What's new

How many razors and brushes do you have and why?

Since I came across @Balin my brushes behave like mushrooms…

I am scared to open the cabinet each morning wondering what happened overnight…
I have been avoiding these threads as I do not want to disclose my numbers 🤣. I have more brushes and razors than most but less than some 😁.

Brushes
Badgers - 31
Boars - 6
Mixed Badger and Boar - 2
Horse - 1
Synthetics - 1

Razors
DE - 39
SE - 4

Edited to add, I have 23 brushes and 4 razors in active rotation.

I have three razors but only use two regularly (a Schick Krona and a Gillette Black Handle SuperSpeed that is both birth year and birth quarter). The other razor is the first DE razor I ever bought and used - a Maggard MR1 - that I can't bear to part with, and have used a couple times recently.

I also have three brushes but only one gets used regularly, a no-name synthetic on a vintage handle. I also have a B&B boar brush from when that was a thing, and an Omega S-brush for travel.

Hi,

Well, firstly, I inherited some stuff:

The Old Type was my Grandfather's. The rest was my Dad's.

Then, I found B&B. And so some other razors:

These are all open combs used during Open Comb OCtober. The Schick repeater is my ground travel razor. The Old Type is the same as in the other pic.

And, then Slant razors. Again, the fault of B&B here.

Both Fasan DoubleSlants and my daily driver is the one with the metal top cap. The other is a spare. I did change the handles.

Brushes:

So, there is one brush with the heirloom razors. That was the one Dad used. The other Rubberset seen here is one he gave me when I began shaving in 1976. Then there is a I Don't Recall What with the green handle I bought about 1980. Then the Vie Long horsehair I bought just as 2013 came to an end.

This is the daily setup. Grandpa's Old Type, my Fasan, and my wife's Lady Gillette. And a new RV brush I bought in 2023. You can see the setup Dad was using when he passed over to the right.

So, not many by comparison to many other folks. And, no desire to add to these.

The two Old Spice mugs shown with the heirloom razors are ones my Dad still had when he passed. That's still OS soap in those. The other OS mug in the last pic contains soap of my own doing. Half is vintage Oster tallow and the other half is modern Carden Farms glycerine.

Stan

I’ve got 7 brushes and 7 razors. I have that many because I was initially seeking the perfect shave. I now know there’s really no such thing. I like the variety and not sure I’d own more than 7 at any time. I plan to swap out if I’d like more.

How about you?

Here’s my 7 of each

View attachment 1812038

View attachment 1812039
Casswell-Massey is good stuff! Have you tried their shave cream? I like it; not that I have a ton to compare as a Newb to WS but CM has been around forever in the USA. Nice collection btw, I like that razor holder it looks like it could fit in a sink drawer.

I have a 1948 Gillette Super Speed, a 1967 Gillette Adjustable TTO Slim, a Rockwell 6c, a Yates 'Merica, a Military Spec Tech, and a Fat Tip Grande, aka EL Grande. On the brush front, I have 3 synthetics, 5 Badger, and 5 Boars. I intend to add some more DE razors. I also have many straights, 5 in shave condition and 20+ in various states of disrepair. I'm glad you didn't ask about soaps.

I will start off saying its was a sickness. Now I just don't know what to do about it...

99 brushes
209 Straight Razors
3 Shavettes
4 Kamasori
109 DE
DE Blades under 1000.
35 Injectors
32 SE
Soaps would be around the 50 mark.

And a box full of pieces and parts that I could put together a couple dozen more razors of various types.

Its almost a bad habit.
ALMOST!

I will start off saying its was a sickness. Now I just don't know what to do about it...

99 brushes
209 Straight Razors
3 Shavettes
4 Kamasori
109 DE
DE Blades under 1000.
35 Injectors
32 SE
Soaps would be around the 50 mark.

And a box full of pieces and parts that I could put together a couple dozen more razors of various types.

Its almost a bad habit.
ALMOST!
Mobile Game Dance GIF by Official PUBG MOBILE

6 razors- duplicates don’t count
2 brushes
2 soaps
2 creams

I am fascinated by shiny sharp objects. Always have been, always will be. I quit trying to fight it, I just control it. I had a pocket knife at 8 and a fixed blade at 10.

If you look at some of the vintage and now some of the high end safety razors, they are mini works of art. I sold into manufacturing and find it amazing that Gillette and other razor makers had the skill and determination to develop and design the earliest razors. As a testament to their dedication we are still using them today.

Compared to the thousands of dollars that could be spent on boating, golf, guns or cycling this is relatively inexpensive.

I have 3 brushes (2 badger, 1 Boar). All are used in daily rotation.

I have around a dozen razors. Of which I only use 3-4. I need to go through them and sell/PIF. I like to try new razors from time to time and see what's out there.

Top Bottom