What's new

Gillette Series Cool Wave After Shave,

One of my favorites. The scent is not a classic, not like Clubman or Skin Bracer or AV, but not as "nautical" as many modern scents. Sorry I am a poor describer of smells. There was a rumor if was being discontinued, but I see lots of it still on the shelves. I snagged a couple extra bottles in case it is true.

I like it. A more modern scent, like Adidas Dynamic Pulse aftershave, and one that pairs nicely with some of my warm weather colognes. I saw some discounted for clearance and picked up a second bottle.

It is in a glass bottle, which is reason enough to get it.

Somebody mentioned recently that Gillette (Procter & Gamble now) is discontinuing the Cool Wave. Not sure if that's true, and you can ask Gillette's customer service about that (they're good with consumer questions). But if it's true, and if you want it, you might want to get it now.

I really like Cool Wave. It got nice skin feel for me. The scent is sort of aquatic I guess... nice.
Cool Wave is my most used AS. Adding a tiny amount of Old Spice Pure Sport can enhance the scent.
I'd say about 1/2oz to a full bottle of Cool Wave is just about right.
If you find it for $4 or less, stock up!

I like the scent of it, and it goes on nice and soothing (with the appropriate alcohol zap!). The only thing I didn't like, is what I think is the castor oil. To me, the castor oil seems to come through a little later in the day. It reminded me of a few months ago when I tried a bottle of Old Spice. I used it once and tossed it. After trying the Cool Wave, I realized it was the castor oil I wasn't liking. (off topic - I did check out CVS' Old Spice equivalent, and it does not contain castor oil. I did like the scent of it, so I'm going to try that sometime in the future.)

Anyway, it's a good aftershave. The castor oil smell isn't overpowering or anything, but I guess my sniffer is just sensitive to it. It's still on the shelf with my other aftershaves, so I'll use it some more, and give it a fair chance. I'll probably get used to it.

I may be one of the folks you guys are referring to when it comes to Gillette Cool Wave being discontinued. Back in August I emailed them and here's the key sentence from their reply: "We stopped making Gillette Series Aftershave Splash in April 2015. Most stores will have sold out now so it will be difficult to find any with stock left." But I see it all the time on shelves, so who knows?

I may be one of the folks you guys are referring to when it comes to Gillette Cool Wave being discontinued. Back in August I emailed them and here's the key sentence from their reply: "We stopped making Gillette Series Aftershave Splash in April 2015. Most stores will have sold out now so it will be difficult to find any with stock left." But I see it all the time on shelves, so who knows?

On Gillette's website, they don't show any aftershaves, just a couple of post shave gels/balms. They must have had a ton of it left in stock when they stopped making it. I still see it at my local Walmart.

Well i like it a lot.It is considered a fougere scent believe it or not.It is quite modern there's a water feeling
There is a green vibe that comes around.
It is different than cool water and smells like gillette series gel or a medicine cabinete.
In the background i detext some aldehydes and something like lavender with ozonic notes.

I bought this cool wave aftershave splash at my local cvs today for around 7 dollars. I just used it and I gotta say, I like it very much. My local cvs had a few bottles of this stuff, so I find it hard to believe it has been discontinued because the expiration date on my bottle says 2019. I like the scent on this better than pinaud clubman and I would put it just below aqua velva ice blue. All in all, a very good splash and I love the fact that it's made in France and that it comes in a glass bottle.

great modern scent, and a great bottle for re-use once it's used up. my old bottle now contains Windjammer. I may have to pick up another if it's really going away..

OK, so I used the Cool Wave again this morning, and whatever was disagreeing with me last time, doesn't appear to be bothering me this time. So far, it's a pretty pleasant fragrance wafting around me today. Like just about any other a/s, it was a little too strong at first, but it's mellowed out pretty nice now... Glad I gave it another shot! Now to go get another bottle or two, in case the rumors about it being discontinued are true.

There was about a dozen bottles at my local Walmart Express a couple of weeks ago, so I grabbed two and stashed them in the cabinet under the sink.

Yesterday, I was on Gillette's website and engaged the chat function. I asked Taylor, the chat representative, about the rumors that they were discontinuing the Cool Wave Splash. He/She had to take a couple of minutes to go find out and came back with "My information tells me that it is not discontinued and I don't see anything that says that Gillette is planning to". So, good news, perhaps!!

I really like the scent of Cool Wave. Reminds me of a Drakkar Noir kinda smell (Im not great with scents either). If find the scent very strong and long lasting however so I don't wear it to work.

I read somewhere it is a frougere so it is an old school scent. I also read on here its discontinued. I think the current inventory is getting low ie my cvs store had it on sale only 1 left.

If it is a classic frougere scent im wondering what is for sale thats similar but better and in an edc.

I think Penn Sartorial may be similar.

I read somewhere it is a frougere so it is an old school scent. I also read on here its discontinued. I think the current inventory is getting low ie my cvs store had it on sale only 1 left.

If it is a classic frougere scent im wondering what is for sale thats similar but better and in an edc.

I think Penn Sartorial may be similar.
There was a time, a year or two ago, that there was not only rumor and chatter on here, as well as communications from Gillette that they would no longer be making the Cool Wave scent (in A/S splash, lotion, gel, or deodorant). This was also accompanied with all of these products disappearing from many local sources, all of mine included, and the typical gouge-fest that occurs on eBay and other online vendors. As is typical around here most members stated that it was difficult, if not impossible, to find locally, while some members reported no local supply interruption or lack of available product, the outliers.

I was in a Walmart somewhere out of state and noticed that they had a fully-stocked shelf of the splash so I purchased a few, after having purchased all two of the locally remaining gels. Fast-forward to the present and now they're all available at the same local retailers again, as well as no longer being ridiculously priced online.

I'm guessing that Gillette came to their senses and realized that they can make way for their new products while continuing to manufacture and sell their older, but still relatively popular, products. I know that P&G/Gillette (North America) have spent the last 120 years inventing "new" stuff to replace their "old" stuff (reinventing the wheel, but not really), in a mostly successful attempt to keep their consumers hooked and constantly buying their proprietary shaving "systems" and their appurtenances, accessories, face washes and creams. I'm guessing that Gillette took a lesson, in their aftershave line at the least, from Old Spice (also P&G), Brut, and many other companies who've, with relative success, continued making and selling their original flagship items while also continuing to come up with new ones.

To the OP, yes it's worth it, it smells great, and it lasts a long time. More of an aftershave cologne in my book.

I just wish Dana would clear up the whatnot and shadiness that's been going on with English Leather....but that's another thread.

Walgreens online has GCW at $4.99, get a second one for 1/2 off and if you hit $35 on the order you get free shipping. Hit $40 on the order and get another 15% off.

Top Bottom