What's new

How do you figure out what JNat to get?

This is my Jnat. Bought for $70 from Chef Knives awhile back. I get very good results raising slurry using a DMT 600 grit card. Is this stone considered a finisher? Will buying a set of nagura stones help improve the edges? $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392398901.292555.jpg

If you got great results with the dmt, then I would bet it is a finisher definitely. They all are pretty much. A nagura set would refine the edge more from bevel to finish. BUT if your getting good results with dmt slurry, then a tomo may be what you need. A tomo is a stone(not a chalky nagura stone) that will raise a slurry on the stone you have with a little bit of both in the mix. Kiita(orange/yellow) tomos work well for my asagi stones although not all of them work on every stone. Tomos can be had in JNS and aframestokyo among other places.

If you got great results with the dmt, then I would bet it is a finisher definitely. They all are pretty much. A nagura set would refine the edge more from bevel to finish. BUT if your getting good results with dmt slurry, then a tomo may be what you need. A tomo is a stone(not a chalky nagura stone) that will raise a slurry on the stone you have with a little bit of both in the mix. Kiita(orange/yellow) tomos work well for my asagi stones although not all of them work on every stone. Tomos can be had in JNS and aframestokyo among other places.

Thanks! I'm going through HAD again and looking for an excuse.

Funds raised. I decided to go with a oozuku from fendrihan. Similar price as the shobudani 100 but shipping was free with a $75 order so I added on a pair of tweezers for my wife. Shipping from jns would have been $35 (and no tweezers!). Should arrive in a week or so. Both the oozuku from fendrihan and the shobudani 100 from jns have a bigger honing surface than anything on Alex's site at present, at least in a similar price range. Cktg only has the jyunsyouhonayama small size and as no one here has any significant experience with it, I went with the oozuku.

I have been looking at these ozoku for a while, please let us know how you like it!

Funds raised. I decided to go with a oozuku from fendrihan. Similar price as the shobudani 100 but shipping was free with a $75 order so I added on a pair of tweezers for my wife. Shipping from jns would have been $35 (and no tweezers!). Should arrive in a week or so. Both the oozuku from fendrihan and the shobudani 100 from jns have a bigger honing surface than anything on Alex's site at present, at least in a similar price range. Cktg only has the jyunsyouhonayama small size and as no one here has any significant experience with it, I went with the oozuku.

I have been looking at these ozoku for a while, please let us know how you like it!

I have one as well. It's a nice razor sized stone. I wouldn't want to do knives or anything else on it as it's thin and uneven on the bottom. I think they're probably around level 4 for hardness but I've put wonderful edges on razors with it.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I have a CKTG Ozuku and it's a great hone though hard, the easiest way to use it is with a diamond plate. I'm using a worn 2x3 Atoma 1200 I also got from them. If you use a tomo nagura, one that is as hard as the hone, you will be rubbing a while to get a slurry.

The Junsunhonyama small size I also have but would not consider it a final razor finisher.

Cheers, Steve

Thanks! I'm going through HAD again and looking for an excuse.

Attachments

• $Ozuku-1.jpg
    $Ozuku-1.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

I have one too... Good stone... Can produce very sharp edges...

I also picked up a wakasa for a decent price... The jury is still out, but it works well but scratches easily

Edit: test shave 1.. Very sharp... A little harsher than the edge doc226 put on my other ralf aust, but bbs and irritation was gone very shortly after the shave... Gonna dilute the tomo less, maybe even finish on Koma but I expect very good things out of this wakasa

Last edited:
The amazing thing about them is they all work. Slight adjustments here and there but they work.

So I guess the question is... And I think asked before... Why buy a 500 dollar stone when a 150 dollar stone will do the same thing... Looks?. Collectibility? I understand dimensions add to value but beyond that? The wakasa I have is a fat stone and very tall and a nakayama costs 5 times the cost for the same size

Your right bout that. Although its more of want than need. A $4 GD can certainly shave your face clean and comfortably, but yet we buy all kinds of expensive razors. Im not saying not to, but thats what makes life interesting. I have 12 Jnats, and just ordered 2 more. I like the subtle differences with all of them, but in the end, you can get a very close edge with a hard smooth one, or a softer coarser stone after a few attempts if you vary your honing technique a bit.

I just ordered an Oozuko from Fendrihan as well. Seemed like a good price. I want to compare the edges from the jnat to the edges I get from film.

I'm sure as well. But the outcome is most important. If you drop 100 or whatever on a stone and setup and you get what your looking for then your golden. And in 50years one of our relatives can sell the stone and another generation of use and another and another. But the money is a one time thing. Unless you sharpen 100razors a day I don't think you can wear it out.

Top Bottom