What's new

I want to try a SE...where do I start

I guess the only thing I have not tried in wetshaving has been a SE razor. I would like to try a SE, but I am not too sure where to start.

Do SE razors vary in agressiveness?

Do SE razors vary in agressiveness?

Yes they do, and by quite a bit. Probably the best model to get started with, is the Gem 1912. It's fairly mild.

On the other end of the Aggression scale, is the Open Comb Micromatic which will bit you frequently if not handled with care. :thumbup1:

Also in the range of fairly mild is the Gem G Bar.

Be aware, that Singe Edge razors can also include Schick Injectors, of which there are many models to choose from, and they also very in aggressiveness.

My recommendation would be to try a bullet end Micromatic as your first SE razor. I have one and also an open comb Micromatic and an Ever-Ready 1912. I find the it's easier to get the proper angle with the longer handle of the Micromatic than the shorter handle of the 1912.

There are some nice pictures of one in [thread=108378]this thread[/thread].

The G-Bar is a fantastic razor if you want a mild one. That little lip at the end of the handle makes holding it and maneuvering it upside down a breeze. Best handling SE razor imho, but way too mild for me. The open comb micromatic is more aggressive, but as long as you drive carefully and use a light touch, there is no more to fear from it than any other aggressive razor.

Gem 1912 best starter SE Razor in my opinion. My Friend Eric sent me gift star 1912 and my SE shave life started 2 months ago. now im very happy with this razor and with Ted pella GEM SE blades. One Gem Se blade last me one week .. maybe it will go more but im changing.. Always very close and smooth shave with them..
My second choice Featherweight.
Third Micromatic.
Also Recently i received gift from Eric near mint condition schick injector M series but its shave not like SE Star 1912 and GEM blade combination..

SE shave always my favorite ...

I've been playing with my SEs recently, after a bit of a hiatus.

I have an open-comb micromatic, which I think is one of the more aggressive razors out there. It gives a good shave, but is not a great choice for a first GEM-style razor, as it will bite.

I have an Ever-Ready lather catcher, which is a good shaver, but my favourite is the humble Featherweight, cheap as all get out, perfect aggressiveness for me and really an easy razor to manipulate due to the shape of the handle.

I use the Pella blades, which I think are sharp as heck and shave better after the first shave or two.

Lots of folks say the GEM-style razors are hard to use/get used to, but I think that's a bit of a bum rap, as if you take some time to read some posts, look at the instructions that folks have posted pictures, use decent blades (not the blades you find in the hardware store for cutting carpet!) and take some time to figure out the mechanics of shaving with one of these puppies, you'll be rewarded with great shaves. In my view, the shave I get from my GEM-style razors rivals that I can get with a straight.

Top Bottom