What's new

How Tight

I have several handles I plan on re-knoting. Just how tight does one want the knot to fit into the handle. If the opening is 23 mm would a 21 fit, or would you select a 23? This may sound like a silly question but is there a rule of thumb for knot size verse hole size?
Thanks

Good question - glad I didn't order my knot yet. If my opening is 20mm are you saying I should order an 18mm knot? I couldn't find this info on the golden nib web site and appreciate the help :smile:

If you are sure your measurements are accurate and taken from the inside of the rim to inside of the rim (the rim will add a couple of mm), and you order a knot that says 20mm It will probably fit. Or may be off just so that sanding the knot will allow it to fit. But as knots flare out past the glue, and should fill the hole easily, if you want to be sure of a fit without any mods go a couple mm smaller.

Some knots have a variance in their size so read very carefully and take good measurements and you will be fine if you want to get the largest knot possible. I will not try buy a knot that is exactly at the hole diameter without investing in a good set of calipers.

Last edited:
Good question - glad I didn't order my knot yet. If my opening is 20mm are you saying I should order an 18mm knot? I couldn't find this info on the golden nib web site and appreciate the help :smile:

I'm not sure exactly where I saw it on their site but I know I found it after I bought my first knot.:eek:

Top Bottom