What's new

Issue with Merkur Progress

I am having some issues adjusting my Progress... I find that on one side the blade is closer to the comb than on the other.

Is that typical? Is there any way to disassemble the Progress and reassemble and recalibrate this razor? TIA

This seems to be a common problem.
1.Make sure the marks ( triangle on the side of the head ,and hash mark on the blade cover are aligned).
2. There is still some play between the pins and blade, I set the blade in with the blade cover laying on the sink (threads facing up,then- even out the blade side to side and then insert the handle down over this and start to tighten the assembly. Some times takes a second try two get it right. I hope this helps.There are pictures of this some were on this forum

I tried as you suggested, but it is still slighlty off. I had tried to calibrate it so that the 1 and the dot aligned, but I dont think that could have effected the side to side alignment of the blade.

Could it possibly be the blades - I am using Lords and I do not feel as if they are the best quality... Maybe it is time to give s fat boy or vision/futur a try.

Mine seemed a bit out at one point. What I found is that when it's open at around 5 put both your thumbs on the underside and firmly push the top down against the spring with your two fingers and let it spring back up, try this a couple of times this may realign it and then reset your adjustment for shaving.

Hi;

All said, there are just some quality issues with several razors that come from Merkur. Over the years, there have been the same issues of unequal blade gap on Visions and Futurs and blade alignment problems on slants. You may just have one that is out of line and not much can be done about it. Sometimes these problems really affect a shave and sometimes not, it's a personal issue as well as how much the blade is out of position. Most times the vendor will swap out the razor if the problem is really noticeable.

BobS

I have read about this before. Mine works fine with Crystals. I think it is possible that blade tolerances from one manufacturer to another might create different sized cutouts in the blade. If you look at the cap there are two pins on it that are used to locate the blade. As you set the cap on the counter with the threaded rod skyward, and drop a blade in you can see how they align the blade. If the tolerance between the pins and the cut out in the blade are too large the blade could move to one side or the other and give you uneven exposure. One solution might be to assemble the razor and tighten it till it just begins to grip the blade. That is to say that it holds the blade loosely. Then grasping the ends of the blade (i.e. the dull parts that stick out the end of the razor) between the thumb and index finger, attempt to position the blade for equal reveal. Then tighten it fully and back it off for your desired adjustment. To be clear, do not grasp the cutting edges of the blade. If that does not work, then you have manufacturing defect.

V

VR6ofpain

I am having some issues adjusting my Progress... I find that on one side the blade is closer to the comb than on the other.

Is that typical? Is there any way to disassemble the Progress and reassemble and recalibrate this razor? TIA
Yes it is typical from what I have read. Mine has the same problem. I actually use it to my advantage, since it acts like an adjustable without needing to adjust on the fly.

I have read about this before. Mine works fine with Crystals. I think it is possible that blade tolerances from one manufacturer to another might create different sized cutouts in the blade. If you look at the cap there are two pins on it that are used to locate the blade. As you set the cap on the counter with the threaded rod skyward, and drop a blade in you can see how they align the blade. If the tolerance between the pins and the cut out in the blade are too large the blade could move to one side or the other and give you uneven exposure. One solution might be to assemble the razor and tighten it till it just begins to grip the blade. That is to say that it holds the blade loosely. Then grasping the ends of the blade (i.e. the dull parts that stick out the end of the razor) between the thumb and index finger, attempt to position the blade for equal reveal. Then tighten it fully and back it off for your desired adjustment. To be clear, do not grasp the cutting edges of the blade. If that does not work, then you have manufacturing defect.

That's exactly what I do. Very well described.

I am new to Safety Razors so bear with me if my terminology isn't precise nor is my grammar I will try to explain it best as I can. I just got this razor & noticed the same thing with mine. The blade seems to unequally angled on both sides of the top piece when looking down from the top when it is fully screwed in. I looked at it a few more times & I realized that it looks the top piece was not cut perfectly making it look like the blade is off centered. This imperfection would most likely be manufacturing defect. It seems that it shouldn't matter since the blade appears to be equally close on both sides of the side bar. This could be for another post but the mark on the top piece above the triangle of mine is not perfect centered it's slightly off center to the right. I figure it makes no difference since I think of a real reason why the put the mark & the triangle there in the first place. The only thing I came up with is if you weren't to bright as to noticed that you put the top piece on sideways it gave you a map to follow.

... Maybe it is time to give s fat boy or vision/futur a try.

The Slim/Fatboy/Futur would be great choices for a new razor. The Vision has quality control problems 100X worst than those of your Progress. Do some research on it, that razor is a total piece of junk, along with being huge, and unwieldy.

Top Bottom