What's new

Haryali strops

I have just brought one, a wide one, as my first strop on my journey into straight razors begins. Are these any good for a first strop ? As have been advised to ignore at all costs by one honer as they apparently ruin edges. Can anyone advise if this is indeed true or just nonsense

Thanks

I have not used a Haryali strop or held one, but from the photos it appears to be cotton linen, with less than quality leather.

I doubt it will ruin your razor, but a quality strop may deliver a better, more polished edge.

Stropping is your last chance to straighten, polish and perfect the edge prior to touching your face. For a few dollars more, probably twice what you invested, you could have a handcrafted, quality leather and flax linen strop that will produce a lifetime of polished edges.

Stropping is a difficult skill to master, it can take up to a year to get to the point where you are consistently improving the edge with each lap. A single errant stroke can roll or damage the edge.

So, stropping technique is more important that a quality strop in the beginning but as you perfect your stropping skill, a higher quality strop will pay larger dividends.

Linen is used post shaving to clean and dry the edge of soap, skin, blood, water and rust, so the edge will last longer. A Flax linen will be a bit more abrasive and can add keenness and higher polish.

Also, if you do not clean the blade all that schmutz ends up on your good leather polishing strop and shortens the life of the edge, with deep scratches that end in chips.

You should be fine stropping on this strop but will need to upgrade as your stropping skills improve. Feel free to ask for advice prior to making purchases, cant go wrong buying quality, but not all expensive gear is quality.

Top Bottom