What's new

How did you get into shaving with a straight razor?

One desire was to get away from the disposable plastics; now, here I sit with 20 plastic tubs of soap. 🙄

Yeah I've wrestled with that. I have this impression that soapmakers used to ship and sell isolated pucks more often, wrapped in thin plastic wrap or waxed paper. But maybe my memory is incorrect on that point.

. . . soapmakers used to ship and sell isolated pucks more often . . .

One of my full-sized soaps came paper-wrapped and with a wooden bowl. That maker, sadly, is now out of business.

We need a soap-jar equivalent of the old Coke bottle exchange.

I started traditional shaving by wandering into an Art of Shaving Store and walked out with a DE Razor, a brush, and some cream. I loved it so much that I started watching various YouTube channels on shaving and became curious about straight razors. About that same time I found this forum. All of that got me curious about staright razors. Around 9 months after that AoS purchase I bought my first straight razor from a member here at the B&B.

I still DE shave and occassionally use a SE razor, but I use a straight rtazor 4 days out of the week. The other three are either the DE or the SE.

I started traditional shaving by wandering into an Art of Shaving Store and walked out with a DE Razor, a brush, and some cream. I loved it so much that I started watching various YouTube channels on shaving and became curious about straight razors. About that same time I found this forum. All of that got me curious about staright razors. Around 9 months after that AoS purchase I bought my first straight razor from a member here at the B&B.

I still DE shave and occassionally use a SE razor, but I use a straight rtazor 4 days out of the week. The other three are either the DE or the SE.

For some reason I always think of people either using a DE or a straight but not both. I know that's not how it is but if I don't think about it explicitly or see some mention of it I forget.

For some reason I always think of people either using a DE or a straight but not both. I know that's not how it is but if I don't think about it explicitly or see some mention of it I forget.
I now shave with both. Am predominantly a DE shaver but over the last few months have been dipping my toe into the world of straights. Influencers were a certain YT member who gave me lots of encouragement and tips to get over my fears along with some kind members of this forum. Determined to get to a point where I continue to shave my whole face without the need for touch ups with a DE.

Thanks for reading fellas

I started out with DE razors. I was so intrigued by the brushes, soaps, and various products that I naturally investigated straight razors. After watching various YouTube channels I made an appointment with a barber shop that gave straight edge shaves and experienced one. After that I thought, "I should try that myself."

Down the rabbit hole I went!!

I started out with DE razors. I was so intrigued by the brushes, soaps, and various products that I naturally investigated straight razors. After watching various YouTube channels I made an appointment with a barber shop that gave straight edge shaves and experienced one. After that I thought, "I should try that myself."

Down the rabbit hole I went!!
You know you’re getting it when the barber can’t do it as well as you can .

Top Bottom