What's new

Just wanted to update everyone and say thanks!

Ok so here goes nothing. This is what we have received so far.

I got my gf a gift, a Van Gogh for v-day. I ordered it from the Modena on eBay and thought it was going to arrive well after Valentine's Day so I have been taunting her. We it arrived well ahead of time so I went ahead and gave it to her early.

Then I hurried up and ordered some stuff from goulet to get some inks and stuff. So this is what I received from them.

You guys recommended I start with a cheaper pen so I got the twsbi eco.

Two different staff picks for sample inks

A glass pen for sampling

A couple of ink syringes

And some other little odds and ends.

I wanted to say thanks for all the help. She loved her Van Gogh and like like my twisbi as well.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
It sounds like you're off to a great start! Mess around with you pens and inks for a bit. Pay attention to what you like and don't like about the pens and inks. Once you really know what you're going for, then it gets more comfortable to recommend pens at a higher price point like you had originally wanted. It could take a few days up to weeks, but you'll probably start to get an idea of what you like and don't like pretty quickly. It's good to hear that you and your girl enjoy your pens. Keep us posted! :thumbup:

I think the TWSBI is a great pen for its pricepoint, and some people think that the Eco could be the best in the range.

It is tempting, having been given a spanner and grease, to take it apart to make something that works very well, work even better. My suggestion is to leave well alone, there is little or no benefit to be gained.

Enjoy your pens. The only difficulty you now face is significantly more expense to improve on the high standards set by the TWSBI.

That's some great stuff. Nice choices of pens at different price levels and of accessories too. Congrats. Which Van Gogh did you get? Nice of you to give the nice pen to the GF. :a2:

I think you'll find those ink syringes useful. If you don't already have one, a bulb syringe is also a good thing to keep in the kit. Great for flushing pens. You can get them cheaply from Goulet or at the local pharmacy department, where they come in ear wash kits.

Regarding the glass dip pen for sampling, do keep in mind that ink will not come off of it (or look the same once it does) as it would from an actual, filled FP. It will of course give you a good idea, but don't feel too surprised if an ink doesn't necessarily look the same as you thought it may when you use it in your pens, if you've only tried it with the glass dip pen.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
While I agree with the above statement, if you pay attention to the ink while you're writing with it, then you can get a good idea of the flow, viscosity, and it's general behavior. Especially, when compared to different inks with the same glass pen.

Top Bottom