What's new

June 2015 Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
finally got me hands on a #16 and a replated Aristocrat Jr 48 to compare shaves. Until I get lucky enough to find a British #21 and #15 OC to complete my obsession with Britist Aristocrats!!!
$jr 48.jpg $16.jpg

In Sao Paulo, managed to find a few sources for blade, and picked up these goodies. No idea what I'll do with the razor, bought it out of curiosity.

EDIT: MacDaddy's post refered to below didn't load all the way on my browser and I didn't see Hoos' College Set. His is identical to the one I'm describing below.

Looks like I found a rather scarce - and very nice - Old Type (OT) College Set.

Full disclosure: The set I purchased included an incorrect NEW as the razor; however, I had a spare gold OT that now has a home.

There are only two references to the OT College Set that I can find. The first is a passing reference in Krumholtz (p. 158) and this thread from MacDaddy (Aug 2011). I've not been able to find any other examples of the College Set. If you've seen any or know of an advert or catalog entry, please let me know!

Interestingly, MacDaddy's set has "Old Type Gillette" at the top of the box, whereas mine has "Genuine Gillette." Another difference is mine came with "two blades/four shaving edges" and his came with one blade. Still another difference is the diamond and arrow logo in the lower left bottom. However, the most obvious is his appears to be a Canadian model while mine is US. The lid design of the cases and their configurations (handle on top, cap and guard bottom left, blade bank bottom right) are the same.

The big question: Does anyone know the year(s) this would have been produced?

Here are some photos:

$image.jpg

$image.jpg

$image.jpg

All the best!

Rick

Last edited:
Almost out of aftershave, so picked up a new bottle while out shopping today.

$IMG_0313.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry, no pictures yet. Scored a Gillette Slim Adjustable in the case and a Gillette Flair Tip for $13.25 at auction. Looking to give them the scrubbing bubbles treatment then get an ultrasonic cleaner. I was able to inspect the Slim prior to purchase, mechanically sound and the plating looked really good under the dirt.

Not shaving related, but couldn't pass this up.

Went into my local Ray's Outdoors (camping/outdoor store) and spotted this Magellan eXplorist GC.

One only, appears to have been the display model, normally AU$179, mega special of AU$39

$IMG_0315.JPG

Picked up 2 Fatboys this week. The one on the left (E2) is unused and has instructions in english and french. The one on the right (E3) was grungy but cleaned up nicely.

Picked these up in a pharmacy in Rio. First time I've seen a soap in Brazil, so had to buy it. Bought the cream more for the retro value. There were some others creams available, but I've got some from a previous trip and still not got to use them!.

My lucky day!

My wife and I decided just to take a day trip, with no set destination, to clear our heads and unwind.
Our third stop was an antique mall we happened upon and this is what I found.

An Illinois Strop Company Barbers Special No.99

A J.A. Henckels Chromium oxide pasted strop

A C.V. Heljestrand No.6 straight razor

And a Gillette Super adjustable N3 (1968)

Picked up at an estate auction. Tip: when viewing it pays to see what's inside the random boxes and tins.

If anyone can identify these, please let me know what I bought!

Boxed Gillette. Bar some minor rust stains and soap scum, she's mint. The box is a little faded inside but no tears and the the blade holder even has some blades.

I know this one (its written on the box) Rolls Razor Imperial No2:

Both the stone and strop are in good nick. If only had the instructions so I knew how its supposed to work.

Mystery time: Osilex. Can anyone enlighten me about this?

What is the roller thing on top of the head? Some sort of strop guide?

It had a blade in it which has a single locating pin.

A heavily tarnished (or has the plating worn off?) Gillette

Any info would be much appreciated.

I'll clean them up and then decide what to do with them. The barn door Gillette looks interesting, the rest I'll probably sell on as starting another collection of stuff would be frowned upon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom