What's new

Hand forged axe shopping

1.6lbs Roselli vs 2.2lbs GB SFA. 17.7" long Roselli vs 19.6" GB SFA while the handle design of the Roselli gives the same hand hold to top length for swinging so no lose their and this thing is a serious splitter and chopper even one handed.
So the axe for it's size and weight is mind boggling how well it cuts and splits wood. Takes out big chuncks with each swing and one handed too. Went through a 10" diamater or so tree in no time. Splits like a wedge. I was able to split logs and nice size wood both by chopping straight down and by holding length wish with the blade against the side of the log and bringing both down on the chopper at the same time. After testing wiped clean and the edge is like it was when I got it. Very happy with this. Will be great for the yard or hiking, camping and won't wear me out as much as swinging the bigger axes. Plus I can wear it on my belt. Loop is built into the sheath.
Plus considering the price difference with the GB axe while performing better I made the right choice here. I love this thing.

I've had a GB SFA for 15ish years, it's been a trooper for me but I don't use it for splitting except at pheasant camp or when I'm hoofing it a ways. It's definitely happiest limbing but it's been a versatile performer for me.

1674726692692.png

Super sad to hear GB may be having some steel quality problems though. Your writeup on the Roselli has got me really interested, maybe the SFA needs a buddy/backup. :) Thanks for that!

Where do you find Roselli for a reasonable price? I normally buy axes like this from Lamnia. Roselli for me seems to always be more expensive than Gransfor Bruk.

Gränsfors Outdoor hatchet!

I have used mine a lot and it has held up well. I bought this before COVID so, that may or may not explain why mine has proven to be a good model.

I cannot speak to post-COVID Gränsfors problems but, it is reasonable to consider whether some of their most experienced employees didn't return to work.

In terms of cleaving steel and similar problems, something doesn't seem right. Steel impurities? Bad steel melt? Etc., is pretty hard to imagine from a corporate maker like Gränsfors Bruk. Heat treat and quenching are also pretty hard to imagine missing basic quality control from any company in this line of manufacturing without some intentional mismanagement.

Where do you find Roselli for a reasonable price? I normally buy axes like this from Lamnia. Roselli for me seems to always be more expensive than Gransfor Bruk.

Lamnia has it for the more expensive long handled one $104. How is it more expensive than GB? Even the smallest GB hatchet on Lamnia is around $150. That makes no sense. Every GB I see is more than a Roselli

Knives of the North has it with free shipping for $133.

I also remember seeing the head and handle sold separately somewhere and it came to like $80 for the two.

Gränsfors Outdoor hatchet!

I have used mine a lot and it has held up well. I bought this before COVID so, that may or may not explain why mine has proven to be a good model.

I cannot speak to post-COVID Gränsfors problems but, it is reasonable to consider whether some of their most experienced employees didn't return to work.

In terms of cleaving steel and similar problems, something doesn't seem right. Steel impurities? Bad steel melt? Etc., is pretty hard to imagine from a corporate maker like Gränsfors Bruk. Heat treat and quenching are also pretty hard to imagine missing basic quality control from any company in this line of manufacturing without some intentional mismanagement.
Never said they were all bad just seemed to be more with issues in the last few years. Could be they are getting to big and rushing things out the door and missing stuff. Could be quality control on the steel end since they use unknown recycled steel. They don't make their own so have no control of it. They can ask for it, but may not get what they ask for.

Lamnia has it for the more expensive long handled one $104. How is it more expensive than GB? Even the smallest GB hatchet on Lamnia is around $150. That makes no sense. Every GB I see is more than a Roselli

Roselli distribution seems to have gotten better and Gransfor prices seem to have crept up some since I was last in the market.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
After reading this thread and being close to 70, I ended up buying this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084PTMCP4?th=1

I wish I would have returned it. I think it's just too light to be effective. It feel nice.. but like I said: light.

I have a GB carpenter's hatchet I bought decades ago. That thing is beautiful, as I've mentioned. What I really want is an axe with a semi long handle but that isn't too expensive. I use a chainsaw for heavy work around the wooded area in back of our place when needed, but my axe handle broke some time back.... It's getting harder and harder to find good tools at our local retail establishments. They don't seem to carry quality goods any more. All those little hardware stores are gone now.. Replaced by the Ace Hardware stores.... and don't get me started on the big box stores.

24oz in the head is awfully light for a 27" haft. That's hatchet weight to me.

Personally, I find a 2 1/4lb head a bit light in a 27" axe.

My 1250g head axes are easy to carry around but, I find I need to swing them hard enough to cut that I tend to hurt my shoulder. A head a little over 3lb works better for me generally, doesn't seem as tiring, and it rarely causes me any shoulder issues unless I miss what I am swinging at.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
24oz in the head is awfully light for a 27" haft. That's hatchet weight to me.

Personally, I find a 2 1/4lb head a bit light in a 27" axe.

My 1250g head axes are easy to carry around but, I find I need to swing them hard enough to cut that I tend to hurt my shoulder. A head a little over 3lb works better for me generally, doesn't seem as tiring, and it rarely causes me any shoulder issues unless I miss what I am swinging at.
That is exactly my issue... I want the axe head to do the work, not my shoulder. I never would have chosen this axe in person, but I looked at the axes at Home Depot and Ace Hardware and none of those felt right either.

That is exactly my issue... I want the axe head to do the work, not my shoulder. I never would have chosen this axe in person, but I looked at the axes at Home Depot and Ace Hardware and none of those felt right either.

Seems prices have risen a good bit in the last few years. This is the one I got back in 2019 https://www.amazon.com/1844-Helko-Werk-Germany-Woodworker/dp/B00XQ1J21I?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1 and now it is over $50 more than when I got it.
The head is 2 3/4LBS on that one. They have the whole line on Amazon. 1844 Helko Werk Germany - https://www.amazon.com/stores/1844HelkoWerkGermany/1844HelkoWerkGermany/page/EC8B4BB8-256A-47D5-887E-9F1B39FF0698

Sounds like you want something in line with the HW traditional Bavarian woodworkers axe at 3.5LBS. Apparently GB axes don't make a weight in that range. It goes from 2.6lbs and then jumps to 4.6lbs.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Seems prices have risen a good bit in the last few years. This is the one I got back in 2019 https://www.amazon.com/1844-Helko-Werk-Germany-Woodworker/dp/B00XQ1J21I?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1 and now it is over $50 more than when I got it.
The head is 2 3/4LBS on that one. They have the whole line on Amazon. 1844 Helko Werk Germany - https://www.amazon.com/stores/1844HelkoWerkGermany/1844HelkoWerkGermany/page/EC8B4BB8-256A-47D5-887E-9F1B39FF0698

Sounds like you want something in line with the HW traditional Bavarian woodworkers axe at 3.5LBS. Apparently GB axes don't make a weight in that range. It goes from 2.6lbs and then jumps to 4.6lbs.
Thx... I put it on my wish list on Amazon.. I'll take a closer look at their whole line but that might just be the perfect match.

Yes, European axes have all seen pretty significant price increases. At this point, I'm out of the market for them and pretty much stuck with Council Tool options due mainly to price. Council aren't bad but, the EU axes are a bit better overall but, but they are not worth 3 times the price to me. Even their premium axes are about a 1/3 less than the EU options.

Hultafor still seem to be priced reasonably though so, I'll keep an eye on them too.

I remember looking at those and I like them and probably worth the price. I also have seen some small Swedish carving axes made and sold through small busniesses and they all seem to be in that same price range. Unfortunately if I was to spend that amount on an axe I am getting myself an old Finnish Billnäs of some kind.

billnas axe.jpg

These look very nice - thanks for the link!

So the Roselli seems to be what I use for most tasks now. Unless real heavy work is needed, but for most yard work, camp, fire pit, carving and such it is a nice light yet great at splitting blade. The edge retention for me has been phenomenal too. It wipes clean with soap and water and I haven’t had to sharpen much after a good bit of cutting with it. I did add a paracord warp after messing up on a split and smacking the handle a bit on a hard piece of oak, but turns out that wrap also made choking up on it for carving perfect.
5FF53F0D-F20D-496C-9A14-D887394BCD55.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
I picked this up today in a second hand shop as a bit of a project. It has no markings, but the thin handle and wide but fairly thin head makes me think it might be better than the average hardware store axe.

The head is a bit loose. Is there a way I might remove the handle without damaging it, so I can fix it up and rehang it after everything has been cleaned up?

4BD8C4E3-0B55-4EAE-9B26-273A2ED8D9C8.jpeg
6BD224AE-4887-4755-803B-7010746A5570.jpeg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nice axe, I have no idea on how to save the handle and re-use it though. Great buy.

Top Bottom