What's new

Gillette Single Rings with British Patent Numbers

I had my son email these pictures to me.... $DSC01483.jpg$DSC01490.jpg$DSC01494.jpg
I hope that this helps....
Kevin

Thank you and your son for the time and effort. If it would be Pat.Nov.15.04.N it would be a "British" Single ring (I suspect these were produced in the US for England). It just fits into the scheme:
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Gillette_England_Dating_Information
If it lacks the N at the end, I really have no clue.

Adam

I was going to say that your razor, [MENTION=110534]Buick48[/MENTION] is like one of mine, the one marked E130131 on the chart linked by Adam.

Thanks for,the pics.

So this one just arrived:
proxy.php

Incredible patina:
proxy.php

And the ring at the top of the handle is flat in 8 symmetrical places:
proxy.php

The serial no. is on the outside bottom of the barrel
E227772

The Br Pat No. 2876302 at the top of the inside tube

And Gillette logo on the upper side of the baseplate:
proxy.php

What do you think?

R

romsitsa

I'm stuck with British serials so can't comment on details of your razor (except that it fits into the system), but that patina looks simply AWESOME.

Nice catch.

Adam

I'm stuck with British serials so can't comment on details of your razor (except that it fits into the system), but that patina looks simply AWESOME.

Nice catch.

Adam

Thanks Adam! I've never seen such beautiful uniform patina before.

What do you think about the flattened sections on the collar ring?

Has somebody filed them for some reason, or are there other Single Rings with that feature?

R

romsitsa

I don't know any other Sr with this feature, and now my guesses:
It looks like some material is pressed down toward the knurled part, so I'd say it wasn't filed down but the collar was pressed together with some kind of tool, for some unknown reason. I don't know any handtool that has eight sides and works as a clamp?
Maybe the owner messed up some repairs? and after noticing made some further marks so it looks more uniform?

It looks quite unique.

Adam

R

romsitsa

Hello Gents,

found an empty 460 box today, yes, it's British...

After restoring it I compared it my other cases and I think there is some kind of patter.

There is a

1. metal box with printed on logo, patent dates and British patent number in a rectangle
2. metal box with ribbon glued in, patent numbers are listed
3. leather covered box with printed on logo, Limited license printed on back
4. leather covered box with printed on logo, Limited licence printed on back

The boxes with printed on logo are smaller in height then the ones with ribbons.
According to the internet the word lincense is not used in US English.

$IMG_1891.jpg $IMG_1892.jpg $IMG_1893.jpg $IMG_1894.jpg

Adam

Hello Gents,

found an empty 460 box today, yes, it's British...

After restoring it I compared it my other cases and I think there is some kind of patter.

There is a

1. metal box with printed on logo, patent dates and British patent number in a rectangle
2. metal box with ribbon glued in, patent numbers are listed
3. leather covered box with printed on logo, Limited license printed on back
4. leather covered box with printed on logo, Limited licence printed on back

The boxes with printed on logo are smaller in height then the ones with ribbons.
According to the internet the word lincense is not used in US English.

View attachment 703718 View attachment 703719 View attachment 703720 View attachment 703721

Adam

Very interesting - my E227772 has the leather covered box with "LICENCE"
proxy.php

R

romsitsa

Great, upside down photos and messed up text. Sorry about it.
4. should be leather covered box, emblem on ribbon and Limited licence printed on back.

Thanks for the inputs, although three boxes are not a real sample, based on English grammar the leather covered boxes with ribbons should be US made?

Adam

...based on English grammar the leather covered boxes with ribbons should be US made?

Adam
That makes sense Adam.

Please forgive my ignorance but would that mean that the British sets with US made ("Licence") boxes pre-date the ones with the British made ("License") boxes?

In other words, production facilities to produce the boxes in Britain were set up later?

R

romsitsa

I'm assuming metal boxes were always US made, not sure about wood/leather ones. I'm further assuming that there are US razors that mimic British production. These would be the ones with E or F serials and Pat.Nov.... N patent stamps, but without enough information to date E F series it's impossible to say wether these were produced pre, post or at the same time as "real" British Sr-s.

Adam

I hope this is 't too OT because there's no patent nos. on this one I'm afraid - I'd wondered
proxy.php
if it was a rare variant but closer inspection shows that someone has replaced the handle tube with an iron replacement (which was rusted inside).
proxy.php

proxy.php

I'd love to know the story behind this one...

Top Bottom