What's new

How to use Filly strop CrOx side

I have a filly strop from RR. I like it a lot and have accordingly put a few little nicks in it, but nothing too bad. I'm not sure if my stropping technique is good or bad, but I'm concerned about having possibly already dulled the great edge that came on my razor.

My filly strop is pasted a little with CrOx on the rough side. Question is how do I use that side? Do I just strop the same way I would on the smooth side, leading with the spine? Wouldn't that dull the edge in the places where it's not pasted? I can't imagine how leading with the edge would work either...

Thanks in advance!

Don't lead with the edge or you'll slice your strop. You just strop on the pasted side the way you would normally strop. The CrOx will get spread over the surface more as you strop. It doesn't have to cover the entire surface, just a pattern that will eventually contact all of the blade edge in a lap.

The rough side of the strop won't dull your blade edge if you're stropping properly. It just doesn't refine the blade edge like a finish side does.
The pasted side will have more draw than the finished side, so be careful not to roll your edge.
Also wipe the blade after you're done on the rough side and before you go to the finished side so that you don't transfer any CrOx residue to that side.

I suggest you look for the little paper which RR included with your strop. I have the Filly, too. Ken includes a short item about how to use the rough side.

Don't lead with the edge or you'll slice your strop. You just strop on the pasted side the way you would normally strop. The CrOx will get spread over the surface more as you strop. It doesn't have to cover the entire surface, just a pattern that will eventually contact all of the blade edge in a lap.

The rough side of the strop won't dull your blade edge if you're stropping properly. It just doesn't refine the blade edge like a finish side does.
The pasted side will have more draw than the finished side, so be careful not to roll your edge.
Also wipe the blade after you're done on the rough side and before you go to the finished side so that you don't transfer any CrOx residue to that side.

I suggest you look for the little paper which RR included with your strop. I have the Filly, too. Ken includes a short item about how to use the rough side.
And there you have it!

Top Bottom