What's new

Is my Feather Artist Club SS Defected/Used?

Hello,

This is my first post as well as the first time I dive in to the straight razor world coming from gilette disposables. I have ordered a Feather Artist Club SS shavette from a reputable vendor and upon unboxing it, it seems like it has been used previously as the coating seems to be rubbed off at some contact points.

Additionally, when looking at the assembled unit from an angle, it seems like the side plate is higher than the main body, running my finger from main body to the side plate produces a snag while doing the opposite doesn't. I have attached photos please let me know what you think!

Attachments

• FACSS.png
    FACSS.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 76
  • FACSS2.png
    FACSS2.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 76
Here's another thing I found. Would you reach out the vendor for an exchange if you were me?

Attachments

• FACSS3.png
    FACSS3.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 47

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have only owned one Feather AC razor, an AC DX with wooden scales. There are zero imperfections, the quality of manufacture is superb, and it looks exactly the same now as when I purchased it. I would expect the same from any other Feather AC razor but as I say my experience with them is limited. If you are not happy then I would return it, a reputable supplier should offer you a replacement. Welcome to B&B.

I suspect that the issues noted will have little or no effect on its use. However, if you aren't happy with it contact the vendor for an exchange. I have a Feather AC with plastic scales and I'm unable to detect any imperfections, and it's 7 years old.

Would you reach out the vendor for an exchange if you were me?

No, I wouldn’t.

As I used to travel extensively and usually took Feather ACs with me, I ended up with more than one Feather AC DX, with more than one Feather AC SS, and more recently with a single Feather SR. So I have a few Feather ACs to compare yours with.

Looking at your images, I do not see any indication of manufacturing defects or previous use.
Functionality is certainly not affected and I am unable to identify any blemishes that in my eyes would justify a return.
Also keep in mind that if you insisted on an exchange or refund, you might find similar minuscule “deficiences” on the next razor you buy.

No offence intended, but when someone gets a new “toy” and scrutinises it too much, there is sometimes a risk that he might get a bit too fussy and too finicky.

Rest at ease, I see nothing on that razor that would diminish its value.

B.

Last edited:
I cannot see the issue with one side plate being higher, having that one photo does not show enough for me to have any opinion on your razor. Keep in mind that the leaf spring on the fixed half of the blade holder will cause the one flexible half to raise and lower to accommodate thicker or thinner blades, so their would be some variability in thickness and how the halves meet each other because of that. And the two faces slide together on pins so there might be some variability in how the split halves are loaded and pressed together in that slot.

The two halves will have some slight wear or polish on the inside surface as they are assembled, disassembled, blades loaded, etc. I have seen that on mine. That is the main friction point on the razor, where there is sliding metal on metal.

The third picture appears to have some very small cosmetic issue. I don't think I would return it because of that, but I also might not be happy depending on how much was paid. I believe the SS is manufactured through a sintering process and that small pit looks to be a side effect of that (just my speculation). But after some usage, soap stains, etc, I think that will be forgotten as it looks quite small at life size.

Top Bottom