What's new

Hand Check and VOTD

I see, so basically their making their own flavor concentration. Hell, maybe I just try my own experiment its not like I don't have enough pipe tobacco laying around.

I didnt realize this thread even existed!

I have been using Lime, Tobacco and Tobacco Pure from Volcano Ecigs, also a little flavor called Papa Smurf... tastes like blueberry. I use these on my small 510 batteries, and a mix of banana strawberry kiwi that I make for a tube tank on my lava tube.

I recently got a K100 mod and a smoketech RSST that I am struggling with... just keeps tasting burnt.

I didnt realize this thread even existed!

I have been using Lime, Tobacco and Tobacco Pure from Volcano Ecigs, also a little flavor called Papa Smurf... tastes like blueberry. I use these on my small 510 batteries, and a mix of banana strawberry kiwi that I make for a tube tank on my lava tube.

I recently got a K100 mod and a smoketech RSST that I am struggling with... just keeps tasting burnt.

I have the RSST, and decent luck so far, but it is a bit picky on what juice flavors vape well through it. The tropical fruity ones are great, but when I try my caramel cappuccino, the vape is super harsh and really hot. I don't currently have a variable voltage device I can put it on either, and I think that re-buildable highly benefits from the ability to adjust voltage.

Unless you go sub-ohm like I do with my RSST. Of course you really need to be informed before attempting that.

I'm a cigar and pipe guy mostly, but I think I want an e-cig so I can smoke and read indoors in a comfy chair. Do e-cigs have a room note or leave any smell behind over time? I imagine it couldn't possibly be as bad as smoke.

Imagine that I'm only going to use it a little bit, what's a good one to get? I see that some people go for big expensive ones with high-cap batteries and crazy features, but I think I want something a little more basic.

It's hard to give a recommendation because tastes vary, and every contraption has its down side. It's not so much a matter of the device, but the attachments. For example, an occasional user probably doesn't want a tank; dripping would be ideal, but it's messy; a pipe smoker would want a larger device that produces more vapor. The only solid advice I'm prepared to give is to stay away from plastic devices because they all break too easily.

I wrote an introduction to e-cigarettes that has some of the basics. It would be nice to have some hardware reviews with the pluses and minuses of different types of devices, but we don't have much yet on B&B.

There's no lingering smell, but you should keep away from cats and infants (under 2-4 years of age) who can't metabolize propylene glycol. At the very least, keep the place ventilated if you have one around.

Since others will be bolder with advice, I'll go out on a limb and make a recommendation. I suggest you get a larger device, perhaps one that looks like a pipe. But if you want something small, try the 808 Elite starter kit & the Clear & Easy tanks. They're available from CigEasy. The replacement tanks are rather expensive because they don't last long, but they're very easy to use, and give a very clean flavor, and good smoke volume. In terms of rich "smoke" & flavor, I haven't personally tried anything better. The size of the Elite is perfect for a pipe smoker, especially if you get the kit with 2 devices. On the down side, the chargers I had were flaky--I had to reflow the solder inside them to make them stable--otherwise, I had to jiggle the cable a bit or they wouldn't charge. But mine are over a year old, so perhaps they fixed that quality issue by now. (Most devices have some quality issues.) Unfortunately, it's sort of a dead end kit because you won't be able to upgrade easily as you can with other "510 style" kits. Then again, you could easily get adapters to solve that problem.

Last edited:
If going larger will open me up to more moves in the future I could do that. It's not so much the size as the ease of use that concerns me

Arguably, the Provari is still the gold standard for quality. Not cheap, though. And the industry has moved on to fixed power, while the Provari is still fixed voltage. It's not a big deal unless you constantly change parts.

Last edited:
Arguably, the Provari is still the gold standard for quality. Not cheap, though. And the industry has moved on to fixed power, while the Provari is still fixed voltage. It's not a big deal unless you constantly change parts.

that is true, but you can get a very similar device that I personally own and is top quality from volcano ecigs called the Lavatube. Variable voltage from 3v-6v and has a 510 connection. a bit less expensive.

I'm using Evods at the moment and its really easy to change flavors - but I'm currently enjoying Peach Snuff and Black Champagne from MAddcatt Vapors

My lavatube broke after a few months, and I'm far from alone. But at 1/4 of the price, it might be worth its deficiencies. But that's a value judgement where everyone has a different approach. Like I said earlier, I hate to recommend anything, mostly because of the low quality of nearly everything out there. About 15 devices croaked on me in the two years I've been vaping. Which reminds me, the spring on my reo wore out--I just hope it can be repaired, or perhaps it just needs a good cleaning to stop it sticking--that's the only other device I like enough to recommend.

Last edited:
My lavatube broke after a few months, and I'm far from alone. But at 1/4 of the price, it might be worth its deficiencies. But that's a value judgement where everyone has a different approach. Like I said earlier, I hate to recommend anything, mostly because of the low quality of nearly everything out there. About 15 devices croaked on me in the two years I've been vaping. Which reminds me, the spring on my reo wore out--I just hope it can be repaired, or perhaps it just needs a good cleaning to stop it sticking--that's the only other device I like enough to recommend.

really? mine works great. the only issue I ever had with it was that i fried it trying to use an RSST and I sent it back and they replaced it, no issue. so now I have a brand new one, and that's working great too. Did you get your lavatube from Volcano?

Yes, from Volcano. The plastic end cap broke off. I could probably fix it with epoxy, but don't care to. The lavatube never worked as well as the provari. It has an unstable voltage and droops under load. To me it's just another cheap plastic device. More's the pity that there's just that one piece of plastic that saved them about 10 cents, but they clearly cut other corners, too. Cool enough in its time, but there's dozens of better cheap plastic devices now.

Actually... now that you bring it up, I (just this minute) put a dab of liquid nails on the end cap. If it holds onto the metal screw piece, it'll be functional again. Fortunately, the electronics still worked. Some folks had issues with theirs.

Last edited:
Go with a vgo or one of the variable voltage egos. The regular ego has a low voltage. Other fixed-voltage versions are the same price, so there's no reason to go with this one.

Better, get a variable voltage one. The variable voltage would let you tune in the amount of vapor and the heat to your liking, and can be adjusted for different atomizers/cartomizers/etc, so it's well worth the extra money. The only way to adjust the non-adjustables is to try a different carto.

Last edited:
Made 200ml of unflavored juice tonight. Dropped it from 10mg to 6mg. I'm curious to see how much affect it will have on the throat hit. I would love to make this my last bottle of nic.

Made 200ml of unflavored juice tonight. Dropped it from 10mg to 6mg. I'm curious to see how much affect it will have on the throat hit. I would love to make this my last bottle of nic.

Curious? That's the right word. I ran out tonight and had to make 100ml of unflavored. (More like 85 to leave room for flavoring.)

Top Bottom