What's new

Gillette Single Rings with British Patent Numbers

R

romsitsa

Poor thing. It's a British manufactured Sr after the new factory opened, around 1921-22 as it has no date code.

Adam

I have a nothing special early British Pat. marked Single Ring with an "A" serial number. These early razors were made in Boston for the Brit market before the factory in the Leicester got up and running.

I don't want to go too OT here, but I shaved with my Brit Pat Single Ring this morning and was just blown away by how good the shave was.

Admittedly it was with a modern thin stainless blade, and I loosened the handle a quarter turn as suggested to boost the aggression.

So over 100 years ago Gillette got it just right straight out of the box!
Perhaps all the DEs that followed weren't really improvements at all just variations on the theme.

Do the British SRs have more aggression than their US counterparts, or do they shave the same?
proxy.php

proxy.php

[MENTION=67066]mjclark[/MENTION]

Congrats on the shave!

I don't find differences between US and English SRs in terms of aggressiveness ... I mean, OTs are really unpredictable, some of them are smooth, some of them are more aggressive...

[MENTION=67066]mjclark[/MENTION]

Congrats on the shave!

I don't find differences between US and English SRs in terms of aggressiveness ... I mean, OTs are really unpredictable, some of them are smooth, some of them are more aggressive...

Thanks! That's very helpful to know [emoji3]

[MENTION=67066]mjclark[/MENTION], where did you find the ad/paper. That is awesome! Are you planning on leaving the patina?

[MENTION=67066]mjclark[/MENTION], where did you find the ad/paper. That is awesome! Are you planning on leaving the patina?

Thanks - the ads are original magazine pages from Punch which were listed on the Bay. I've had them laminated now so they can last at least another 100 years.

And I'm definitely leaving the patina - it's the most beautiful and uniform that I've ever seen.
It's hard to imagine what conditions could have generated it so perfectly.

Another mystery is the symmetrical flat sections on the "Ring" of this razor.

I've been delivered a new Brit-Pat example, somehow strange though.

The condition is sad, but it's cost me GBP8, plus shipping, so...

The case exterior is almost totally lost. The interior shows the script logo and is in not much better condition. The cardboard blade safes are a mismatch. It comes from England.

The razor might clean-up nicely, yet I'm afraid there's some plate loss.

There's no logo at all. No diamond, no GinD, no nothing. And no serial number either.

But it's got BRIT.PAT.Nº 28.763 of 02 on the outer barrel, above the knob.
And BR.PAT. no 2876302 on the upper part of the inner barrel.

Hmm.... I can't find any other example like this on the chart we're making here. Maybe it's a terribly messy mismatch...

Any comments?

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I've been delivered a new Brit-Pat example, somehow strange though.

The condition is sad, but it's cost me GBP8, plus shipping, so...

The case exterior is almost totally lost. The interior shows the script logo and is in not much better condition. The cardboard blade safes are a mismatch.

The razor might clean-up nicely, yet I'm afraid there's some plate loss.

There's no logo at all. No diamond, no GinD, no nothing. And no serial number either.

But it's got BRIT.PAT.Nº 28.763 of 02 on the outer barrel, above the knob.
And BR.PAT. no 2876302 on the upper part of the inner barrel.

Hmm.... I can't find any other example like this on the chart we're making here. Maybe it's a terribly messy mismatch...

Any comments?

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
Total waste. I will gladly dispose of it for you. [emoji6]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Maybe it's a terribly messy mismatch...

That would seem to be the most likely explanation. It may be just my aged eyes but I am seeing what could could be a very faint serial number on the comb. Perhap a could cleanup may reveal more information.
Cheers, George

Mine is #E266131 on the handle. Brit Pat # 28763.02 located on the inner cylinder. Has the Gillette logo on the upper side of the baseplate. My SR came from Crawley, West Sussex, United Kingdom.
No photos, sorry! You have to trust my word, folks! :tongue_sm

That would seem to be the most likely explanation. It may be just my aged eyes but I am seeing what could could be a very faint serial number on the comb. Perhap a could cleanup may reveal more information.
Cheers, George

Thanks, George. I'm afraid I agree, a mess...

As for the number, can't see it now. The razor is soaking (dishwash, water), after the foil/soda treatment (which did nothing, so it's not silver plated...). Shall see!

Top Bottom