, you end up realizing.... Most of us, not all, experience the same things with Theo's two razors... the Athena and the Ares.... I might end up owning an Ares one day... or a stainless steel Athena.

I hate making pronouncements of my absolutely favorite razors... but if forced, I would say, the Athena is my top DE razor...and the La Faulx is my top AC razor.
For me, the Athena is my favorite SB razor. The Ares is my favorite OC razor and hopefully the La Faulx appears on my doorstep in the next few days. The Lambdas are superb.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
For me, the Athena is my favorite SB razor. The Ares is my favorite OC razor and hopefully the La Faulx appears on my doorstep in the next few days. The Lambdas are superb.
I only have a few open comb razors... but no Ares... ummm "yet". I enjoy shaving with my Timeless Ti 0.68OC with its Crown handle. It's pretty pricey, but I already have a plethora of Crown handles so I only had to order the head.

I only have a few open comb razors... but no Ares... ummm "yet". I enjoy shaving with my Timeless Ti 0.68OC with its Crown handle. It's pretty pricey, but I already have a plethora of Crown handles so I only had to order the head.
Kim , do yourself a favor and treat yourself to the Ares. You will be happy you did.

Welcome @evahs

1. rsp1202
2. ewk
3. shaveSymptomatic
4. jesseix
5. Chickencutlets
6. gpjoe
7. Tathlum
8. Evahs

I'll continue accepting new registries through Sunday. If you want to join, get in by then! Hope everyone enjoys the razor and that it convinces a few to purchase one of their own.

The ares remains the best DE I’ve used but the maintenance was a bit much for me. I’m very happy with my Masune open comb base plate. I’m curious if this will beat the Tatara. Perhaps a stainless fits the bill for me, although the price tag on them was insane.

I'd like to try the Ares one day but I'm kind of like you in that I'm not a huge fan of the extra maintenance required with bronze. Maybe if I ever see a steel one I'll try it.

What was the expensive steel razor, the Tatara or the Ares?

Top Bottom