What's new

Help Restoring a Family Heirloom

Hello all,
I found these forums via Google while looking for information on how to restore this strop. And was hoping for some advice on how best to restore this strop.

Some History:
This strop has been in my family three generations and is quite a beautiful object (the dodgy phone camera photos do not do it justice) I have used itfor five years since I was about 18 but even then it was in very rough shape, prior to that it had not been used for 17 years since the death of my grandfather
The leather was extremely dry when I was given it by my mother and it kept breaking (meaning the length of the strop has reduced significantly over the years I’ve used it) the leather seems to be in poor condition but has stopped breaking (I suspect it’s because with continued use of pastes the leather has become stronger)
Some Photos

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

The Problems:
This is an amazing object that I love very dearly but it is in need of some serious maintenance.
  • Should I replace the leather? And If so what with? Its currently only 25cm long and has some nasty rips in it.
  • The spring that is used to retract the strop has bent out of shape over the years and has become weak.
  • The cylinder housing the strop is bent and needs straightening.
  • The cylinder which the leather wraps around is very bent and stops the leather wraping round the cylinder evenly
  • The casing has lost allot its silver plating; however I’m reluctant to get it replated as I feel this would destroy the character of this object.

I’m hoping to restore this family heirloom to perfect working order (ill keep you updated as I go in this thread) I would be ever so gratefull for any suggestions or help you might be able to offer me.
Kind Regards - Neill

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

From what I can see, the leather has a very bad nick and I don't think that you could glue it back. You might need to replace it unless someone knows how to fix a cut like that.

How those retractable strops works, I don't know. It might be something that you could clean, put back together and leave around as I don't know if you could still get something out of it.

Hi Luc,
Thanks for the welcome

The retracting mechanism its self is quite simple and is working (just barley) at the moment. My current thinking is to find a jeweller/watch maker who can straighten out the casing and have a go fixing or replacing spring.

My main concern is the leather its self and what would be a suitable material to replace it with. I’m not familiar with what makes as good strop and what the best material to replace the original is

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Hi Luc,
Thanks for the welcome

The retracting mechanism its self is quite simple and is working (just barley) at the moment. My current thinking is to find a jeweller/watch maker who can straighten out the casing and have a go fixing or replacing spring.

My main concern is the leather its self and what would be a suitable material to replace it with. I’m not familiar with what makes as good strop and what the best material to replace the original is

Someone on this forum that makes strops can probably cut you a piece of leather at the right width and length...

Hi Luc,
Thanks for the advice.
Do any names spring to mind?

The leather is 38mm wide and 1mm thick id say a length of 60cm would probably do the trick. I suspect the leather could be make a bit thicker to if necessary.

I would be pleased to pay for time, materials and shipping for someone to make up a replacement.

Kind Regards - Neill

Progress!

I've managed to get the retracting mechanism working like new, I shortened the retracing spring a few turns and now its very snapy.

With allot of work ive got all of the bent components back to their correct shape and everything fitts together as it should.

Now to work on aesthetics,
Still toying with the idea of having it re plated in silver, or leave it original to show off its history and just polish it up a bit - any input guys?

In the process of cleaning it ive discovered something a bit odd -a long inscription running around the edge of the main barrel of the strop (normally covered by the end cap) I think it might be the original manufactures details but ill have to clean grease out of the inscription with a pin or something before I can read it.

Still need to find some replacement leather though!
If you make strops - Happy to pay good money for a great quality replacement strap :thumbup1:

Last edited:
For the metal parts I would just polish them with a decent metal polish... things like that were usually a chrome plated metal so I would think any chrome polish you would use on your car would work.

as for the leather you should look in the vendors forum I am sure you can find a few good vendors in there that make strops and could probably make something for you.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.

Ive spent ages calling around speaking to antique restorers about silver plating and these guys seem to have a great reputation: http://www.wjsanders.com.au/
So I’m going to drop it in to them for a quote for replating the silver....I’ve been warned its likely to be quite costly

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

I’ve emailed Ambrose about making a custom strop for the mechanism...fingers crossed he can help:thumbup1:

Well if anyone can make a custom strop for that it would be Ambrose, he is well known for his excellent quality work.

Good luck on your restoration :thumbup1:

If Ambrose helps you out, you are in good hands :thumbup1:.

Since you wanted input, I'd say keep the hard-ware untouched. A good cleaning is enough.
These things have been used & loved & it should show IMO.
Because once you start to use the new leather, it will break in & soon it will look really fine paired with that beautiful metal.

Please keep us updated on the process!

Top Bottom