What's new

Gillette Series Cool Wave After Shave,

The only all-season "drugstore" aftershave my wife will tolerate, because it's the only one that doesn't say "old" to her. I enjoy the scent; it is pleasant without calling attention to itself. I wear it on its own, or layered under my black fragrances and it pairs nicely with all the ones I have.

That Walgreens deal is pretty good. Think I'll look into that. Two new bottles plus the half I already have should keep me for a couple of years.

Walgreens online has GCW at $4.99, get a second one for 1/2 off and if you hit $35 on the order you get free shipping. Hit $40 on the order and get another 15% off.

Bought the deal. FYI, if you have a Walgreens near you (who doesn't have a Walgreens nearby? They're everywhere) you can have it shipped to the store for free with no minimum order.

IMO it's identical to AV Sport. I'm told AV Sport is only available here in Canada. So if you feel you're missing out on something you're not.

People perceive frags differently quite often. For example, to me, AV Sport and GCW are not identical or even close really. Maybe I'd say they're very distant cousins, in a vague sense. The ingredients lists on their bottles speak to this, as does my nose. The absence of artificial coloring in GCW is enough of a reason for me to prefer it, and it's lack of menthol makes for a nice change of pace. The face-feel is different between the two also, I attribute this to AV containing glycerine, where GCW uses castor oil.
But someone else's nose might think differently, or they might think both smell like something else entirely different. I once read that someone thought Sport smelled like Old Spice.... so one never knows who is going to think what about which fragrance.

It's a very nice modern clean fresh scent and the glass bottle definitely makes it worth the price and then some. I think it smells pretty great. There's also a gillette blue gel/balm version in the upside down blue plastic bottle with basically the same scent, but i think i like the smell of the glass liquid splash better.

I could see it being compared the green Aqua Velva Sport as they ARE in the same family of clean modern scents,...which means they're NOT smoky or leathery or perfumey or old timey powdery at all......but they are definitely not the same, they each have their own unique characteristics different from each other.

The green AV Sport has a bit of spearminty/spicy zip to it that sets it apart from the straight clean freshness of the gillette splash.

unless maybe you were referring to Aqua Velva Ice Sport, which comes in the square blue bottle...i could see it being compared to that but i'd still give the same answer as above,- they're in the same general family of scents, but still very different.

AV Ice Sport smells alot like Davidoff Cool Water, and it really announces its presence, can be a little strong at first......Gillette Cool Wave is more mellow & subdued in comparison, i like them both, but I like gillette better.

The face-feel is different between the two also, I attribute this to AV containing glycerine, where GCW uses castor oil.

The PEG-60 castor oil is not a great emollient IMO. As far as I can tell it's just used as an emulsifier to make sure the fragrance oils distribute in the alcohol so they don't separate and make you shake the bottle before you use it. I add a teaspoon of liquid vegetable glycerin to a bottle of GCW. I find it works much better as an aftershave that way. Gives the AV-style face feel.

PEG-40, is a multipurpose sorta thing, one of the uses for it is as an emoillient. It is known to have a 'light' emoillent effect, but that is what I prefer. For me, this is a case where less is much much more and better too.

I dislike that feeling of sensing glycerine in AS, tremendously. While I sorta like the smell of AV, the dry down is cheap and tacky feeling to me. That is not what I'm looking for in an aftershave splash.

I do, however, like the face-feel I experience from GCW, my skin just feels good in a natural and 'open' way.

Top Bottom