What's new

La Faulx by Atelier Durdan Pass Around…..

Hi everyone! Been lurking around for a couple of months but this is my first post. I'm relatively new to wet shaving, but fell very deep and very fast into the rabbit hole, largely due to this wonderful forum. Thanks! (?)

Anyway, I got into SE razors early as I only shave my head and neck, and the wide blade format was appealing. The Yaqi Romulus was my first, and I enjoyed it so much I decided to jump on a La Faulx after reading about it here. Haven't seen many pictures of the brass one so I thought I'd share some of mine that got here yesterday.

View attachment 1807015View attachment 1807029

It looks so good, and feels great in the hand. I got the standard and ++ plates and tried the standard with a feather pro for my first run yesterday.

View attachment 1807031
This combo was a little too mild for my head, so I had to do a lot of buffing, but I was surprised how little irritation and alum feedback I got. I will experiment with blades (feather pro super works great in the Romulus, and judging from this thread it might be a good pair with this one too) and I'm also eager to try the ++ plate to see if it will provided the needed uptick in efficiency. I am sure my technique is part of the issue too, so I'll keep working on getting the angles right. I love the weight and smoothness and look of the razor, so all in all I'm very happy so far! Anyone else using this for head shaves?

Greetings from Sweden,
Kristoffer
Very beautiful brass my compliments
I had considered brass, but if the price is the same as steel I always prefer steel "personal opinion"

Much smoother but less efficient with the Classic base. The Medium + gets closer to the Vector but not quite. The Vector is much lighter and more maneuverable but also more aggressive. The ++ plate may be the more comparable La Faulx option. I like my Vector but love my La Faulx.
thank you, that is very helpful.

The La Faulx is the only razor that makes me wonder why I own other razors.

20240308_054015.jpg

1000016327.jpg

So, tonight's shave taught me two things.

1: The La Faulx is deceptively efficient. The head shaving angles are still a work in progress for me, but I realized that I've been using a much too shallow angle with the LF. Probably because I misjudged the smooth feeling and relative lack of sound feedback, thinking it meant it wasn't doing the job. I tried a Kai Titan Mild yesterday with the ++ plate and felt it was a little tuggy and uncomfortable, so I skipped going ATG which leaves my head pretty gritty.

So today I went with a Feather ProGuard and focused on maintaining a more neutral angle. This resulted in a comfortable and smooth shave, with a completely acceptable ATG pass and some buffing. Will keep on working on my technique and trusting the razor more. This is so much fun!

2 (might be OT in this thread, sorry) : I'm allergic to Proraso Green. Took me about 90% of a bottle of AS balm and 50% of a tub of shaving cream to get it through my thick head enough to move past mere "Huh"s and "That's weird"s and just move the stuff into the back of a cabinet. It's a little milder than what I experienced with a couple of other soaps where my head and neck flared up like a traffic light, but I should have realized sooner. Maybe I should skin test everything I have to see if my neck irritation might be worsened by allergenes. I'm loving the learning curve and I realize that I should exercise so much more patience to learn what works for me. Probably won't, but should.

Pretty sure I went through the entire Vestige and La Faulx thread and was wondering if anyone uses other handles on these, and if so which ones are your favorites? I could see the Timeless Crown working with both. If / when I make a purchase for both of these razors (also considering the DE Le Maurice as well) I'd be just ordering the heads to save on cost.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Pretty sure I went through the entire Vestige and La Faulx thread and was wondering if anyone uses other handles on these, and if so which ones are your favorites? I could see the Timeless Crown working with both. If / when I make a purchase for both of these razors (also considering the DE Le Maurice as well) I'd be just ordering the heads to save on cost.
I have a complete bronze La Faulx and loved it so much, I bought just the basic polish SS razor head. I do use it on a Timeless Ti Crown handle. There is a weight difference, obviously, but the shaves seem identical to me.

I bought the SS La Faulx to bring along on this 3 week trip... one week left to go. I've used it for every shave and just love it.

RS_2_25_2024 SOTD.jpg

I have a complete bronze La Faulx and loved it so much, I bought just the basic polish SS razor head. I do use it on a Timeless Ti Crown handle. There is a weight difference, obviously, but the shaves seem identical to me.

I bought the SS La Faulx to bring along on this 3 week trip... one week left to go. I've used it for every shave and just love it.

View attachment 1809759
That is a ringing endorsement for sure!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
That is a ringing endorsement for sure!
I should have specified... Both of my La Faulx-s are "Classic"s... I tend to like the higher end of the mild range to the lower end of the medium range. All my razors fit in that zone. I get 12 hour shaves with all my top razors, including the La Faulx-s.

If you are interested, you can see all my Top Razors posted on my journal.... You can start at the last page and go forwards a bit and they are all there. I didn't have the SS La Faulx at the time, so it isn't included.

I know I keep repeating myself, but the La Faulx might just be the best razor I've ever used.... both in bronze and stainless steel. I feel privileged to own them....

OK, ENOUGH ALREADY!!, You have all convinced me. I just ordered the La Faulx classic in SS. Thanks to @Phoenixkh, @Mr. Shavington, @Elliot, @gdawg55, @Sascoman and @sarir97 for putting up with my endless questions and need for advice. If I left anyone out, I apologize. I am really looking forward to using this razor.
Also, all the comments on this thread were invaluable.
That's why this Forum is the best for any wet shaver seeking help, information and advice.
NOW THE WAIT!

Top Bottom