Karve Goatlander Brotherhood (KGB)

April 7, 2024 Sunday shave

Razor: Karve Overlander, brass
Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super (4)
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Omega 10066 boar
Post shave: Omega alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer

Great shave today. The Overlander delivered a wonderful, close and smooth shave.
The forth use of the Wizamet blade was still spot-on.
The Mitchell's Wool Fat was slick and added to the good skin feel after the shave. No drama, no irritation.

10/10

Have a terrific weekend!

SOTD 04_07_24.jpg

Gentlemen, I tried the Bison today for the first time. 🦬

I made a long detailed post on it in the Bison thread, but the short version:

…I think it gives the Overlander a run for its money, and in a few areas, the Bison bests it.
Great razor. Bravo Karve!

That said, while the Bison definitely does some things better,
I’m quite attached to my Goatlander. It’s not going anywhere.

Do you mind shedding a little light on the gear and process you used for these here?
Absolutely! Bear in mind that I'm a total beginner at this stuff (save for cleaning up a couple of brass candle holders) so there might be any number of flaws to the way I went about this, but I'm happy with the result!

So basically I bought two products, Autosol and Renaissance Wax. I put on some gloves and applied thin layers of Autosol, buffing them in with cotton rags (an old ripped shirt that I cut up) until I got a nice shine. I tried to go with the grain of the metal as much as I could. Then I went over with a clean microfibre cloth before applying the wax with pretty much the same process as the Autosol, but buffing it mainly with the microfibre cloth. This is the result on the copper Overlander:

1000017400.jpg
1000017399.jpg

Attachments

• 1000017401.jpg
    1000017401.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
April 9, 2024 Tuesday shave

Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super Stainless (5)
Soap: Murphy and McNeil The Abbey
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia, Tuxedo knot
Post shave: Barbero alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger Aftershave and Face Tonic

48 hours of growth was eliminated in a three pass shave. No weepers, etc. and no irritation.
All the elements of the shave performed perfectly, EXCEPT for the soap.

Warning: Rant
I used a sample of Murphy and McNeil The Abbey soap. It seemed a bit grainy in appearance in its little plastic envelope. This was a replacement sample for the Great Bear sample I received that wouldn't make lather and burned my face. (To their credit they admitted that they has some bad Great Bear soap that shipped out, my sample included.) I used a normal amount of The Abbey soap in the Captain's Choice bowl, but the soap refused to make good lather. It made a thin, not slick lather, barely enough for two passes. The "lather" was a very thin film that disappeared immediately upon application. The lather had a bit of cushion, but NO slickness or glide was present. This rates as the worst soap I've tried, with the exception of the other Murphy and McNeil sample I used previously. Needless to say, I'm DONE with Murphy and McNeil soaps! TL/DR the soap was a miserable failure.

The Overlander saved the day and provided a great shave, in spite of the soap fiasco!

SODT 04_09_24.jpg

I have the GC .68 but for some reason I was thinking either the Overlander or Henson would be a better fit. Somewhere along the way I decided to wait for the Overlander aluminum to return to stock and go with that. These reviews help. Thanks.
Good choice, imo. I've had a brass and an aluminum OL (two Aluminum actually... have my backup).The Aluminum feels a bit better to me. I am partial to lighter razors, still, I think something this mild and efficient should also be nimble. It's my hair-chopping Ninja! 😆

I haven't met too many folks who didn't love the OL. I have hope it impresses when you do finally get it.

April 9, 2024 Tuesday shave

Blade: Wizamet Iridium Super Stainless (5)
Soap: Murphy and McNeil The Abbey
Brush: Yaqi 24mm Sagrada Familia, Tuxedo knot
Post shave: Barbero alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger Aftershave and Face Tonic

48 hours of growth was eliminated in a three pass shave. No weepers, etc. and no irritation.
All the elements of the shave performed perfectly, EXCEPT for the soap.

