What's new

Gillette Old Type- Thick or Thin

I have a huge hit n' miss rate with 'popular' gillette models. The only one that has been consistant for me are the OT's. Thin cap being perfect for me - all day, everyday - thick cap being slightly milder. Whether its my skin type, shape, technique... I dont know...but an OT is my go to razor when i need a good shave without any drama. Everyone should have at least one! :001_smile

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Thank you for the input. As a new DE shaver, I intend to continue using the Super Speed as my primary razor to improve my technique. It just makes sense to use such a wonderfully mild and comfortable razor as my "learning tool".

I still intend to pick up the Old Type set. It's a fantastic little set, and I definitely want to add it to the collection, even if I only clean it up and shave with it on "special occasions"...

Make Sure You Post Some Pictures When You get Her

All I can say is last night I tried with my bare hand to bend the thin cap from my 1917 Gillette Old Type razor, AND I COULD NOT DO IT. And I'm a pretty strong guy.

To bend it, I would have to put it in a vice and do some vary serious and deliberate pushing. Maybe put a Crescent wrench on it and with leverage push hard. This is a mystery. Any other folks have ideas? How were these thin caps bent? Not by dropping. And not in normal use. Then . . . what?

I have a huge hit n' miss rate with 'popular' gillette models. The only one that has been consistant for me are the OT's. Thin cap being perfect for me - all day, everyday - thick cap being slightly milder. Whether its my skin type, shape, technique... I dont know...but an OT is my go to razor when i need a good shave without any drama. Everyone should have at least one! :001_smile
Oh, I'm gonna pick it up. It's in too good of shape and at too good of a price for me to let it go to someone else. When I have my technique down a little better, I will absolutely give her a day in court and see what kind of a shave I can produce with her...

Make Sure You Post Some Pictures When You get Her
I will. I''l post pics before and after cleanup, of the whole set, and of the razor put together...

Thank you, gentlemen, for taking the time to reply to my questions. I really appreciate it!

All I can say is last night I tried with my bare hand to bend the thin cap from my 1917 Gillette Old Type razor, AND I COULD NOT DO IT. And I'm a pretty strong guy.

To bend it, I would have to put it in a vice and do some vary serious and deliberate pushing. Maybe put a Crescent wrench on it and with leverage push hard. This is a mystery. Any other folks have ideas? How were these thin caps bent? Not by dropping. And not in normal use. Then . . . what?

Hi,

Most definitely by dropping. Even from five feet. A human's hands only produce a fraction of the force imparted by gravity coupled with an inelastic collision. Try putting your razor on a bench and hitting it with a 16oz hammer from a distance of 6 inches using your human strength. That'd be pretty close to the force of gravity over 5 feet onto tile. ;)

No! Don't really do that! Just think about what might happen if you did! No need to harm a perfectly good razor here!

Stan

I guess I opened this can of worms. Maybe I can seal it back up by providing that verifiable history that I mentioned?

Thank you for posting that, I'm reading the newsletter now, absolutely fascinating. And, I have to say, in 1918, we had a much more literate society.

Last edited:
Top Bottom