What's new

Got an se razor-thanks for helping!

Your picture didn't work. :bored:

But the ivory handle likely makes it a Gem Featherweight. Gem razors are really hard to date, if I were to hazard a guess, I would say mid 1940's to mid 1950's??

I edited my post with a link to it.

Ok, it is most certainly a Gem Featherweight. Nice razor that gives a great shave, although I personally prefer the Gem G Bar (which is a nearly identical razor, but has a metal handle instead of the plastic/ Bakelite.)

The Gem will give you a great shave, and years of wonderful service. :thumbup:

Scott --

Yes, it's a GEM Featherweight flip top. They're a decent shaver, It should serve you well.

-- John Gehman

When done shaving should the blade be removed each time for rinsing, or just open the top and leave the blade in to rinse? And should it be stored between shaves with the top open?

When done shaving should the blade be removed each time for rinsing, or just open the top and leave the blade in to rinse? And should it be stored between shaves with the top open?

SE blades come in two varieties: Carbon steel (such as Treet), and Stainless (such as Gem). The carbon steel varieties will quickly rust if not thoroughly patted dry after use. Even with the Stainless varieties, I still open the head of the razor to allow the blade to air dry.

I am unsure, if having the head of the razor open for extended periods of time would eventually cause extra stress to the spring loaded mechanism.

All you have to do is rinse is and dry it off and leave it, that's what I do for all my gems. The only time I wouldn't is if I weren't using coated stainless steel blades, as the blue carbon ones may rust.

How was the shave? We need more Gemocrats! :thumbup1:

That is the exact razor which I used to introduce myself to SE shaving. I started on Saturday 28th. Have been using it everyday so far and it has been great. Give it a try..

If you're using stainless blades, you might want to avoid all the blade handling. You won't want to open the top to rinse, as there will be nothing holding the blade down and you'll probably drop it into the sink during the rinse. You should be able to leave the razor open between shaves with no problems.

- Chris

I sounds like I should have gotten Gem blades but there's no Walgreens near me, so I picked up some Treet blades tonight. According to the forum suggestions I guess I should pat these dry because of the carbon steel. The package doesn't say what they're made of. How about swishing the razor head in some alcohol after each shave to dry them? About how many shaves can be gotten form a SE blade? And are Gems any better than Treet in terms of performance?

Last edited:
Great pick up on a nice razor, I'm amazed at how many of these I see (and have) that are in similar condition (really great!).

If the blades are carbon, I personally wouldn't leave them in (actually I now remove all blades each day, though this may be over kill, I happen to swap out razors every day). For storage, there are blade boxes and plastic travel soap containers, either makes a good temp. blade storage. I also have an empty dental floss container I pulled the insides from, and use it for blade storage sometimes.

BTW, between the GEM Micromatic, push button, G Bar and the Feather Weight (yours), I get my best shaves from the Feather Weight. I know others here get different results, but...

Of course most prefer the lather catchers or the 1912's to all those models :biggrin: (I'm with them, but still a great nearly effortless BBS from the FW).

Great pick up on a nice razor, I'm amazed at how many of these I see (and have) that are in similar condition (really great!).

If the blades are carbon, I personally wouldn't leave them in (actually I now remove all blades each day, though this may be over kill, I happen to swap out razors every day). For storage, there are blade boxes and plastic travel soap containers, either makes a good temp. blade storage. I also have an empty dental floss container I pulled the insides from, and use it for blade storage sometimes.

BTW, between the GEM Micromatic, push button, G Bar and the Feather Weight (yours), I get my best shaves from the Feather Weight. I know others here get different results, but...

Of course most prefer the lather catchers or the 1912's to all those models :biggrin: (I'm with them, but still a great nearly effortless BBS from the FW).
You're right, there are lot of nice featherweights available and it was hard to make a decision. Glad to hear it works well for you. I was drawn to it because of the lighter weight and also the shape of the plastic handle. To me it somewhat resembles a cartridge razor design, and since I was a cartridge shaver for many, many years I thought the FW might be easier for me to adapt to. It also looks like it may be easier to angle than a DE.

The Gem Featherweight came today and I had my first SE shave. It was a VERY close shave, actually closer than a DE in some areas. I had some problems with my neck. I tried using the proper angle but at times it seemed it wasn't cutting through the whiskers. After several passes it was very close, but I got several cuts and some redness. I guess I need to work on the neck, my skin is looser in that area and whiskers grow horizontally. But a BSS on my cheeks!

I tried using the proper angle but at times it seemed it wasn't cutting through the whiskers.

Just wanted to make sure: your aware that the proper angle with a Gem is to have the head of the razor nearly flat against your face?

Depending on the model, the recommendation is either totally flat against the face, or a few degrees away from flat.

Top Bottom