What's new

I'm Really Slow on the Uptake!!

So, many thanks to Badger and Blade for allowing me to talk about my Gillette Adjustable Reference website here. It is sincerely appreciated and although the website isn't super polished, I am hoping that it is of benefit to the members. It doesn't look the greatest, but I do try to have good information there. As always it is an advertising free non-profit service I am going to provide to razor enthusiasts. Also, I do get about 300 unique users per day and growing.

Ok, why am I slow on the uptake? I have been managing the reference site for about a year and a half and I have been missing a giant opportunity. I just realized that if I also chronicled the sales of as they occur on some of the rarer adjustables, that this information would be very valuable to the readers!

Even though it will be more maintenance work for me, the sales only come by on the rare ones a couple or few times a month. I'm on eBay all the time anyway. I should be recording these sale nuggets too! :a6:

So I just added info on a Serial Toggle sale, a chrome toggle sale and three bottom dial sales. Also, thanks for the contributions some of the B&B members have made by sending photos and info about some of the weird and anomalous razors Gillette has made and let slip past QC into the field. Very cool. Thanks a million to B&B for being so open minded and allowing the facilitation of communication between all of us razor enthusiasts. Please remember to contribute to B&B and don't let your subscription lapse either.

Thank you for taking the time to gather and preserve the information for everyone to use. Without people like you who take the time do this a large part of the history of shaving could be lost and forgotten.

Thank you for taking the time to gather and preserve the information for everyone to use. Without people like you who take the time do this a large part of the history of shaving could be lost and forgotten.
You are too kind sir. It is a labor of love.

So with some research on my part I was able to get a lot of old photos and prices and dates and put them on the site :)

It turns out, the information is out there just not all organized in one convenient place. I knew what I was looking for too.

So far this month, I am getting 420 unique visitors per day to the site. Coming up on the first page in Google for search terms "Gillette Fatboy" and "Gillette Slim" doesn't hurt either.

Hi,

Yes, that is a very good, no make that great, idea! :)

Stan
Thanks Stan... The site will be updated maybe a couple of times a week now based on new pricing info that comes out. Any one considering collecting or investing in the nicer Gillette Adjustables now has an additional resource. I think eBay deletes sale data after about 3 months or so. This will allow people longer "memories" especially on the razors that don't come up for sale that often. I'm stoked about my new project. :)

Weirdly enough, I've seen some links to ebay auctions work after 6 years (Just saw one from 2011!), and others from last year have been removed. Your resource should help a _lot_.

Weirdly enough, I've seen some links to ebay auctions work after 6 years (Just saw one from 2011!), and others from last year have been removed. Your resource should help a _lot_.

You are in part right. The link to the listing remains for the most part active although they don't save the photos. What I am talking about is the "completed" and "sold" listings when you search for for example "gillette bottom dial razor" and then on the left check box "sold" listings - that way of getting at the info goes away pretty rapidly (a few months). If I wanted to make a graph of bottom dial prices over the last ten years of eBay listings, the eBay interface doesn't provide that mechanism. (Correct me if I am wrong guys, but that is how it works I am pretty sure)

Also, quality of the razor and completeness of the set dramatically effects sale price. So in addition to providing a price I am going to show a photo(s) of the razor giving an indication of condition and completeness. I pondered adding my own comments to assist the novice user seeing my info but unable to interpret it, but I decided against that. I'll let the prices and photos I choose speak for themselves. Hopefully the newbies to can figure it out. (I may add a page explaining how to use the "Recent Sales" info).

Top Bottom