What's new

Hot Lather Machines?

Hello and thanks for reading.

I tried both v1 and v2 of OneBlade's "Hot Lather Machine", and unfortunately the company gave up on them and refunded my money (with a gift card to their store, of course).

Is there any other "home use" Hot Lather Machine? Ive seen something called LTHR, and of course the behemoth ones for a real barbershop.

Or is hot water and a hot brush just the best available for home use? (I use a brush and usually Proraso cream).

Thank you.

Reactions: Kix
You might enjoy a scuttle. I haven't used one, but the idea is to pour hot water in the bottom and make your shaving cream on the top bowl. The hot water warms the bowl which warms the cream. You should be able to find some reviews on this site.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
In my opinion, one of the joys of life is building my own lather.

Face lathering is immoral but I can't stop myself.480.jpg

I don't know anything about lathering machines. Well, my barber has one, so I've had enough exposure to know I much prefer a nice brush and soap, and making my own lather, and all that.

5-30-23.Opgress.Mike's.Sv30mm.640.JPG

I doubt this helps, but I mean to encourage you to make your own lather. Cal @Cal has recently been using a shave cream which doesn't require a brush. (It's put on with your hands I think.)

Here's a link to mini reviews of some of the machines.

Good luck in finding a solution which works for you.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

linty1

My wallet cries.
I have a conair lather dispenser that doesn't get much use (my unit leaks over time and doesn't store well between uses). It uses canned foam/gel and you pop the nozzle and clip the canister into the head unit. Meh for me.

I love warm later, but most lather machines are designed to dispense some type of shave foam....no thanks. I get around the issue by using a ceramic shave bowl that began life as the mortar bowl of a mortar and pestle set. The mortar has a rough texture inside which is ideal for whipping up a lather in a hurry.

The bowl holds heat well. I preheat the bowl with hot water. It has a flat bottom that rests nicely on a Glade electric wax melter/candle warmer. The wax melter warms the lather and holds it at 120F, which is perfect. I do have to occasionally add a few drops of water to may lather to compensate for evaporation.

Because using any electrical devices near a sink presents some hazards, the electrical out is GFCI protected. I also use a smart plug that automatically turns the device off after 20 minutes so it does not get left on by accident.

It seems more suitable for commercial use since it saves time for the pro barber. I get good results quickly building a warm lather with brush and soap. @RayClem has an interesting idea, though. I've got a ceramic bowl that would work.
Barbers do use lather machines. Due to health regulations, they would not be able to reuse a brush after using it on a client. Unlike combs and scissors, it would be difficult to sterilize a brush.

I hope my candle warmer trick works for you. I love it.

my barber uses a lather machine. Though i don't go there for a shave the barber applies lather with their hands to cut in the neck and side burns. It's a light airy lather and comes out piping hot. For at home use it makes more sense to buy a proper ceramic shave scuttle.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
How I make warm lather on cold winter days by simply running my ceramic shave bowl under hot water for 20-30 seconds with soap inside to warm up also + then warm up brush and then make lather seems to work the best for myself for years. I would have even warmer lather but I like to take a picture of my SOTD and it cools off a little but it is still warm and enjoyable.
(Old archived photo of how to enjoy warm lather in the morning!)
(L) I first press soap in bowl before warming bowl..(R) warming ceramic bowl quickly & then make lather with brush works IMO.
Shaving bowl 2 (2).jpg
Shaving bowl Septemper 11, 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a coffee cup warmer.... the lower temperature is 122F so close to Ray's candle warmer. I switched to a Timeless plastic shaving bowl so there went that idea.

I'm lucky enough to have a two sink bathroom. I use my wife's side to keep the shaving bowl in hot water in between passes. It seems to work well but not as well as the candle warmer. I do have a Captain's Choice heavy copper bowl I shined up to such an amazing luster I use it as an accent bowl so I can admire it while sitting in my favorite chair in the TV room. I also have a lipped ceramic bowl I love but it's a bit small so I have it in storage at the moment. I could use either and return to my coffee cup warmer.

I do keep my shaving bowl floating in hot water as I shower... with the soap smeared along the bottom and enough water so it blooms, if you will, while I shower. It makes the whipping up the lather a cinch, no matter which soap I'm using. Even a hard soap like Canada Shaving Soap will soften up enough so the brush doesn't have to work overtime when making the lather.

linty1

My wallet cries.
For me it's about temperature. Scuttled warm lather is nice, but getting it to a warm enough temperature to be worth it, vs. lathering breaking cuz it's too hot is a balancing act I have trouble with. Also our hot water tank has been lowered a bit as we have a little one/scalding. I've tried using thermometers/finding a good temp.. but that's more fiddly than worth it. Maybe I'll try again with the hot water from the tap, but take it from the kitchen/closer to the tank where it's a bit hotter than what gets up to the bathroom.

Try a scuttle. Fill with hot water, or as I do fill with water and zap in microwave (after making sure scuttle can be zapped! And SO doesn’t object. 😏). Good for very warm three pass shave.
Addictive.

I use a metal scuttle from Naked Armor. Fill with hot water from the tap and you're ready to go. Lasts for the whole shave.

my barber uses a lather machine. Though i don't go there for a shave the barber applies lather with their hands to cut in the neck and side burns. It's a light airy lather and comes out piping hot. For at home use it makes more sense to buy a proper ceramic shave scuttle.
Why not both? Lol Lately I've beem looking at Latherking and Campbell's vintage barber lather machines for the right price. My old barber from the 80s is way long deceased even before my father. His haircuts were mediocre at best. But that hot lather machine and neck shaves is what got me interested in Straight Razors in the first place.

Top Bottom