What's new

I have moose antler... now what?

So I have a nice chunk of moose antler that I'm hoping to make some scales with, but am unsure as to how I should proceed. I can take some pics tonight or possibly at lunch, but there is plenty of real estate to get scales out of it.

What I'm wondering about is do I sand it all down and lose the bark on the outside? It's fairly thick, should I cut a piece out, get it flat on both sides and then rip it into the two halves of the scales? Would I bugger up all the structural integrity of the material doing this?

The palms of the rack will be real porous and maybe not of use.
The portion from the Boss part way up is far more dense.
You can make a great Belt buckle out of the boss button itself.have fun.

Just saw, grind & sand away everything that doesn't look like scales :w00t:

That's more or less what I was planning on doing, was just curious if there was anything I should be aware of. I'm guessing aside from what spindlecone said, not really.

That's more or less what I was planning on doing, was just curious if there was anything I should be aware of. I'm guessing aside from what spindlecone said, not really.
Just go for it & please let us know how they turn out!

First... you are really not going to like the smell. I mean, really not like the smell as you work it.

Now... if you are intent on using it. Two options. Have as much bark showing as you can. Second: Remove all the bark and just use the antler core.

Both methods require the use of a band saw. Cut lengths around 8 inches that have the least amount of curvature to them. You won't be able to straighten them with heat like horn. The extra length will be used to ensure the best 6-inch section of antler. Once you have a length, cut widths of 1.5 inches. After that, draw a line with a sharpie along the length and slice them a bit thicker than 1/8. If you don't want the bark, slice the outside first, sand flat, and then use a rip fence to slab at 1/8th. Then sand the cut side flat, which will leave a little less than 1/8th. (the aim is less than 1/8th) Once that is done, draw the profile of the scale design and cut it out... proceed as usual.

Wear a mask. You may want to keep a barf bag handy, as well.

Glad I haven't had time to get into yet as your information is good to know before I get going.

This might be an outside project. haha. Thanks Bill, and everyone else.

Moose antler smells like a combination of burning hair and getting your teeth drilled out for fillings when you work with it. Luckily the odor does not remain when finished.

Moose antler smells like a combination of burning hair and getting your teeth drilled out for fillings when you work with it. Luckily the odor does not remain when finished.
I've never used it for scales, but moose is common over here & many guys hunt moose & collect the antler as well, so I have smelled it being worked way to many times.
Honestly, I'd rather take the smell inside a morgue any day of the week.

Top Bottom