Warning: Rant
I used a sample of Murphy and McNeil The Abbey soap. It seemed a bit grainy in appearance in its little plastic envelope. This was a replacement sample for the Great Bear sample I received that wouldn't make lather and burned my face. (To their credit they admitted that they has some bad Great Bear soap that shipped out, my sample included.) I used a normal amount of The Abbey soap in the Captain's Choice bowl, but the soap refused to make good lather. It made a thin, not slick lather, barely enough for two passes. The "lather" was a very thin film that disappeared immediately upon application. The lather had a bit of cushion, but NO slickness or glide was present. This rates as the worst soap I've tried, with the exception of the other Murphy and McNeil sample I used previously. Needless to say, I'm DONE with Murphy and McNeil soaps! TL/DR the soap was a miserable failure.

The Overlander saved the day and provided a great shave, in spite of the soap fiasco!

I've had some bad experiences with M&M as well. I had bought a tub of their Naid soap, that obviously sat tooooo long at their shop, and had little grainy pieces in it. It was replaced with a good, quality soap. That worked well. Unfortunately, later on I had bought some samples (I don't recall the scents) and based on my spotty recollection, I believe they produced some horrible thin lather.

Based on how that replacement Naid worked, I'd almost be willing to try some more... however there's plenty of other soaps I don't feel I would be rolling the dice on (as to whether I might get a bum batch).

Regardless, it appears the Overlander saved the day. Go Karve go! 😀

•Aluminum Overlander
•Fresh Astra SP
•Zenith 507 Manchurian
•Henri et Victoria Amande shave soap

Back to the Overlander after a few shaves with the Bison.
I go back n forth on which razor is more efficient and which is smoother.
It’s damn close on both accounts.
But that head design and shave angle on the Bison… It’s so good.

Don’t kick me out of the club, but… I might prefer the Bison?
*Hides behind couch*

But both are great razors, and neither are going anywhere.
Quite the opposite in fact- I still plan to get a stainless steel Overlander, and another Bison in a different color (and I’ll definitely get a stainless steel Bison if Karve decides to make one).

IMG_4565.jpeg

IMG_4580.jpeg

IMG_4571.jpeg

Bad News as was surfing both Karve’s website, and US Dealers Website. Price on Razor up about $20.00 - $25.00 USD.🤯

Should have but waited too long, got to look on ground for more change.🥰
I started to post the prices, then I realized I was looking at the bison. Oops. That one's still the same, I think.

I see what you were talking about. Wow. There ya go, inflation rearing it ugly head. That's horrible, a 20% increase.
😞

(Just did some quick math from my previous order receipt... converted to USD I get $18.27. Keep in mind, it's Google conversation and not from Karve. Still, Ouch!)

Last edited:
Gentlemen, I tried the Bison today for the first time. 🦬

I made a long detailed post on it in the Bison thread, but the short version:

…I think it gives the Overlander a run for its money, and in a few areas, the Bison bests it.
Great razor. Bravo Karve!

That said, while the Bison definitely does some things better,
I’m quite attached to my Goatlander. It’s not going anywhere.
This is exactly how I felt about the Bison. It shaved just like the Overlander for me, but the head makes it easier to get under my nose. I still prefer the Overlander though - partly because I prefer the heavier options.

Bad News as was surfing both Karve’s website, and US Dealers Website. Price on Razor up about $20.00 - $25.00 USD.🤯

Should have but waited too long, got to look on ground for more change.🥰
I’m not seeing a price increase. The prices are listed in CAD, switch to USD and they’re the same. Actually I think the Stainless Steel Overlander is less than the last time I looked at it.

Plus I think there’s a 10% coupon available In the shopping & deals subforum.
Also, when I ordered my Overlander & Bison, when Chris shipped them he refunded me some money for some reason. I took it to mean a discount of sorts.

Regardless, for how well these razors perform and the OCD level tolerances on them, I wouldn‘t hesitate to pay the prices i‘m seeing on the website.

I’m not seeing a price increase. The prices are listed in CAD, switch to USD and they’re the same. Actually I think the Stainless Steel Overlander is less than the last time I looked at it.

