What's new

How much is acceptable?

Return to sender...
Or has many have stated, notify Rockwell. Lots of fans are here but for me the head is thick, clunky & funky. But again, that is me..lots of people love the C's & Ss. I just perfer and low profile head.
BFX
Good luck and tell us what they say. There customer service is noted to be top knotch..

@jeffshead , See the thread linked below. Others reported alignment issues with Rockwell razors.

Regarding whether or not it's acceptable to have to adjust blade alignment it depends on how the razor is marketed/sold. If, as for most premium razors, it's sold on the basis of tight tolerances with instructions that only tell you to pop the blade (like the Rockwell instructions) in then having to adjust for this is unacceptable.

In the case of my Weishi Long Handle I'm perfectly fine with taking 15-20 seconds to check and sometimes adjust the alignment before tightening down the TTO mechanism. This razor is not sold on the basis of tight tolerances and the instructions recommend a blade alignment check. Of course this is a high value razor sold for under $15 so I'm happy to take this step and then realize the excellent shaves delivered by this razor.

The first fully-machined razor I tried was the RazoRock Lupo Al (being aluminum, it's easy to machine, and relatively inexpensive). It's a nice razor -- mild-to-moderate with a Feather blade.

. . . The blade exposure is even, with no slop at all.

i just got machined razor #2 -- a Pearl Flexi adjustable, chrome-plated brass. Early models had quality-control problems, but the recent batches are getting good reports. I can't see or feel any play in the blade, and the exposure is even on both edges.

So my advice is the same as most other people's:

. . . If you want tight tolerances, get a fully-machined razor. Stainless steel is nice, brass and aluminum also work.

RazoRock seems to have the least-expensive line -- Game Changer / Lupo / etc. Your Rockwell should be fine, when you get it replaced.

My keyword searches did not turn up anything so I created this thread.

I've always used disposable razors. Just received my first DE; a Rockwell 6S. How much slop (play) should I see? Is it normal to have a different gap on each side with all DE razors?

View attachment 1786697
View attachment 1786698

I can maneuver the blade some so both sides are just about equal but I'm not looking to make shaving a hobby.
that looks like a FATIP (problem).....or some old razors......

I've only checked the blade alignment on one of my razors: a Pearl Flexi...and only because those have a well documented history of alignment issues. My first was bad, and exhibited the same issue as the OP's razor.

I sent it back and got a good one.

All to say: if any of my current razors (vintage or modern) are misaligned, I haven't a clue, as I have not closely inspected any of them.

Going to give the RazoRock GC a try. I'll post a comparison when I receive it.

I've owned several, currently a 68P and 76P and could easily get by with either one. RR makes solid razors at an incredible price.

...and if your goal is to save money, I was going to recommend the same thing @Quaznoid suggested:

A nice Tech and some $10 blades, like Astra. I just bought some of the current Indian Astra SP blades from Amazon, and they shave just as well as the old Russian blades.

Welcome to the show, and good luck. 🙂👍

Like the other guys I wouldn't accept any slop. If you like disposables then take a look at the Leaf Twig. It's like using a single blade disposable except it's metal and you replace the blades. It uses half of a DE blade that you snap in half.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I do not recommend Rockwell. They have too often this or that quality issue. Return it and get something else.

Even if you get by luck of the draw a perfect 6S, it is a 6 shades of mild razor, maybe you want that, but you can get so much more for less in better machined and often even polished stainless steel from Razorock or Chinese makers. The whole forum is full of recommendations.

(Every Rockwell owner who loves their razor dearly can now come out of the woodwork and defend this amazing piece of craftsmanship.)

I don't want to be cheeky, but we had a thread starting like that:

Rockwell 6S in Blue - Quality Razor for Face and Head Shaving​

Initial thoughts:

The 6S gave what is easily one of the best shaves I've ever had in over 30 years. A beautiful razor that is perfectly balanced, as all things should be. :thumbup1:

See how it ended:

I sent this picture to them and told them that I was done with them and that while I would keep the latest 6S that they sent me, I would return everything else and never purchase from them again. I eventually was emailed a return label and sent everything else back to them.

Here on B&B people are not getting rickrolled but rockwelled.

Last edited:
I’m sorry to say this but your pictures don’t seem to be in a correct angle to measure those parameters.

Both seem to be off center and that plays a huge factor both in your naked eyes and even more so in a photo. Even lighting can be tricky.

If you’ve analyzed the razor and those differences are indeed there, that’s unquestionable. Return it.

But I truly can’t be 100% sure by the angle those pictures were taken. And those virtual red lines are far away from precision.

I hope you can figure this out.

Keep us updated.

There needs to be some dimensional tolerances to allow for variations in manufactured parts, otherwise, people would complain the blade is binding on the posts, etc. However, for a modern CNC machined razor, tolerances should be very tight so you would not expect a noticeable difference from one side to the other.

Gillette had this alignment issue figured out by the 1930s-1940s with designs such as the New and the Tech. @Quaznoid has some good points there, and the Personna Lab Blue blades are a good everyday type of blade, also.

My keyword searches did not turn up anything so I created this thread.

I've always used disposable razors. Just received my first DE; a Rockwell 6S. How much slop (play) should I see? Is it normal to have a different gap on each side with all DE razors?

View attachment 1786697
View attachment 1786698

I can maneuver the blade some so both sides are just about equal but I'm not looking to make shaving a hobby.

Rockwell 6S is molded I believe, if you want precision fit, you're gonna have to look at CNC Milled razors.

Rockwell 6S is molded I believe, if you want precision fit, you're gonna have to look at CNC Milled razors.

Powdered metal is used to make precision small parts for industries such as medical equipment and aerospace. It is a precision process that meets or exceeds the requirements for a safety razor.

However, all manufactured things can have a small percentage of defects. The usual thing to do if you get a defect is just to exchange for a non-defective item.

@jeffshead There is a method for aligning the blade of this razor, you can always try it and see if it works :thumbup1:

Sounds like this could be a manufacturing error. Both myself and my wife have a 6S and there is no blade play and no alignment issues. I drop the blade in and tighten the handle. Done.

What do you mean, the days of inexpensive but good Astra SPs are a thing of rhe past???

They are readily available in many places at great prices and they are good blades.

Top Bottom