What's new

How many razors and brushes do you have and why?

I’ve got 7 brushes and 7 razors. I have that many because I was initially seeking the perfect shave. I now know there’s really no such thing. I like the variety and not sure I’d own more than 7 at any time. I plan to swap out if I’d like more.

How about you?

Here’s my 7 of each

IMG_1120.jpeg

IMG_1121.jpeg

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I only use one razor at a time - for months on end. I started with a fairly cheap razor and it did a fine job. Then I wanted a vintage, so I added a Slim. After a while I read too many great reviews here and climbed the upgrade ladder. Each razor was better than the last, so I was pretty satisfied with my lot in life. I think I only own about 9, but if I'm home I use the Wolfman, and if I'm traveling it's the ATT.

Brushes are another story. I think I have 9 synthetic brushes. The first one was a beast with a huge clear plastic handle and the tallest knot I've seen. I can throw lather from my house to yours with this thing. I knew they would get better, so my search for a great synthetic continued. A tiny Kent and a small handful of sub $15 brushes came next. They were great brushes for the price, but they most definitely were not great brushes. Then came the EVO, which was a very nice brush, but too much backbone for my liking. So, of course, I got an STF - a very nice brush with just a little less backbone than I like. Then came the Wald, which is a great synthetic brush and in my top 6.

I essentially did the same thing with boar and badger brushes: the existential search for the brush with the near-perfect size, backbone and softness of tips. I have about 20 brushes but use only 6 - most days one of 5.

Do I recommend this procedure for finding brush happiness? Only if you really want near-perfect choices. What I would recommend is trying to find happiness with whatever brush you already have. I don't practice what I preach, but I still think it's a worthy goal.

1 razor - Yates 'Merica) and
2 brushes - Perfecto badger and a Yaqi synthetic.

Took a while but I found the razor that consistently works best for my face so I see no need to own anything else at this time. Same with the brushes, I started with the badger and then wanted to try a synthetic and both of them get the job done without breaking the bank. Since I generally use a brush and soap on the weekends (Barbasol during the work week), it wouldn't make sense to have a collection of items that will just sit in a drawer and get used maybe once a year.

Here’s what I’ve picked up in nearly two years of patrolling antique shops and malls, and flea markets. This includes gifts from friends. There are even a few that aren’t pictured. Some are bent, what I’d call unusable and in need of a rebuild. I guess they’re on “active reserve.”

Lately I’ve concentrated on trying out the three piece NEW’s and Tech’s, and I’m liking them a lot. I only have to shave every three to four days, so it's going to take a while.

I’m not currently in the market for any more, but if I cross paths with another stray Fatboy I might take it in, too. :biggrin1:

IMG_5496.jpeg
take

Last edited:
Since I came across @Balin my brushes behave like mushrooms…

I am scared to open the cabinet each morning wondering what happened overnight…
I have been avoiding these threads as I do not want to disclose my numbers 🤣. I have more brushes and razors than most but less than some 😁.

Brushes
Badgers - 31
Boars - 6
Mixed Badger and Boar - 2
Horse - 1
Synthetics - 1

Razors
DE - 39
SE - 4

Edited to add, I have 23 brushes and 4 razors in active rotation.

I currently have 1 DE, 1 SE, 3 carts, and 4 brushes. But I never kept a running count of the ones I've been through since day one. None of them were held onto since one would always finance another, and I never thought to take photos or catalog them. Best guess is around 30 brushes and an equivalent number of razors. Around here that may be average?

But I have kept a count of my stereo gear over the years (go figure), and it puts the shaving kit to shame.

Respect for your ability to deal with RRA (Razor Rotation Anxiety) in this way! 39 in total yet you use 4. I would go nuts over these numbers. Truly respect. I am much less determined.
I pretty much only use my 3 of my modern razors and I throw a Tech in every now and then. Most of my vintage razors were inexpensive so I do not feel much anxiety to have them stored away in a drawer. I do get some brush rotation anxiety though 🤣.

I have what I have because I like collecting different items, using them and the variety. Just did a quick count and got to 35 brushes, more soap than brushes, around a dozen straights, at least 55 DE and a dozen SE. Most of what I have is Vintage with a few new/newer items mixed in. I am currently working my way through all of my razors, a blade at a time. May downsize someday, but no rush.

Right now I have 12 razors and 4 brushes. I’m still new to the hobby so I have bought a few to see what I like. 4 of them I just came on the mail but I won’t see them until Sunday, I’m on a mini vacation with my wife and my youngest son.

The other reason is 3 of them are my birth year 1972 Gillettes. 4 are Gillette adjustable, 58 fatboy, 63 Slim Aristocrat, 62 Slim and one of the 72’s is a super 84. The reason the 58, 63 and 62… I wanted them! The others are a Parker 111W because I like the white handle, a 54 flare, a Henson ++ blue because I liked the blue, and a 49 and 61 super speed because they came with the 62 slim and I have my first from the Viking revolution kit that was gifted to me at Christmas.

Brushes I have 4. The Vikings revolution that came with my kit that broke 2 weeks after I had it when I dropped it, so I replaced it with a Vikings revolution, I did not like the way it lathered, yes i know I’m new and what do I know… not much for sure, but I know it hurt when i used it. I then bought a Razor Emporium synthetic and I really like that one, but I also just bought a Simpson T1 because I really liked the small foot print.

But I plan on buying more, but not right now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom