What's new

Head Shavers-How often do you shave your head?

I shave my head everyday. Using a DE is a bit more of a challange, but after about three weeks I was able to do it without bloodshed :biggrin1:. The technique I use is moistened glycerin soap (MRGLO) rubbed all over and left to sit for a minute or two, very warm towel rinse, preshave (Edwin Jagger or Proraso), brush on shaving cream, lead with my slightly wet left hand full of additional cream and follow behind with my wet blade in the right hand. This seems to ensure there is minimal dry spots that cause blade chatter and massive body fluids erupting :scared:. I finish off with warm wipe, cold rinse, some Thayers Alcohol Free Cucumber Aloe Witch Hazel and whatever is in the daily rotation for after shave balm.

Rinse, Lather and Repeat :thumbup:

Tele

When I have the time, it's every other day. Sometimes when I'm rushed, I just run an electric over my dome to keep the stubble short. I don't like to do that but it makes the next proper shave easier. The face gets a proper DE shave every day.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Once a week. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"Don't ask the barber whether you need a haircut [or shave]". Daniel S. Greenberg

Every other day (in shower; using brush to apply Williams or VDH [that is, the cheapest soaps]; Headblade for just 1 pass + touch-ups, using CVS 2-blade cartridges purchased in bulk online and on sale for 25 cents each). I put my real time, effort, and expense into the face shaves, but I do enjoy my quick "mow the lawn" head shaves.

Head shavers either like it babies butt smooth, or not. As you spend more time shaving your head, you'll get a feel for what you prefer. That will probably determine whether you personally shave every 1-2 days or every 3-4 days. Me, I don't really need it smooth all the time so I go 3-4. However... If I go BBS with my shaves, it makes it easier to go longer and give my scalp time to recover (I just yesterday started using a DE on my head so that may change depending on what kind of razor I use).

BBS shaving it every other day with a Parker DE and either an Astra or Feather blade. Have not got to the point where I trust my skills with a straight to go up top with one. Someday soon, though.

Since my last post :)
I've been shaving my dome every day, unless I'm busy or something. No more than every other day. Been working on my technique for a little over a month, now I can get a BBS every day with no irritation. Been learning how to use my EJ DE89, as long as I'm using good soap (Stirling, RazoRock, etc) and good sharp blades, I can get it done with no nicks. Learning a new skill is fun, esp when ladies want to touch it all the time!

Every 2-3 days. I'd do every day to get a BBS head, but I'm concerned if that is damaging to the skin on the head. I recall hearing that once.

For the last month, I've been shaving my head every day.

Started with an electric razor, then realized my head was approaching the level of Velcro feeling - when I'd try to dry off after a shower, the stubble would grab on to the towel and not let go. Same thing happened with T-shirts, so I decided to switch to shaving with a cart.

That QUICKLY became a bust. Brand new Mach 3 (or a 5, I don't remember - in the words of Scotty, "It is green!"), and after about 3 strokes, the blades were so gunked up it was skipping over my head.

I went back to the electric, and just kept making passed on the scalp, no noticeable difference, when I finally said, "How hard is it to shave with a straight razor?"

Watched several YouTube videos, and saw one was with an Art of Shaving kit and safety razor, and I said, "THAT looks safer than the throat cutter."

The next day, I was at an Art of Shaving store, bought a Muhle, and I've been shaving every day since.

I still get some stubble after I'm done, but so far, no razor burn on the scalp - just my neck under my chin, and that was only ATG. Today was the first day when I finally got a GOOD BBS scalp shave - before, it had all been patchy. The difference was today I did a 3 pass - WTG, XTG, ATG - with glycerin soap, and that made all the difference, at least for me.

I'm discovering that the scalp must be nearly bulletproof compared to my face and neck, because that feels like I'm breaking out in razor burn all over - might be time for me to try an alum block over it instead of the Nivea with Aloe.

Top Bottom