What's new

July 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

SOTD JULY 1st
July 2023 GRUME
Semogue Saturdays

Hello friends

To end the week and start the month, I chose the stupendous Proraso Red. Lather abundantly with Semogue SOC Mistura and heady scent. Green Cult 2.0 plate IV and Wizamet (4) provided a deep shave on my 3 day beard.

Accompanied the event; the great Kurt Rosenwinkel.

Rating: 10

Have a nice weekend and great shaves.
❤️🪒

3E24CC52-36A4-4DC5-8C0B-E98F948E905D.jpeg
IMG_9550.jpeg

Shave #1
- Still In -

• Mike’s Natural | Lime - SOTM
  • Rooney T&H Silvertip 3:2
  • Muhle R89
  • Nacet (1)
  • Kiehl's Blue Astringent
  • Stirling's Glacial Unscented Splash
  • Pinaud’s Limesec Splash
What a way to kick off July. Good bit of manual work around the yard in 90* heat made for a fantastic mid-afternoon shave.
Thinking thus far, Lime on Lime was a fantastic segue into summer
:001_wub:

In! I started July with shave #320 on my Feather blade, a solid 9/10 for quality.
This is also the first time I’ve restocked since late 2022. It’s usually soap, I don’t seem to need DE blades since I have over 100 and don’t seem to be using many. It was also my late annual restock for GRUYER (one year restraint). I fell into a gap since it was my first signup and by its rules and GRUME’s I couldn’t restock. Fortunately the moderator made an exception for my situation.

Day 1, 3.2% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: Rockwell 6S R3, Al handle, Astra SS #1
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm

This week's soap is SV70. Tried an Astra SS (blue) again. I've never liked these much, they are sharp enough (probably sharper than an SP), but not very smooth.

The narrow gap of the R3 plate did an excellent job of taming the blade, and I got a comfortable DFS+. Whoever suggested the "sharp blade + mild razor" combination was right.

In.

Fresh blade, returning to an old friend for SOTMC.

SOTD
  • Rockwell 6S/R4
  • Gillette Nacet (1)
  • Vintage Yardley - SOTMC
  • Maggard's Synthetic
  • WH w/menthol
  • LTFT
  • Stirling Bay Rum ASB
  • Vintage Avon Tai Winds AS
Nice and easy. If I ever ventured into an antique store and found another bowl of Yardley, I would instantly bail on you fine folks - it's that good (for me). Thankfully, I stay well clear of such places, so I'm really in no danger. :)

Onward!

lasta

Blade Biter
Tried a new blade today(Gillette Rubie Plus) and really liked it will have to conserve my tuck till I can restock on some. Good thing I'm using the Prowe and only use half blades:p.

Today's Shave:
Razor: Stando Prowe
Blade: Gillette Rubie Plus
Brush: Phoenix Shaving Star Wisp 26mm(my lather monster)
Pre: RazoRock Pre Lime
Soap: Noble Otter Northern Elixir
After: Shower and moisturize with Supply Moisturizer.

Overall was a DFS and would give a 9.3/10.

View attachment 1679680

Also I said I would post some pics of what knocked me out in June's GRUME.

View attachment 1679688
View attachment 1679689
I'm not sure how old this Old Spice Pottery Mug is but I'm assuming the 40s.

Here's the black tip that I already paid for a Tune up on and have to send in to Razor Emporium.
View attachment 1679692

Hope you all have a great weekend with some great shaves!
Rubies are great blades. I meant to pick up 100, but alas I must have forgotten!

I don’t seem to need DE blades since I have over 100 and don’t seem to be using many.
I love how you suppress your emotions about blades with “seem”. You have one of the lowest blade counts for us GRUMErs while also holding (and daily improving!) the longevity record for single blade use!!

So: “I don’t need DE blades since I have over 100 and don’t use many.” seems to be more appropriate :cuppa:

Way to go on 320 LJ!!

Cheers,

Guido

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
High Efficiency July/Gentlemanly Restraint

Tonight’s opulent and stupendous shave
RazoRock JAWS 0.84 12/100
Shark Super Stainless (7)
Damp washcloth aka “shave binky”
AP ShaveCo Titanium UHD 28mm synthetic brush 86/100
Pre-shave: no
Lather: Canada Shaving Soap, bowl-loaded/face-lathered
Aftershave: Ulm Nom
Post-shave: body wash with shave binky
Post-shave: mentholated Equate moisturizer

I scraped less soap into the loading bowl for Canada Day. Accidentally added more water than I intended. At shave time, it looked like too much. Less than yesterday, but too much. Wet the end of my brush under the sink and swirled about half of the soap onto the brush and started face lathering.

Got the very wet, ultra-slick lather from a few shaves ago, but more of it. Squeezing the knot for extra slick, extra thin soap for touch ups was almost too easy.

Shallow, ATG strokes got me a shave that was mostly pleasant and comfortable. Upper lip could’ve been treated gentler. Live and possibly learn.

I love how you suppress your emotions about blades with “seem”. You have one of the lowest blade counts for us GRUMErs while also holding (and daily improving!) the longevity record for single blade use!!

So: “I don’t need DE blades since I have over 100 and don’t use many.” seems to be more appropriate :cuppa:

Way to go on 320 LJ!!

Cheers,

Guido
So you noticed my deliberate understatement? 😇

48 hours since last shave.

Razor: Timeless Ti .68 oc
Blade: Personna Lab Blue
Soap: Noble Otter Noir et Vanille
Brush: Muhle 21mm STF
Bowl: Timeless
Water: Hot

For the previous month I participated in High Efficiency June and exclusively used a Timeless Ti .95 sb. I always got at least a decent shave and only drew blood once, which was entirely my fault.

Yet, while there were no bad shaves, there were definitely some below average ones. Either stubble left over or it just wasn't as smooth as what I'm used to.

Tonight I returned to my regular razor and got a wonderful, smooth shave. It's amazing how much better the Timeless .68 oc is for me than the .95 sb. There isn't anything wrong with the .95, it's just not my ideal razor. A little too much blade feel I think.

lasta

Blade Biter
Still in. Although someone mentioned "Rubie" and my eyes lit up for a second.

Very close DFS+/BBS- shave with the Sentinel OC and Super Silver. Razor is a high gapped scraper and blade while still very sharp, is starting to feel rough on it's 5th shave.

Results are fine, but I would call this a below average shave.

1688276611358.png

Date
365 daily shaves
187/365
GRUME July
02/31
SOTMC
July break
Consistency Shaves
02/31
Blade Biter’s Archive02/32

RazorBladeBrush
Gillette Aristocrat #15Dorco Prime (4)Zenith 502B XSE
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Dutchy BergamotCold splash
Aftershave
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20 m)8/10 (neck weepers)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
8/10 (DFS+)10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to this shave:

Still in with zero temptations at the moment.

General - nice shave which could have been relaxed as well barring the neck ATG pass.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Still in

First shave of the month was also my last shave with LEA Classic shaving cream. Great product and maybe it will be replaced when I run out of soaps. And considering how long it takes to finish a soap, I would bet that it may be discontinued before I'm ready to buy another soap/cream 😄 Anyway, it's time to try something new next time.

brush: Stando amarnth wood G5A synthetic
razor: Tatara Muramasa
blade: KAI
cream: LEA Classic
aftershave: Angry Beard Hades
fragrance: Lalique Encre Noire Sport (sample)

2023-07-02 13.01.37.jpg

2023-07-02 13.02.07.jpg

Still in!
Seems my weak point is late at night, when I've pulled the trigger on most of the shave related items over the previous two months.
Last night, I was even looking at another load of Jykoryen sticks. :nono:
I managed to get a grip on myself.
Ended up doing a pre-bedtime shave with my Timeless Ti that arrived via UPS last night.

F6266A8F-C996-4B76-83B0-8F5F49FC3F6F.jpeg

lasta

Blade Biter
I just checked and the ink Rubies are basically non existent anymore(which is what I have). I can find laser ones. Are they the same do you know? I’m not going to buy until next first once I make this GRUME unless the SP rubie is going to cease to exist.
I haven't tried the old "plus" version, but having tried the new laser etched ones recently, they've gone straight to to "top shelf" list. Very sharp and very smooth!

I think Ivan posted somewhere that the new and old are identical.

As for Gillette blades ceasing to exist:

I bought my first 100 GSBs in 2014. Bought another 100 in 2015 when people started saying GSB's were going kaput. Bought another batch in 2018 when I was running low and another bunch said GSB's were going kaput. Bought another batch a few weeks ago when...you guessed it, rumors that some Gillettes were going kaput!

Top Bottom