Plus I think there’s a 10% coupon available In the shopping & deals subforum.
Also, when I ordered my Overlander & Bison, when Chris shipped them he refunded me some money for some reason. I took it to mean a discount of sorts.

Regardless, for how well these razors perform and the OCD level tolerances on them, I wouldn‘t hesitate to pay the prices i‘m seeing on the website.

Well the Brass Overlander use to be $91.00 USA, and Stainless was $175.00 USD. Notice the increase as I had 15% off coupon code, from US Dealer, and was think of pulling trigger. Trigger was not pulled

Well the Brass Overlander use to be $91.00 USA, and Stainless was $175.00 USD. Notice the increase as I had 15% off coupon code, from US Dealer, and was think of pulling trigger. Trigger was not pulled

Oh okay. Prices must’ve already changed before I last visited/ordered.
Prices haven't increased by much.

My records show my s-s Overlander setting me back by $170.71 and this was the Labor Day sale - last year on 02-Sep-2023. Dare I say I lined Matt's pockets at RE? I feel just a bit dirty about this.

As I recall, the sale was either 10% or 15% off. Whether shipping was free, I can't recall.

Then, on 05-Oct, I purchased a brass Overlander directly from Chris, and my PayPal receipt shows a delivered price of $105.59. The odd dollars and cents number was likely due to the CAD to USD conversion.

I don't know where you (Iggy) got that $91 price from or how far in the past this was.

So at today's rates (xe.com) a 150CAD Brass Overlander will set you back by $109.44 ... a difference of less than the price of a latté. On Karve's site, 150CAD converts to 109.58.

... Thom

Then, on 05-Oct, I purchased a brass Overlander directly from Chris, and my PayPal receipt shows a delivered price of $105.59. The odd dollars and cents number was likely due to the CAD to USD conversion.

I don't know where you (Iggy) got that $91 price from or how far in the past this was.

Your total includes shipping and an extra 4.5% PayPal conversion fee.

It's pointless to talk about USD due to fluctuating conversions and PayPal fees so here are the CAD prices which are easier to compare.

Overlander price changes: (all CAD)
  • aluminum: $120 => $150
  • brass: $125 => $150
  • stainless steel: $240 => $265
  • copper: $240 => $290

Your total includes shipping and an extra 4.5% PayPal conversion fee.

It's pointless to talk about USD due to fluctuating conversions and PayPal fees so here are the CAD prices which are easier to compare.

Overlander price changes: (all CAD)
  • aluminum: $120 => $150
  • brass: $125 => $150
  • stainless steel: $240 => $265
  • copper: $240 => $290
Fair enough. Since the original comment was about out of pocket expense to the US purchaser, that's what I addressed.

So the message remains thd same: strike while the conversion rate is in your favor.

... Thom

April 11, 2024 Thursday shave

Razor: Karve Overlander, stainless steel
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)
Soap: Cella red
Brush: Maggard synthetic
Bowl: Captain's Choice Heavyweight copper
Post shave: Osma alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Old Spice Original

Terrific shave. No weepers, etc., no irritation. Three passes on two days growth.
The Overlander never fails me, it's always exceptional. After a shave like this, I wonder if 3 Overlanders is enough! :laugh:

10/10 BBS

Enjoy your day!

SOTD 04_11_24.jpg

April 11, 2024 Thursday shave

Razor: Karve Overlander, stainless steel
Blade: Gillette Nacet (1)
Soap: Cella red
Brush: Maggard synthetic
Bowl: Captain's Choice Heavyweight copper
Post shave: Osma alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Old Spice Original

Terrific shave. No weepers, etc., no irritation. Three passes on two days growth.
The Overlander never fails me, it's always exceptional. After a shave like this, I wonder if 3 Overlanders is enough! :laugh:

10/10 BBS

Enjoy your day!

View attachment 1827728
Do I see copper in your future? Let me help you out

IMG_0485.jpeg

Top Bottom